Tesoro uMax?

ernie

Jun 11, 2004
i have several umax detectors plus some of the older models and i think they are some of the best detectors made.i also liked the older garrett freedom models but the reason i have not bought them and stayed with tesoro is they fix all their machines free even the first ones they made.garrett will no longer fix the freedom series or older one they want you to buy new ones.also if you use A small coil on a umax you can pick between the trash without hardly any movement.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know what uMax model you have but I can say this: I have never met one I didnt like.
My first detector was a Tesoro Silver Sabre II. Eventually I had a Silver Sabre uMax and I consider it the best of the lot, with maybe a Bandido uMax or and Eldorado falling in next if you like or need the manual GB. The Sidewinder was a goodie, too. I will buy any of these tomorrow with-out hesitation, so if anyone wants to sell one, let me know.

Of course the new Cibola/Vaquero would do as well, with a little better depth. I have a Vaq and I like it.

Some tips?
- Keep the SENS down. These units are deep enough for 80% of usage and will sound off cleanly over good targets - and will get squirrely over trash if you drive them too hard. You dont need it as high as you think you do. You'll find 6-8 is adequate for most uses.
- Save the MaxBoost for cleaner areas.
- Dont bother with the pinpoint, unless your uMax has a button for it. Even then, all you need is to slow down and pinpoint in the DISC mode, as it works well at pinpoint speed. When they say "slow-motion VLF" at Tesoro, they mean it. This saves time and is another benefit of using a Tesoro. ;D
- The DISC is razor edged, as are all Tesoros and with a little usage, you will learn where things ID at.
Practice this with a nickle, a square and ring pull tab and a zinc cent. When you learn where your machine cuts out on each of these, mark the spot on the DISC dial. Now you have a reasonable TID detector! This is the way I learned before I had my first TID unit and this ensured I dug more, instead of peering at some screen.
- For general hunting, set your DISC at a bit below nickel. Test this on foil bits and balls. For relics go lower to iron or even all metal.
- Finally, you have the ability to "SuperTune" your uMax. Here's how:
Set the threshold at the usual low hum, per the instructions. Then, crank it up into the higher ranges, all the way to max if you want, and then switch back into DISC mode.
Once "SuperTuned" this way, if you get over a really deep target, the detector will overcome the DISC lower signal limit and signal on that deep target.
Of course this will kill the ability to pinpoint in AM or even use the feature, so it may not be right for all settings. And it may blast you on shallow targets, so it isnt really needed all the time. But when you are in clean areas with the potential for deep targets, as in farmfield relic hunting or in the dry sand at the beach (this is an OPTIMUM place for it), it can be a help. Also, if you arent sure about an "iffy" target, which might be deep, you can go into this mode and check it out. Cool, huh?!

My current uMax is a Golden, with tone ID, which I like. It gives me an idea of the targets without me having to twirl that DISC knob. But I still dig nearly everything!

And that is my final tip to you...

- Buy the best, long trowel you can afford and make it your goal to wear it out.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you have on of the entry-level models, like a Conquistador or an Amigo? I cant recall all the models.

Nevertheless, you have options.

Some add a GB and Threshold to their uMax units that lack them. The cirucit boards are the same for them- Tesoro just brings more features to the front panel as the machines go up in levels and price.

You can also sell the one you have and move up in models.

Or keep it and get another!

ernie

Jun 11, 2004
i still have the silver saber 11 the sidewinder silver saber umax comparade and the cortes i like them all.i just parted with the original silver saber and silver saber plus l never found a bad one.

tntctrm

Greenie
Dec 11, 2006
25 MILES NORTH CHATT
Detector(s) used
TESORO TEJON
capgun said:
Would everyone post some info on the uMax? I have a new one I am going to hunt it for the first time today.
thanks.
:) :)i have a umax and i have found civil war relics and silver coins. they are a great detectors for trash and woods....

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of those, too! One of my favs! All the tips above work for it. I dug a quarter at 9" or 10" not long ago, with my SENS at 8-9... so there is some depth on tap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread