What's new

Telegraph Pole Site...

CRUSADER

Emerald Member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
41,306
Reaction score
48,543
Golden Thread
27
Location
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
27
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We continued to do the low yield Roman Sites & leave the best for last.
Today I had 2 really nice album coins.:icon_thumright:
My first Celtic Bronze Unit of the year (low grade).
2.5hrs:

1.webp
2.webp
3.webp
4.webp
 
Upvote 31
Nice ones; especially the Crispus Nobil-C follis. Is the year about 321 and the mint London?
Don in SoCal
Dad & I are having real problems with the Mint & attribution. The very unusual letters under the bust are something we have never seen!
 
Dad & I are having real problems with the Mint & attribution. The very unusual letters under the bust are something we have never seen!
That sounds like a good problem...maybe first of its type found?
 
That sounds like a good problem...maybe first of its type found?
I can't find it in Sears, but I need more time studying RIC (book) before I make that shout but it's going to be Extremely Rare at worst.
 
I can't find it in Sears, but I need more time studying RIC (book) before I make that shout but it's going to be Extremely Rare at worst.
Love it! Let's hope for first recorded type found. :)
 
I read the two letters on the obverse under the bust as TR which may indicate the mint at Trier, Germany. Granted, an odd place for the mint mark, but that's my guess.
Also, the mint mark on the reverse ending in TR has some similarity to the mintmark SMTR, as in Sacra Moneta Trier.
The 'P' at the beginning of that mark may indicate the 'prima' workshop.
Don in SoCal
 
Last edited:
The big follis, struck in Germany, is this coin:
Trier
RIC VII 121, B
Licinius I AE follis. Trier. AD 316. 21 mm, 2.87 g. IMP LICINIVS P F AVG, laureate, cuirassed bust right. / GENIO POP ROM, Genius, turreted, standing left, loins draped, holding patera and cornucopiae. T-F across fields. Mintmark BTR. RIC VII Trier 121; Sear 15194.TextFull Size
From Wildwinds.com
Don in SoCal
 
The big follis, struck in Germany, is this coin:

Trier
RIC VII 121, B
Licinius I AE follis. Trier. AD 316. 21 mm, 2.87 g. IMP LICINIVS P F AVG, laureate, cuirassed bust right. / GENIO POP ROM, Genius, turreted, standing left, loins draped, holding patera and cornucopiae. T-F across fields. Mintmark BTR. RIC VII Trier 121; Sear 15194.TextFull Size
From Wildwinds.com
Don in SoCal
Yeap had that one thanks. When I get time I'll get RIC out & follow your other leads, thanks for your efforts. I suspect its an 'unlisted variant'.
 
CRU,

The first two letters (in Greek) on the mintmark on that variant coin appear to be Rho Psi. Initially, I saw the 'P' as meaning prima, as in the first officina. Now, because of the second being the Greek RHO letter, I'll assume both icons are Greek.
 
CRU,

The first two letters (in Greek) on the mintmark on that variant coin appear to be Rho Psi. Initially, I saw the 'P' as meaning prima, as in the first officina. Now, because of the second being the Greek RHO letter, I'll assume both icons are Greek.
I've reached out to a couple of my contacts but they have both retired from the British Museum. They gave me an alternative, so I'm hoping they know their stuff & answer me??
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom