What's new

Teeny tiny fishing reel

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2013
Messages
1,593
Reaction score
1,670
Golden Thread
0
Location
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in PA last week, never knew they made them this small, thought it was a toy at first, seems to be all brass, pretty cool and seems old, thought it was worth posting. It's like a bait caster reel but has no switch to free spin the spool.


R3.webpR2.webpR1.webp
 
Upvote 26
vintage Ice fishing reel.vanzutphen
 
Nice , maybe worlds first pocket reel ? :occasion14:
 
Looks like a hendryx fishing reel around 1890! Mine has some patent dates from mar21 187? And july10 188? The app won't let me post a pic but it looks very close
 
Cool find. Bet it'll display nicely.:thumbsup:
 
Looks like a hendryx fishing reel around 1890! Mine has some patent dates from mar21 187? And july10 188? The app won't let me post a pic but it looks very close

I looked at some Hendryx reel images on Google, it does look very close but I do not see any markings on mine as or where the Hendryx's reels have there name and patent dates.

Thanks.
 
Congrats on the find. That is really cool.
 
Could be an antique fly fishing reel too.

I have seen some of the older models that were wide like the one you found.

Hit
 
I'm a fly fisher man and would say fly reel. Nothing crazy but cool. I have been looking around my fishing holes for one like it to display. Cool
 
Just the right size when fishing for minnows in a goldfish bowl!

NEAT!
 
Dirt Fishing!
 
The small sterling I have is about the same size.I have it in my B.O.B.It could come in handy.
 
vintage Ice fishing reel.vanzutphen

I don't know, the foot of the reel is a little too big for that, thinking old fly reel. Whipping feathers with silk line on a split Boo' rod....gratification
 
Last edited:
I looked at some Hendryx reel images on Google, it does look very close but I do not see any markings on mine as or where the Hendryx's reels have there name and patent dates.

Thanks.

Maybe it's an antique Chinese knock-off of an antique Hendryx?:dontknow:
 
*also, the lack of the drag switch lends credence that it's a fly reel..."fight the fish on the line, not the reel"
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom