What's new

Teller Tales

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
4,291
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
What a week I had. Only recovered 11 halves. Here is the icing on the cake
I go into a bank asking for halves from an elderly teller who looks as if she has one foot in the grave. "I've got a Kennedy" she says. I take it,and it's clad. As I'm about to leave this teller tells me that she has $440.00 in the vault and that they are NOT Kennedys. I told her that I would take them. As I'm waiting for her I had visions of walkers,franklins, and suger plums dancing around in my head. I buy them and she gives me an evil grin. At that point I knew I had been taken. I should have thought "How does she know they are not Kennedys"?
Anyway they turned out to be clad.

Wednesday I go into a bank and ask for halves and the teller says she has a bunch of silver ones. She takes about 30 1964's out of her draw goes into the vault and comes out with a $380.00 bag of what appears to be mostly silver and places it on the counter. She asks me if I have an account and with an air of confidence I lie and tell her that I do. Then she wants my name to enter into the computer. I tried to play it off that there must be some kind of mistake when they uncovered the fact that I did not have an account. The bottom line was, no account,no coin. I should have been embarrassed, mortified even. But I'm a hardcore silver harvester that knows no shame.
Determined to get that coin I call my son Scooba Steve. Tell him to open an account at the bank and grab that silver. Steve makes an appointment to open an account . As he is filling out the paperwork he asks if they have any half dollars and the teller tells him that they have a bunch of them, and most are old silver ones. She says that she will get them for him, and brings them out.
Steve, gives her the application and she tells him,"sorry, you can't open an account with us unless you live in the county," WTF ! Foiled again.

Yesterday I go to a bank where the manager gives me a small bag every month or so. It's always got some silver. But that day they had none. So she tells me that she will call another branch. The other branch has a bag still on the machine with $947.00 in it,not quite full. So the manager explains how to clear and reset the machine so that she can sell me the bag. She then says that she is sending over a customer to pick it up.
So I go there and tell this stone faced teller that I'm here to pick up the bag. She tells me that she can't sell me a bag. I tell her that so and so just called and sent me over to pick it up. She gets all PO'ed and tells the manager who says that she will give me the bag as soon as she is done with Dunbar. So I'm waiting and hatchet face goes back into the vault to have a conversation with the vault teller. The vault teller comes out and tells me that she is having trouble clearing the bag. I tell her to hit the reset button twice and it will clear. (I overheard the conversation between my bank and this teller. She says that she will try it again. Hatchet face in the meantime goes back into the vault. One of the young tellers who knows whats going on, gives me a heads up and says that Miss ugly wants to search the bag for silver.
Now 20 minutes have passed. The vault teller comes out and says that she cannot clear the bag but if I give her my number she will call me when she clears it. I told her thanks but don't bother, and left.
No big deal. I still have time to do some hunting.
Could not get a single half. So I pick up 1500.00 in quarters and 500.00 in dimes.
The results= 2 Rosies
On a good note I did open an account with five coinstars.
 
Upvote 0
Ay, I did not lie when a particular teller asked me if had an account (most turned me away that asked), and replied to her question, "all I want is the halves" she replied "okay" and I got 419 %40's, of course went and opened an account after that; since then at another Branch got a Bad of Half's $300 that had 5 walkers and a dozen or so %40's.
 
OB,
I don't normally lie, it makes me feel like a congressman or senator.
 
why didn't you just open an account on the spot to get the silver?
 
damn Rich.....do you know anyone who lives in that county that can open an account? perhaps you could strike some sort of deal with them. after seeing all that silver, i would pull all stops.
HEY, i have an idea......gotta ski mask? ;D
 
I'm not going to open an account with these people for the silver. Plus I don't live in that county, and they would not let me open an account anyway(see what happened to Scooba Steve at the same bank).
 
Mister Gee
I actually do know someone that lives in that county. I talked to my son about having this guy open an account(which he would do)and buying the silver for us. My son believes that they had no intention of selling the coin and were just busting chops. I agree with him.
 
Cant open an account because you dont live in the county? WTF? I have never heard of that... Is this some backwoods off the beaten path bank?
 
AG,

It is in the area where the movie stars live in Connecticut
 
hey rich it seems to me that the teller at that bank is playing teller games with that silver in order to get their jollies with roll hunters. i hate tellers that do that. kind of like an advanced version of the silver in the tray game that alot of them play. i might try one more angle like mister g said and after that i think i would just let it go
 
Ah so it’s an up-ity bank... Few of those around me. I walked into one once not knowing exactly what they were, no teller windows just a plush office. I asked for half’s and they didn’t even bother to look up at me. I will say as I was walking out the door a girl stepped up and told me of a competitor branch up the street that had silver and gave me a name. I thought that was nice of her.

It really is amazing the differences in banks. I went into another bank which I dont have an account and asked for halfs. The Branch manager came over to me and said that she could get me some. Never once asked if I was a member. Even followed up with a phone call back to me about buying bags for their coin machine. Said she would sell me any bags I wanted. Told her I want all nickels, dimes, quarter and half bags. She told me she would call me any time they get full.
 
Had a Teller once ask me if had an account, said "no- but all I want is the halves anyway" she replied "okay" and I got 419 %40's too in a 40 roll find which had 21 Solid rolls minus 1 clad in one. Yes did another day open an account figuring it would bring me good luck, since have gotten 5 Walkers and dozen or so more %40's, and no one has since asked for my account at that bank.
 
i get do you have an account or why do you want halves alot but nobody showing hoarded silver but 90% of the time i cant see the teller trays
 
Rich Hartford said:
One of the young tellers who knows whats going on, gives me a heads up and says that Miss ugly wants to search the bag for silver.

I'd have gone back to the original branch where you talked to the manager who arranged the bag deal in the first place and told them what happened. Not necessarily right then, but whenever I was by there again.

As for that other bank, don't they have branches in your county/area?
 
Hmm.... the banks that you usually do business with are a lot easier to work with. As far as these other banks I guess it just depends on how far out you are. Sometimes it helps to have contacts. I think I would take more pride in sticking it to the mean teller than acquiring the silver. Then again some people you just can't work with.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom