What's new

Tellers telling lies

jim4silver

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
3,662
Reaction score
496
Golden Thread
0
In the past two days I have been traveling a bit for work and I have gone to a few different banks looking for halves. I found 4 or 5 banks that had pretty big amounts of hand rolls. I always ask if they accumulated over time or if one person brought them all in at once.

At all the banks these last two days they said, "oh they have been brought in by several customers over time", or something to that effect. Although I did not specifically mention it, I believe they sensed that I only wanted the ones brought in over time by the way I asked the question. Each of these banks had $350-$500 in rolls.

Some of these tellers claimed the coins were brought in and put through their coin counters and then rolled by them (the tellers). That didn't add up to me.

I noticed that at the last bank I went to, as I went around the corner from the tellers after buying the coins I stopped to put my left over dollars away (I was out of their sight), I heard one of the tellers giggling and the other one (who gave me the halves) said something like "glad to get rid of them, did you like how I did that" or something to that effect. I believe they figured they duped me pretty good. Which I guess they did, because at that particular last bank I was specific that I only wanted to buy them if they were not brought in all at once (due to my bad luck with the other coins).

Anyway, all of the rolls obviously were brought in by CRHers at each bank. There is no way in the universe that $1300-$1500 in non-CRHer dumped rolls would there be all skunks. No way. Every time I have been able to buy from a coin machine at a bank (very rare but great when it happens), there has always been loads of good coins. If non CRHers are taking halves into all these banks the rolls will have at least a couple of 40%s in my experience.

Besides, at each bank all the hand roll wrappers appeared fairly new and were uniform at each bank. I could have refused them but you never know, maybe a good score.

One batch were all 1982 D BUs. Roll after roll. Anyway, my point is these tellers want to get rid of the halves and will tell you what you want to hear to get you to take them. Now I must point out that I was not at any regular banks I go to, and these tellers don't owe me anything. But before this I thought they would be honest with respect to such questions.

Just wanted to share these experiences.

Jim
 
Upvote 0
I had to open an account to get at $450 in halves. So after finishing the paperwork and returning to the counter to get the halves the teller had a shit eating grin on her face when she produced a Brinks box with rerolled halves that she obviously knew were junk.

Oh well just one more $5 custodial account for my son. LOL

Mojo
 
jim4silver, do coin counting machines reject 90% but accept 40%?
 
Taropatch,

Not that I am aware of. My reference to there being at least some 40%s is that sometimes the general public is aware that pre 65 coins are silver and thus they will keep them, but many do not know 65-70 halves have some silver and they seem to appear more often. Most likely that is why we seem to find them more than the 90%s.

And I don't think that most places around my area count the coins and then rolls them. All of the places where I have obtained hand rolls do not have the coin counting machines; that is why they make the customers roll them before they get dropped off. The banks I go to that have coin counters bag them in some manner as the machine total reaches a certain limit, then they send the full bag to "the Fed" as they call it, which in my experience means Brinks, Loomis or whomever the coin handling company may be.

Jim
 
Jim,

My advice is to just take all the halves they have regardless. You'll pick up someone's dump once in a while, but that's the price of the game. Some people will come in with a large number of halves (non-CRH'ers) and these are of course the best caches, but lots more people come in with only a few. The banks I've been too keep these in the tellers trays until they have a roll, then they roll it and put it in the vault. Over time the vault amount grows. At some point they get rid of it.

Brian
 
I once picked up a $1000 bag from a branch that I personally knew took a year to fill up over time. Not a single silver coin in that bag.
 
Tellers lying to get rid of there coins. No. Sounds like what some people on here do to get or dump coins. Oh, I need them for a poker game or for the kids BD party. It works both ways. Getting dumps is part of the game.
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:
 
coinmojo said:
I had to open an account to get at $450 in halves. So after finishing the paperwork and returning to the counter to get the halves the teller had a #@!$%#@! eating grin on her face when she produced a Brinks box with rerolled halves that she obviously knew were junk.

Oh well just one more $5 custodial account for my son. LOL

Mojo
LOL, I wonder who got stuck with my dumps :wink:
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:
 
Small price to pay to play!
After I got stuck with a $3200 dump at one stop, I only buy $100 and test. If there is at least one silver, I go clean them out.
 
Silver Fox,

So are you saying the tellers don't lie ever about this? I believe they do. I am not making a moral judgment about them or saying they are bad people, but I have to call it like I see it. I heard it myself from the one bank so I know at least that one teller was not being honest about where or how the halves came in.

Many times I have called banks and they said that one person dropped all the halves at one time, and they will also go on to say that said person is a coin collector and the coins have been searched by that person. One teller even said the collector removes all the silver coins and brings them back with the rolls slit down the side (Brinks rolls). I appreciate that because I am not going to waste my time buying a bunch of coins that have already been searched and then have to dump them. Some of these instances are where the bank does not have a coin counter and the same person dumps the rolls on a regular basis.

I only have so much time and money to put into this and I try to make the most efficient use of both to maximize my success and enjoyment of CRHing. Unlike some of the lucky posters here, I cannot take 1000 or more worth of dumps in at once, or have them weighed by the bank, etc. I get some dirty looks from certain tellers when I bring in only $500 worth.

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
Silver Fox,

So are you saying the tellers don't lie ever about this?
I am saying they DO lie to get rid of coins. I am also saying some people lie about why they are buying them. Sounds like a 2 way street. What's the difference / problem?
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:
 
jim4silver said:
Unlike some of the lucky posters here, I cannot take 1000 or more worth of dumps in at once, or have them weighed by the bank, etc. I get some dirty looks from certain tellers when I bring in only $500 worth.

Jim
Tough luck on that one Jim. I have access to 3 coin machines and I dump no more than $500 at each per week. All other dumps I drop $250 in re-rolls. All my tellers are real nice. Some save coins for me, some are collectors too. Did I say all are nice to me.
 
The problem is the waste of time in buying said CHR dumps. Nothing can be done about it, but that does not make it not a pain to deal with.

And I guess it does bother me a bit being lied to by tellers. Not that they are breaking the law or anything. Not that they owe me anything. But it does seem a bit slimy to me. Not that it matters, but when they ask me why I buy halves I simply say I am a coin collector and I like to look through them. I tell them nothing more, nothing less. That is not a lie. I don't tell them I am buying them for poker games, etc.

I am fairly new to CRHing and wanted to post this subject telling what I found, so that others who are new to this may be made aware. Before this I did believed that the tellers were not lying. Maybe I was a bit naive.


Jim
 
This is just my take , fwiw most tellers hate messing around with halves ...the rerolled ones that is ... they are happy to get rid of them , dumps , keepers or otherwise ... ... I have found out that it is easier ( at least in my own experiences so far) to unload a $1000.00 worth at a time so they can ship them off .... just this week I bought 600.00 from one bank and she said that it took them all winter to get them and that they couldnt ship them, so I said would it be a problem if I dropped off a 1000.00 so you can just send them ..she said no problem that would be great .
 
jim4silver said:
The problem is the waste of time in buying said CHR dumps. Nothing can be done about it, but that does not make it not a pain to deal with.

And I guess it does bother me a bit being lied to by tellers. Not that they are breaking the law or anything. Not that they owe me anything. But it does seem a bit slimy to me. Not that it matters, but when they ask me why I buy halves I simply say I am a coin collector and I like to look through them. I tell them nothing more, nothing less. That is not a lie. I don't tell them I am buying them for poker games, etc.

I am fairly new to CRHing and wanted to post this subject telling what I found, so that others who are new to this may be made aware. Before this I did believed that the tellers were not lying. Maybe I was a bit naive.


Jim

Depends on what you search for... some CRHers only search for silver, if you collect errors, proofs, NIFC, etc. there still might be something in the batch. Also I occasionally get a 40% that was missed in halves I know were dumps.
 
Suppose one of the tellers asked you why you wanted so many coins, and what were you doing with them. Would you explain that many of the coins contain between 40 to 90% silver and can be worth 13 TIMES the face value or even more??

Of course you wouldn't........ Pot? Kettle?...... :icon_scratch:
 
Bassfish,

Actually I have had a couple of tellers ask what a silver half dollar is going for. They knew some of the halves had silver, and I told them exactly what they were going for at that time. Many of them said that they intercepted silver coins coming in and shared them with the other tellers or sold them themselves. Why should I hide it? I assume (rightly or wrongly) that the tellers know what is going on when they ask me such questions. I would rather tell them the truth than look like I am full of BS. What are they gonna do, grab the box from me and say "you can't have this, I want to search it"?

I think as CRHers, many of us assume that everyone will run out and buy halves if they knew some silver ones were out there, but I don't think it is true.

Tell them they need at least $500 or more, they can buy a box (or boxes), maybe get lucky and find some or perhaps get skunked, then have to return all the halves. Their hourly average "income" might be a few bucks if they find some silver. I don't think many people who haven't been bitten by the CRHing bug would want to waste their time for such returns. I have been investing in gold and silver for a few years and up until very recently I thought CRHing was not worth it based on time and effort (it probably still isn't from a money perspective). But after happening upon a dream box as my first box I got hooked on the thrill of finding silver in the rolls.

So I don't see why I need to play games with the tellers with respect to why I CRH. Although I don't specifically bring up silver, if they ask I tell them.

Jim
 
Did alittle CHR this fri. Stopped at a bigger bank went in with the usual small talk. I asked if they had any halves, she said yes we do 619.00 dollars worth. She also said you probably would not what these as there is nothing older than 1965 in it. I took that as she had gone through it and knew. I thought that I would accept the 40% if any. Much too my surprise when I dumped them out and sorted them I ended up with 92.50 worth of 40% I guess that teller was telling no lies, I thought it alittle odd that she would pull the 90% and not the 40% My gain and I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Jim..I will take all those BU rolls of 82-Ds off your hands if you have not dumped them. I could use them for my roll collection.
 
TT,

I have already dumped them. I wish I had known they had value to them other than face value. Somewhere they will get back into Brinks box I suppose.

Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom