Temperature effects.

DirtyDon

May 5, 2005
rome.NY
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Occasionally, around lunch time, I have some time to get out my IDX-PRO and ACE 250 and do a little detecting. What's how I dug up my 1911 dime. I would like to know what effects the temperature would have on either or both of my units if I were to leave them in my car, winter or summer, for an extended period of time. Would there be an acceptable means of storage? Thanks

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not really a option. You don't want damp or extreme cold and heat/sun is as bad in that sun can destroy an LCD display and the heat can cause coils to split. My machines travel on a lump of foam so that the road shock can't cause problems and come straight out when I get home. All I leave in the boot/trunk is digging tools. Result is I've only ever had to have a couple of machines returned for repair in 36 years.

B

Bugar

Temperatures above 100 degrees can mess up your LCD, as well as warp or deform the plastic, not telling what could happen to the circuit board inside, and as far as cold temperatures down around 20 degrees, all temps in farenheit) the LCD can get messed up , maybe even frozen, and be quite costly on the rest of the detector also, but actually, just be careful= not too hot, and not too cold, you should be OK, really if it dosen't feel good to your body, it's not good for the detector either, at least that's the way i figure it ::)

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
Batteries don't work if they're really cold, if they're really hot they may leak. Circuit boards will expand and contract with temperature change, this can eventually break the traces. Avoid temperature extremes.

OP
OP
D

DirtyDon

May 5, 2005
rome.NY
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the information. Appreciate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread