pugguppy

Greenie
Jul 3, 2016
Central Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites TreasurePRO & Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently purchased a Tesoro Vaquero I'm having trouble with the GB. I took it out for the first time today, but I can't get it to ground balance. I've read through the manual and I'm following every instruction. The ground I'm balancing on is free of metal. Regardless of where I turn the GB knob, I get a negative feedback. I've even cranked it all the way positive and its the same Negative feedback. Any idea whats going on? please help! :BangHead:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum! Do you have an electric dog fence; CCTV; HAM Radio operator, or High Voltage Electric wires near or in the area you are trying to ground balance in?

OP
OP
pugguppy

pugguppy

Greenie
Jul 3, 2016
Central Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope. I've tried in a few different locations and it's the same result. :/

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an idea...

I recently purchased a Tesoro Vaquero I'm having trouble with the GB. I took it out for the first time today, but I can't get it to ground balance. I've read through the manual and I'm following every instruction. The ground I'm balancing on is free of metal. Regardless of where I turn the GB knob, I get a negative feedback. I've even cranked it all the way positive and its the same Negative feedback. Any idea whats going on? please help! :BangHead:

I'm sure that you know this, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Since Tesoro uses 3¾ turn ground balance pots with no end stops..sometimes new users are a bit puzzled on where to start. If those pots had actual end stops, it would be lots easier for the new guy.

Try this.. Turn the GB knob about SIX full turns CLOCKWISE, then turn it back just one full turn counterclockwise. Recheck your ground balance again in all metal. If everything is working properly, you should now get a positive response as you're only one turn back from maximum positive. If you still don't have a positive response, again turn the knob SIX turns clockwise, leave it there and again check ground balance... You should be at max positive there.

A positive response will be an increase in threshold volume as the coil approaches the ground, and a negative response will be when the threshold tone goes quieter or "nulls".

IF you STILL have a negative response (where the audio nulls when the coil approaches the ground), then you may have a problem with your Vaquero. Not likely a Vaquero problem though; they're pretty trouble free.

Anyway, give that a try, then let us know what happens. Learning to ground balance is a little confusing at first, but once you know how, it just takes seconds.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Pugguppy,

Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

Pinenut has some very good advice. Also, if you go to "Youtube" and search for Tesoro Vaquero ground balance you will see the correct way to ground balance the detector.

Regards,

Doc

OP
OP
pugguppy

pugguppy

Greenie
Jul 3, 2016
Central Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try, but unfortunately there were no changes. I think I may have to send her in. :dontknow:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_moved_over.gif

..: Moved from New Member Introductions over to Brands > Tesoro for more exposure :..​

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you called the factory yet? Ask for Rusty Henry.

OP
OP
pugguppy

pugguppy

Greenie
Jul 3, 2016
Central Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's fixed! I removed the coil and screwed it in again and *poof*, it works! She runs great now! :headbang:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd

If a coil wire is open, dont you usually get a solid tone that never stops? Or just TX coil?

Great it's working!

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Odd

If a coil wire is open, dont you usually get a solid tone that never stops? Or just TX coil?

Great it's working!

Maybe not fully open, but just some dirt or oxidation causing increased resistance..?
Guessing maybe it's not a brand new Vaquero (?).
Good that it's working now! puguppy, time to find some treasure! :sunny:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions