Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab E-Trac. Cherry pick what you dig and you get a very high goods-to-trash ratio.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean all the trash out on the first hunt then go back later for the goodies. :)

You can certainly cherry pick your signals but if your like me the broken deep signals tempt me way too much to cherry pick. Crank up your discrimination if you want to but most would advise against that.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good responses. But the only advice I can give is experience with the detector. While I can set my Fisher up to dig just coins. My bounty Hunter has to be notched and it still digs a lot of trash. If you don't want trash, don't go near the trash. That's hard to do if your looking for coins and stuff lol. Try this, lace a quarter or dime on the ground. Tune your detector to only pick up that signal. Wish you luck.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are different methods of "cherry picking" but anyone who claims you should "Clean all the trash out on the first hunt" Is full of it. The places I hunt have so much garbage you couldn't get out of a 10x10 foot square in a full day of hunting if you were trying to clear out everything.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are different methods of "cherry picking" but anyone who claims you should "Clean all the trash out on the first hunt" Is full of it. The places I hunt have so much garbage you couldn't get out of a 10x10 foot square in a full day of hunting if you were trying to clear out everything.

It was a joke. Metal detecting without trash is like believing everything you read on the internet. You can't do it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just MAX out your discrimination - you'll lose gold, but the silver will still sound off. Good Luck!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just MAX out your discrimination - you'll lose gold, but the silver will still sound off. Good Luck!

You can't make blanket statements like that. Not all detectors still use knobs to set disc level. I can blank out all silver and only dig nickles, only foil, or however I want to set it up.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You really have to have a great detector to be able to do this accurately.

However, I have a ctx3030, and still dig pretty much everything. I've dug buttons that I could have swore was trash. Some targets are deep and on edge, even the best of machines won't read these perfectly.

When in doubt, dig it, it'll only waste a minute of your time.

So to avoid digging junk, I just avoid hunting areas that you can see are trashy; and signals that scatter on my screen; these are almost never good.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can't make blanket statements like that. Not all detectors still use knobs to set disc level. I can blank out all silver and only dig nickles, only foil, or however I want to set it up.

I can when you are swinging a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread