What's new

Teeth

Bow Only

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2016
Messages
254
Reaction score
485
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am ashamed to say this, but this one had bigger teeth when I found it. Once during transport, it bumped into another point and lost the teeth on the left side. I wasn't happy. This point came from an isolated single component site with no apparent water source. The site was found by accident by walking to another site that we thought would be be good. Everyone, including us, would drive right by this site because no Native Americans would have a site 400 yards from a water source. There was water there back then and this point was made by a group that I call "The Good Kirk Peoples." When you find hundreds of Kirk points from dozens of sites, you get an idea of what type of points the Kirk people made and what their points look like. This point, and the other points found at this site are different. The materials were better, the craftsmanship was better, and the look is slightly different. This is the only site I've ever found that has points that look like they do. I've seen other people's points who have found points from these people, but in my county, this was the only site we ever found from them. They're pretty easy to distinguish. There are other Kirk people that I call "The Old Kirk People" and their points are distinguishable. My belief is that these people made towards the beginning of the culture based on the associated artifacts found and their patina. It's interesting to talk about.
 

Attachments

  • Teeth.webp
    Teeth.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 0
arrow_head.gif
Nice find (regardless of the teeth loss) and loved the history lesson. Thanks!
 
Still a very nice point!!! I like your thoughts on the KIRK people. I'm down to two brain cells,, I don't analyze any more.
 
Nice looking point, Bow. Would it be okay for the rest of us to post similar points here without hijacking your post? A good thread topic to post like types without scattering threads all over the place.
 
I am ashamed to say this, but this one had bigger teeth when I found it. Once during transport, it bumped into another point and lost the teeth on the left side. I wasn't happy. This point came from an isolated single component site with no apparent water source. The site was found by accident by walking to another site that we thought would be be good. Everyone, including us, would drive right by this site because no Native Americans would have a site 400 yards from a water source. There was water there back then and this point was made by a group that I call "The Good Kirk Peoples." When you find hundreds of Kirk points from dozens of sites, you get an idea of what type of points the Kirk people made and what their points look like. This point, and the other points found at this site are different. The materials were better, the craftsmanship was better, and the look is slightly different. This is the only site I've ever found that has points that look like they do. I've seen other people's points who have found points from these people, but in my county, this was the only site we ever found from them. They're pretty easy to distinguish. There are other Kirk people that I call "The Old Kirk People" and their points are distinguishable. My belief is that these people made towards the beginning of the culture based on the associated artifacts found and their patina. It's interesting to talk about.

That is a very nice point regardless of the missing teeth!
That's a great point about water sources. I have found that if there is a creek somewhere nearby, there were probably Indians there also. The land has changed so much since Archaic times that we have no idea where they sourced their water. I looked at a map of Mitchell County from 1937 compared to today, and the number of creeks that have disappeared is astonishing. Whether because of farming or development, it is completely different.
 
I've got a couple that look a lot like that both from Bibb County Ga. One of my helpers found them on his family's farm and he gave them to me. I will try to locate them and post a pic.
 
Nice point, it almost looks like it has some cottonbridge attributes as well doesn't it.
 
Is the base snapped and what do you think of the snapped base theory? Very nice looking point. What I use that umm extra toilet paper for.lol.
 
Nice looking point, Bow. Would it be okay for the rest of us to post similar points here without hijacking your post? A good thread topic to post like types without scattering threads all over the place.
Post away. I'm hoping some points will be from this group of people. The more we talk and relate our finds, the more we can learn.
Nice point, it almost looks like it has some cottonbridge attributes as well doesn't it.
Both are Kirk points. Cottonbridge is a stylized Kirk just like an Abbey is.
Is the base snapped and what do you think of the snapped base theory? Very nice looking point. What I use that umm extra toilet paper for.lol.
Some of the points we found from this group did have snapped bases but this one technically isn't snapped. I think it's cortex. What have you heard about the snapped base theory?
 
Thanks, Bow.

All these are from the same site. The ones in the first pic were cached, with the one on the right being made that way with flaking extending about halfway down into the gap. Many exhibit the same mucronate tip that yours does.

cache.webp teeth2.webp teeth3.webp

Better shots of the better ones.

teeth1a.webp teeth4.webp teetha.webp

There were several bigger broken ones from this site that sure would've been killers. Oh, well...
 
Wow nice stuff. Interesting about finding points that are unique from others of the same area. Makes me wonder if they were made by the same person....

How many points could one guy crank out in say 10-20 years?
 
Another variant with similar characteristics in the tri state area would be south prong creek.
 
Congrats on a great looking point.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom