tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wrong forum, but here it is. Drove my buddy downstate to pick up a car. Across the street from the dealer was what remains of an old farmsite. Planted oak trees at least from the mid 1800's line what was the front of the property. Went over and talked to the owner. The house was moved back from the road and turned to face a different road so the original homesite is clear and virgin. Never been hunted! The owner gave permission immediately so that will be my first real hunt of the new year. Dave has always been hung up on what if they say no. If you don't ask it's already no. He's learning!

Upvote 13

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice new permission. I have always enjoyed getting a permission, though I usually try to catch them in the field, mowing grass or maybe sitting on the porch. In my mind this method I could not be considered snooping if there was no one at home. In my opinion I would not want anyone knocking on or possibly (trying) my door if I wasn't home. JMO

GL out there!!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the new permission! Looking forward to seeing your finds! :occasion14:

OP
OP
tomhighland

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will definitely post the finds in a few weeks. It was a good sized farm until the town squeezed in on it. Still a few acres or more of good search area with over 150 years of daily living on it. Google Earth has provided me with several other places for this season too. One is embarrassing. We detected for hours one day last summer and couldn't even see an abandoned farm across the street. Wasn't there in 1931 according to the topographical map. Was there in 1954 on aerial photography mapping. Possibly a WWII vets use of his GI loan. Abandoned by mid 70's. It is huge though. Good research season. Hopefully the sites yield some good finds.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was in high school, 3 buddies and myself used to hunt pheasants. We'd drive around looking for a likely spot, then we would take turns asking permission. It was interesting to see the results. One guy ALWAYS got permission. Another NEVER got permission. Me and the 4th guy did so-so. The guy that always got permission went on to become a salesman after school and became rich. We called him "the golden tongue". After we figured out Ray always got permission, he always went and asked. Some guys have a better "gift of gab" than others. I'm doing okay so far asking permission for detecting around here. You won't know until you ask. Gary

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was in high school, 3 buddies and myself used to hunt pheasants. We'd drive around looking for a likely spot, then we would take turns asking permission. It was interesting to see the results. One guy ALWAYS got permission. Another NEVER got permission. Me and the 4th guy did so-so. The guy that always got permission went on to become a salesman after school and became rich. We called him "the golden tongue". After we figured out Ray always got permission, he always went and asked. Some guys have a better "gift of gab" than others. I'm doing okay so far asking permission for detecting around here. You won't know until you ask. Gary
Pheasents I was detecting in a field the grass was kinda tall this is a little while after my bee attack, Im swinging along no one around for miles in my own world when all of a sudded this huge explosion I thimk I stepped on it Boooom flap flap flap I dropped all my gear poops flying (mine) Im dragging my detecter by the head phones I left skid marks running so fast it was this huge prehistoric sized pheasant I think I laid a few eggs as well those things will scare the crap out of you here in Mi

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job with the permission My one I asked shot me down like a skeet but Ill keep trying not like Ive never beem told no before That was my Moms favorate word

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yep, there's more to it than just asking "can I detect your yard". You have to sell yourself first and you only have a few seconds or minutes to do it before you pop the question. Sometime they offer to let me detect their yard before I even get around to asking. There's one thing that I won't do, knock on someone's door because I hate having anyone knock on my door. I like to catch them out in the yard. Keep this in mind, most homeowners will say yes if asked in the right way because by nature people hate to say no to anyone.

tabman

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some very good points. Gotta do some myself

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell him if they say no, you politely thank them for their time and walk away. I have Treasure Hunting business cards that I had made up, and hand to the homeowner as I'm starting to speak. I find this helps break the ice a little so they are a little more relaxed. It does take a few times to be "shot down", but it happens in this hobby. I have about an 80 % success rate on receiving permission to do a homeowners yard. The success rate for permission goes up when I'm hunting the farm fields.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread