Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tell me i'm crazy ! i'm ordering an Explorer SE

got an xterra 70 just about 3 months or less ago and been working alot of overtime the past month. Since i was looking at the SE when i got the x70 the wife told me that if i still wanted the SE that i'd better get it ! So it will be ordered here in a couple days, I know it will be a learning curve but i'm up for it and the x70 will be a backup for awhile. I'm hoping that some of you who have one might give me some pointers of how to start out with the SE ,,, settings or whatever that would help in my learning this machine ;) thanks in advance for any help ;D

Re: tell me i'm crazy ! i'm ordering an Explorer SE

weasel606 said:
got an xterra 70 just about 3 months or less ago and been working alot of overtime the past month. Since i was looking at the SE when i got the x70 the wife told me that if i still wanted the SE that i'd better get it ! So it will be ordered here in a couple days, I know it will be a learning curve but i'm up for it and the x70 will be a backup for awhile. I'm hoping that some of you who have one might give me some pointers of how to start out with the SE ,,, settings or whatever that would help in my learning this machine ;) thanks in advance for any help ;D

I have been researching the se for quite a while...heard the Fisher f-75 is also deep and very good. Good luck! :)

thanks Gregg, i hope i can learn it and not get frustrated, i've read good things about them ;)

My suggestion is read the manual and play with the detector as you do..to start with i would set it up to run with the discrimination to take out all the bad targets and get the feel for the sounds and such...
Once you feel comfortable with the basic mode you could try all metal,but it is a little tougher to use.
The explorer series in general are great machines and can do alot of things.To learn them you just have to practice,practice,practice....
Good luck and hh

teverly said:
My suggestion is read the manual and play with the detector as you do..to start with i would set it up to run with the discrimination to take out all the bad targets and get the feel for the sounds and such...
Once you feel comfortable with the basic mode you could try all metal,but it is a little tougher to use.
The explorer series in general are great machines and can do alot of things.To learn them you just have to practice,practice,practice....
Good luck and hh

practice practice practice indeed! and experiment with different settings and discrim patterns when you feel comfortable enough to do so. i ran mine in the factory settings for a while to get a feel for the sounds but the machine is capable of soooo much more than just the factory settings. it is a complex machine that can do a lot of stuff but its not as hard to learn as some make it out. congrats on an awesome choice!

I think what is needed here is a honest pros and cons from experienced users...anybody? ???

good to know if i get confused on the SE i can ask questions and get great help from you guys on the forum ;)

Hey Weasel,

I don't know if you're crazy or not, but I'd definitely hang on to that wife of yours!

MP

thanks mountainplayer she is very good to me and even likes detecting almost as much as me, but she just likes the turn on and go detectors the others are too much for her but she wants me to have one, :D

wife was very nice to let ya get two top dollar machines in three months (most would have a fit about you "wasting " all that money)-- keep a grip on that one and treat her right -- lucky you

thanks ivan ;D yep i think i got a keeper for sure

Buy a sunray pinpointer! I got this same advise back when I bought my explorer II and didnt listen. BELIEVE ME, GET THE PINPOINTER! You will save yourself hours of frustration. That brings us to the other issue, the dif between the DFX and the Explorer. The Explorer is HEAVY (you get used to it) and doesnt pinpoint well at shallow depth, not at all on deep targets, you learn to pinpoint using the signal from the target itself (though the SE is a little better than the older explorers). The explorer(s), IMO, will ID targets deeper most of the time. The DFX is better in trash (probably start an arguement here). Good luck.

you're crazy!

Well i wont fight but since i have used them since the original explorer i have to disagree.. i think the ex 2 and the SE both pinpoint pretty good.I have never had much trouble..but i would still get the x1 probe saves a ton of time..
As for the Explorer in trash i can only say that my experience with it has been great.I went to a smaller coil and hunted an area about 30 yrds wide by 30 yrds long that has a lot of iron signals..pulled 2 large cents and a couple flat buttons from that area...and i have hunted it for about 10 yrs.
As soon as the crops are off i will go back with the small coil and try all metal and see what happens.
These machines can do a lot.AND practice is what it takes.
I have used advice from people on here and have learned some things to.

W, great choice in getting the EXSE
you won't be disapointed. Just take it one step at a time. Start with factory preset's and when you get that down add to it. Its like sitting down to eat, one bite at a time....
Happy Hunting All

Desertfox

thanks guys ! i'm taking all this in and and i know what everyone here is saying are things that i will be looking back on these post to help me get used to the SE , i had heard it was heavy but i hope to get used to it , and the pin pointing well my xterra 70 was different when i first got it but soon got used to that. I was alittle concerned about adding the sunray because of weight but for now i'm just going to use my v4 automax probe, I do think that later on i'll try to get the small coil for very trashy areas since it will come with the 10 inch coil but i want to try and get used to it first, thanks desertfox, teverly, rebelLT and re-tek for all your thoughts ;)

DFX-Gregg said:
I think what is needed here is a honest pros and cons from experienced users...anybody? ???

I believe that is what he got...ive been using mine for 6 yrs,,how long have you been using a minelab???

rebelLT said:
Buy a sunray pinpointer! I got this same advise back when I bought my explorer II and didnt listen. BELIEVE ME, GET THE PINPOINTER! You will save yourself hours of frustration. That brings us to the other issue, the dif between the DFX and the Explorer. The Explorer is HEAVY (you get used to it) and doesnt pinpoint well at shallow depth, not at all on deep targets, you learn to pinpoint using the signal from the target itself (though the SE is a little better than the older explorers). The explorer(s), IMO, will ID targets deeper most of the time. The DFX is better in trash (probably start an arguement here). Good luck.

Interesting points..who cares if it starts an argument...it seems to be the only way sometimes to discover the strengths and weaknesses of a detector! ;) The pinpointing issue would drive me crazy though...I pinpoint very quickly and recover and move on... :)

teverly said:
Well i wont fight but since i have used them since the original explorer i have to disagree.. i think the ex 2 and the SE both pinpoint pretty good.I have never had much trouble..but i would still get the x1 probe saves a ton of time..
As for the Explorer in trash i can only say that my experience with it has been great.I went to a smaller coil and hunted an area about 30 yrds wide by 30 yrds long that has a lot of iron signals..pulled 2 large cents and a couple flat buttons from that area...and i have hunted it for about 10 yrs.
As soon as the crops are off i will go back with the small coil and try all metal and see what happens.
These machines can do a lot.AND practice is what it takes.
I have used advice from people on here and have learned some things to.

I think his comparision might have been compared to his use with the dfx...how about the weight issue ??? Does the smaller coil help and how deep with the smaller coil...

teverly said:
DFX-Gregg said:

I believe that is what he got...ive been using mine for 6 yrs,,how long have you been using a minelab???

My name dfx gregg would be the clue I use a White's...I asked for the pros and cons because I may take a look at an explorer for next year... ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back