Teknetics G2 or At Pro.

cmbohio

Jul 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without getting bashed for starting another thread. Can i get some input on how these machines stack up on each other. I am pretty set on an at pro. But before i pull the trigger. I am trying to make damn sure its the best than i can afford because i wont be able to pick up another machine anytime soon.
I have read alot of good and bad about the atp. I have not really read anything negative about the g2. It is supposed to be killer in trashy areas out of the box, alot of people even talk about it being great for coin shooting even tho it is a higher frequency detector. I dont do much water detecting. But i have seen videos on youtube of a g2 hitting a 3 gram gold chain 4 inches deep in wet salt sand.
There is not a whole whole lot of info on the g2.
I mostly hunt woods. yards. parks. looking for anything good. not just coins. dont want to miss much....
alot of people claim amazing depth with the atp... detector wars on youtube ... treasure mountain guys i believe .. he has a test pit and the atp would not hit a silver quarter at 10 inchs in pro zero mode. not even a bleep.
I dont want to be leaving behind any quarters like that...
I plan on buying on monday. I keep getting putt off because i cant make up my mind.

Upvote 0

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I understand, the G2 is geared more towards gold prospecting, and picking up other small, low conductivity items. From my understanding, the G2 is set up a lot like my F75, with a menu. It's really easy to use if they are about the same. It's going to depend on your needs. You may even consider an Omega, which is a pretty good detector for the money. I don't know how deep it will pick up a quarter, but my Omega will give a weak, jumpy signal on a 6" silver dime.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So you think you're going to get a satisfactory answer? LOL!

The Tek users will say get the G2 the ATP users...well what do you think their answer is going to be?
I know I know, you want responses from those that have used each and every machine you want to compare...good luck!

You keep saying..."I'm pretty sure I'm getting the ATP"...hell you even have it in your profile!

Just buy one! I'm sure they're both fine detectors. But it won't matter because you'll just be wondering if you made the right decision anyway and wonder if the grass is really greener! It's not BTW, just a different shade!

Good luck!

OP
OP
C

cmbohio

Jul 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the reason its in my profile. is because i used to have one. i also used to have an mxt pro. not a whites fan. the atp was nice. i just want to get the right one.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you already used the ATP, try a Teknetics, Fisher, Minelab, etc to try. If you don't like it, you can try to trade it to someone with a used ATP. Or just buy an ATP since you have used one and are satisfied. In the end, it's your ​choice. If you try to let other people make your mind up for you, you'll never end up with a metal detector!

OP
OP
C

cmbohio

Jul 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im not trying to let people make up my mind for me . is the g2 the bomb or what . im all about it

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The G2 is only "The Bomb," if you are in certain situations, and trashy areas are not one of those situations. The G2 runs at 19.2 kHz which means it is going to be HYPER sensitive to iron, lead and Gold - because it is a gold nugget shooter. You should be looking at the "T2" running at 13 kHz if you are comparing the machines to the AT Pro which runs at 15 kHz. Just sayin..

OP
OP
C

cmbohio

Jul 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have you used the g2. because everything I have read about says that it will beat most in trashy areas and it is really fast

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One mo gin!

ATP if you plan to get wet. Xnay on the G2, unless you plan to do mainly gold prospecting.

T2 I think would be the bomb you seek- unless you plan to get wet a lot - same goes for the g2.

It's a never ending cycle- I personally say forget the G2 narrow it back down to the ATP and T2 and decide rather or not you will be getting in the water much, hunting in the rain, etc.

Hell if you can't make up your mind after that- flip the last coin you dug, and call it heads for the ATP, tails for the T2.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hell if you can't make up your mind after that- flip the last coin you dug, and call it heads for the ATP, tails for the T2.

That's what I keep saying. Especially when people ask which sub $300 detector is best blah blah blah. Flip a coin, throw a dart, eenie
meenie, miny mo it!

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what I keep saying. Especially when people ask which sub $300 detector is best blah blah blah. Flip a coin, throw a dart, eenie
meenie, miny mo it!

THE TRUTH!

OP
OP
C

cmbohio

Jul 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea well fella . we all cant swing multiple detectors and drop thousands on a hobby . 500 and up is a mid range and still a lot of money at the end of the day. if it was an ace 250 or an f2 throw a dart. I think im gonna go with g2 . I would like to see treasure mountain hobbies run the g2 in the detector wars series on youtube.

OP
OP
C

cmbohio

Jul 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lots of reasons. I had previously had an atp. if I don't like the g2 . im sure I can sell it no problem and buy an atp. however. I have read nothing but killer reviews about the g2 . that it is great for gold but will still pick up coins at really good depths even with the 19khz. and that a lot of people have had great success with it even on the wet salt sand beaches. also read that it is not noisy like the t2 not saying the t2 isn't killer. I like the recovery speed. the overall design.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
have you used the g2. because everything I have read about says that it will beat most in trashy areas and it is really fast

Yes I have. It is comparable to the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. It is very fast, and VERY sensitive. If you are looking for a coinshooter, neither of these machines would be a "first" choisce. If you are strictly hunting gold and are prepared to dig almost everything then you can't beat either one.

OP
OP
C

cmbohio

Jul 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im not looking for a specific kind of detector.. you guys that are saying the g2 is geared only for gold... that's what makes me think you haven't used one. because. ever review online say they are a killer ALL AROUND machine. the only difference being the garrett is waterproof and slightly lower frequency . people talk about finding deeper silver in trashy areas that have been left behind thanks to how fast the g2 is .

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
im not looking for a specific kind of detector.. you guys that are saying the g2 is geared only for gold... that's what makes me think you haven't used one. because. ever review online say they are a killer ALL AROUND machine. the only difference being the garrett is waterproof and slightly lower frequency . people talk about finding deeper silver in trashy areas that have been left behind thanks to how fast the g2 is .

It is YOUR decision. I used a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq in parks and fields for almost a year just to see how it would work outside the gold claims. After that I knew I needed to go to a machine that worked at a lower kHz, and had better discrimination (Tesoro Vaquero, and now the Tejon). You can READ all the hype you want, but when you have a few hundred hours of digging deep iron and pulltabs under your belt, you can make up your own mind. I have about 50-hours on the G2. It is almost the same machine as the Lobo Super Traq. Good Luck!

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man in starting to think you really should consider the T2 now, just based on what you've said..... Which is-

•nothing about hunting in water
•continuous Vs. threads
•several mentions that you had an ATP before
•reviews

If you are gonna get on here and ask people what they think- then contradict their opinion with yours because of reviews, it sounds like you have your mind made up..... But either you really don't- OR you're just afraid to pull the trigger because you know it's the last you'll be pulling it for a while on a new detector. If you want something that has good performance in a multitude of situations, including water- GET AN ATP!

If you want more horsepower than that, get the T2 and don't submerge it-remember it has a high enough cycle rate to find gold as well.

Forget the G2 man, too purpose specific- and no, I've never used one. I just know what I've read- like you.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you don't want to spend the money for a new T-2, pick up a used one. They are said to be awesome detectors, especially if you're planning on hunting for relics. I just think the fact that you haven't bought the ATP, means that you want to try a different detector for awhile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread