Actually this is the third engine I have put in my van. And fourth transmissions. Seems the Oldsmobile had a engineering defect. The cam shaft breaks. I was going to trade it in and my hubby did not want me to because he said we don't want a car payment cause this one was paid off. I had 126,000 miles on it when it blew. Another late night travel adventure. I had gone to Barren Lake for the weekend with one of my dogs and my jet ski. I was on the way home at midnight. I got to Bowling Green KY when it blew. I had the tow truck driver bring me all the way home. A two hour drive.
I put in a Jasper re manufactured engine and a new transmission. About a year later the transmission failed so they replaced it. A few months later I complained that the transmission was not right so they replaced it and then called to tell me they were not happy with the engine. I had complained about the engine also but they would lift the hood and say... gee it sounds fine to me.
I complained about this engine from the first day saying it was loud and had a strange click to it. Again everyone I took it to said... gee it sounds fine to me. I know my car and know that engine was not right but got feed up and just crossed my fingers that it would blow before the warranty ran out. No such luck. So as I went over 180,000 miles which was less than 30,000 on this engine. It decided it would go no more. And yes the oil and water was fine I get my car serviced regularly since I travel so much. I do NOT like to have car problems on the road.
Luckily it blew just an hour away from the Jasper plant so I got a tow to the plant. Of course they remembered me. Sure was cold sleeping in the front seat of the car until they opened. I wish I had brought a long extension cord with me I would have ran it from the building and turned on the dog hair dryer to keep warm. It helped having a dog in my lap to keep me warm. It will be interesting to see what they say the problem is but my bet is on the cam shaft. Because as soon as that goes the oil light comes on because it drives the oil pump. But I guess it could be a bad oil pump.
One of my coins from NY was a 1918 Walker. She is a crusty old lady. LOL
Thanks
Cat