What's new

Tellers telling lies

jim4silver

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
3,662
Reaction score
496
Golden Thread
0
In the past two days I have been traveling a bit for work and I have gone to a few different banks looking for halves. I found 4 or 5 banks that had pretty big amounts of hand rolls. I always ask if they accumulated over time or if one person brought them all in at once.

At all the banks these last two days they said, "oh they have been brought in by several customers over time", or something to that effect. Although I did not specifically mention it, I believe they sensed that I only wanted the ones brought in over time by the way I asked the question. Each of these banks had $350-$500 in rolls.

Some of these tellers claimed the coins were brought in and put through their coin counters and then rolled by them (the tellers). That didn't add up to me.

I noticed that at the last bank I went to, as I went around the corner from the tellers after buying the coins I stopped to put my left over dollars away (I was out of their sight), I heard one of the tellers giggling and the other one (who gave me the halves) said something like "glad to get rid of them, did you like how I did that" or something to that effect. I believe they figured they duped me pretty good. Which I guess they did, because at that particular last bank I was specific that I only wanted to buy them if they were not brought in all at once (due to my bad luck with the other coins).

Anyway, all of the rolls obviously were brought in by CRHers at each bank. There is no way in the universe that $1300-$1500 in non-CRHer dumped rolls would there be all skunks. No way. Every time I have been able to buy from a coin machine at a bank (very rare but great when it happens), there has always been loads of good coins. If non CRHers are taking halves into all these banks the rolls will have at least a couple of 40%s in my experience.

Besides, at each bank all the hand roll wrappers appeared fairly new and were uniform at each bank. I could have refused them but you never know, maybe a good score.

One batch were all 1982 D BUs. Roll after roll. Anyway, my point is these tellers want to get rid of the halves and will tell you what you want to hear to get you to take them. Now I must point out that I was not at any regular banks I go to, and these tellers don't owe me anything. But before this I thought they would be honest with respect to such questions.

Just wanted to share these experiences.

Jim
 
Upvote 0
wolfmann said:
Did alittle CHR this fri. Stopped at a bigger bank went in with the usual small talk. I asked if they had any halves, she said yes we do 619.00 dollars worth. She also said you probably would not what these as there is nothing older than 1965 in it. I took that as she had gone through it and knew. I thought that I would accept the 40% if any. Much too my surprise when I dumped them out and sorted them I ended up with 92.50 worth of 40% I guess that teller was telling no lies, I thought it alittle odd that she would pull the 90% and not the 40% My gain and I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





Damn wolfman 185 40% is a wicked haul...that is awesome ... the reason that there was no 90% but still 40% is alot of people think that there is no silver in coins after '64... :thumbsup:
 
Geeez! No wonder banks get tired of Crh'ers. It sounds like some people just want to sit at home on their ass, call banks on the phone, and basically ask if they have any rolls of silver that they can come by and pick up! You are giving all of us a bad name!
 
Geeez Gpurs,

I guess your rant is directed at me since I started this thread. I cannot imagine how sharing something I noticed while CRHing (that some, NOT ALL, tellers may mislead about the origin of hand rolls just so they can get rid of keeping them in stock), somehow angers the banks and gives all CRHers a bad name.

Care to share your logic on how you came to this conclusion.

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
Geeez Gpurs,

I guess your rant is directed at me since I started this thread. I cannot imagine how sharing something I noticed while CRHing (that some, NOT ALL, tellers may mislead about the origin of hand rolls just so they can get rid of keeping them in stock), somehow angers the banks and gives all CRHers a bad name.

Care to share your logic on how you came to this conclusion.

Jim
I'm so glad I am the kinder, nicer one now. You go boys :icon_jokercolor:
 
Hey guys, we meet all different kinds of people and most are very nice. Smile when you walk in the bank and see what it does for those people behind the counter. The vast majority will do all that they can to help you if you ask for help. I tell them I'm on a hunt for 50cent pieces. If they ask why I just say I'm looking for a few good ones for my collection. That is usually enough. I don't try to predict what I'm going to find because I've never predicted right yet. I just get whatever I can and have fun. The highs are high and the lows can be really low, but when you do well, it's a feeling I wouldn't want to lose. IMHO let the teller thing go and enjoy the ride !!!
 
Silver_Fox said:
jim4silver said:
Geeez Gpurs,

I guess your rant is directed at me since I started this thread. I cannot imagine how sharing something I noticed while CRHing (that some, NOT ALL, tellers may mislead about the origin of hand rolls just so they can get rid of keeping them in stock), somehow angers the banks and gives all CRHers a bad name.

Care to share your logic on how you came to this conclusion.

Jim
I'm so glad I am the kinder, nicer one now. You go boys :icon_jokercolor:
:icon_king: Lmao! SF, I think you were probably better at this than I..HH, Gpurs
 
Today I went to my bank in search of some nickels. Keep in mind I was getting about $50 each week in hand rolls that always produced at least 1 war nickel per trip. I was told I could get no more than $10 in nickels a week because now the bank only keeps just as much as they need for each week. The funny part about this is the teller never once looked me in the eye and kept stumbling over her own words, kinda like she was making it up on the fly. LIAR. :-*

It really doesn't bother me much because I know I can go to my credit union and get just about as many boxes as I want as long as I give them a few days notice.
 
GPURS said:
Silver_Fox said:
jim4silver said:
Geeez Gpurs,

I guess your rant is directed at me since I started this thread. I cannot imagine how sharing something I noticed while CRHing (that some, NOT ALL, tellers may mislead about the origin of hand rolls just so they can get rid of keeping them in stock), somehow angers the banks and gives all CRHers a bad name.

Care to share your logic on how you came to this conclusion.

Jim
I'm so glad I am the kinder, nicer one now. You go boys :icon_jokercolor:
:icon_king: Lmao! SF, I think you were probably better at this than I..HH, Gpurs
Thanks for the compliment. There are times I wish I wasn't kinder and gentler.
HH, S_F :icon_king:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom