Tesoro Sandshark

nudels

Jun 21, 2008
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Vantage AD-14, Tesoro Sand Shark
I took out my Tesoro Sandshark today for the first time, overall I was quite pleased. Some things I noticed about the unit:

Notes:
1) There seemed to be a very very slight chatty-ness to the unit, it wouldn't remain silent 100% of the time. It was very very slight. I could tell it was just extremely low level chatter as any real target would sound different and more pronounced than the chatter.
2) When deeper than knee deep and a wave would go over it, it would get ever so slightly more chatty, but not much at all. Just enough to notice. It seems the circuitry handled the issue of waves over the coil well.

NOTE: I am brand new to PI style detectors, it could be that all of them do this, i'm just not sure. Other than that it handled the salt/wet sand like a champ, it did wonderfully.

3) The 600 pps pulse speed made pinpoiting a breeze, I barely had to move the coil to get it to sound off which came in handy.

Targets/depth:

It sounded off on targets as deep as 12 inches, I found a fish hook down at least 8 inches. Nice deep detector, I was well pleased. Some of the targets I barely got a whisper out of, and they were all generally deep. It appears to be pretty sensitive too, I even had it sound off on perhaps one square centimeter of can aluminum 1-2 inches below the surface.

I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good quality detector at a great price.

good report. i think the Tiger Shark and Sand Shark are the best built detectors on the market today! now if they had tone id...WOW! :thumbsup:

midmich said:
nudels said:
I took out my Tesoro Sandshark today for the first time, overall I was quite pleased. Some things I noticed about the unit:

Notes:
1) There seemed to be a very very slight chatty-ness to the unit, it wouldn't remain silent 100% of the time. It was very very slight. I could tell it was just extremely low level chatter as any real target would sound different and more pronounced than the chatter.
2) When deeper than knee deep and a wave would go over it, it would get ever so slightly more chatty, but not much at all. Just enough to notice. It seems the circuitry handled the issue of waves over the coil well.

I had similar problems with mine at first, too. The advice given to me was that I wasn't ground balancing the detector properly. The biggest problem was that I was too shallow when I balanced it. I started ground balancing the detector in waist deep water and haven't had a problem since.

Thanks for the info, i'm hoping to take it out again in a few weeks and see about balancing it deeper in the water. It wasn't bad or really annoying, it actually gave me something to listen to between beeps :). I'll update here with details.

I bought one of the first Sandsharks when they came out. I also had the chatty-ness. It only happened when in the water. It was slight on most beaches and bearable. But on my favorite beach it turned severe and was so loud that I couldn't even tell when I had a signal. I sent it back to the company and they tested everything. I got it back and went to my favorite beach again and same thing! I sold it and bought a PI Pro. It could have been radio interference or some kind of power line doing it, not sure. But I never had this problem with my Impulse,PI Pro or other detectors I had over the years.
The Sandshark was good except for that chatter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back