Tesoro Vs All the Rest (Build Quality)

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like Tesoro really makes a quality built machine as it looks real good and sturdy (high quality of build). Not to mention they offer a lifetime warranty (even though most would not cover accidental damage), it must be built well. Right? I do not own one or have ever used one, but I did read an article earlier in the year that stated they were built well. The Tesoro line does not seem to have succumbed to the light weight plastic and fragile-like construction that is widely being offered by the metal detector industry to offset operating costs and job cuts at their companies; and possibly pave their way for future repair/replacement costs? :sign13:

I can only hope being they are a smaller company and hopefully growing they will come out with some really oustanding units in the time to come (Not that they don't already), that will really change the playing field. We as metal detector enthusiasts and consumers should not have to settle for poorly built machines when paying several hundred to a thousand dollars for a unit. You do not see them making soft plastic hunting rifles. You really should be getting something rugged and durable, especially since alot of them are taken into the bush, and not just used on a park green.

Anyone have any unit to unit comparisons on build and quality?

Yes ,Tesoro's are extremely tuff machines. The only other machines I have used that are as durable were the fisher CZ series.
I had a CZ 5 that I could not kill much like my cibola.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Isn't it amazing that these "Cheap," "Outdated," and "Inferior" Tesoro metal detectors are STILL the only machines on the market with a FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY for the original owner? Even more wild is how many Tesoro owners are STILL USING 20+ year old machines - and finding just as much or more treasure than all of our friends using much more expensive Whites; Garretts; Minelabs; Fishers and so on and so on.

It is no wonder a few haters continue the cheap shots and insults. They just can't get past spending all those extra dollars on their "superior" machines and being outhunted by "outdated single tone contraptions." Laughing REALLY hard at the folks that just can't get over themselves.. :tongue3:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't it amazing that these "Cheap," "Outdated," and "Inferior" Tesoro metal detectors are STILL the only machines on the market with a FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY for the original owner? Even more wild is how many Tesoro owners are STILL USING 20+ year old machines - and finding just as much or more treasure than all of our friends using much more expensive Whites; Garretts; Minelabs; Fishers and so on and so on.

It is no wonder a few haters continue the cheap shots and insults. They just can't get past spending all those extra dollars on their "superior" machines and being outhunted by "outdated single tone contraptions." Laughing REALLY hard at the folks that just can't get over themselves.. :tongue3:

I actually think the build quality is just fine. If you read my posts, you would see that. Only prob I had was a scratchy pot on the Compadre. Easily fixed with some canned air. They are durable detectors, so 'Terry on my wayward Solomon', Lol!

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't argue with you on their website. I have said it before and will say it again, there is no excuse for that poor of a website in this day and age. Now Whites did update their website and the new look is refreshing, but they seem to have a lack of detailed information on their detectors. Most vendors have more info on the detectors on their sites than Whites does.

Why would anyone use one? I work in the tech field all day, and long days at that. Simple suits me for that reason. When I get time I just want to turn and go. For me the Silver uMax was a lot of detector for the dollar. Once you learn the single tone and it's variations and to use the disc properly, it is pretty simple to use. Bang for the buck is another reason I can think of. I am not against VDI screens and have seriously considered buying and MX5 or M6. I even got to demo a M6 and was amazed at how rock steady the VDI was. The weight wasn't really a factor because it was very well balanced and the build quality was exceptional. I came close to buying but didn't because I didn't get the impression from my testing that it was a depth demon like a Tejon, Vaquero, F70, F75, or T2.

To me it just seems you can get a lot of detector for less money. There is a trade off as you have pointed out, and that is living with single tone and no VDI. That's a fair trade off for some, while for others it's not acceptable.

Passionate- It's kind of the Ford vs. Chevy thing. When I grew up my dad hated Chevys and I was raised anti-Chevy. That being said I drive a Chevy today. It's what works best for me.

As far as jerks, there some on all the forums that are brand loyal and if you are not using their brand you are wrong. I like the word opinionated better. I read all the detector brand forums and well your perceptions of the Tesoro forum may seem that way, as an outsider on the Whites forum, I could draw the same conclusion. Some of the other forums too. I am not picking on Whites. Regardless, I still read them because even if I don't use that brand I can and do still learn a lot from them. I also enjoy seeing what others have found, what detector they used, how deep the target was, etc.

I like Tesoro for some of the reasons stated above. I also like the warranty and customer service. Having said that, from what I have read the other US manufacturers also have excellent customer service.

I am in the process of buying my third Tesoro. For now that is what I like using because I have success with them and am familiar with them, thus shortening any learning curve. Does that make me brand loyal? In some peoples eyes- yes. The thing is I have considered several VDI detectors from all of the major players, and someday I have no doubt I will own one. Right now though, with lack of time, I like what is simple and has been working well for me.

All of the forums have some opinionated people. Opinions are like something that everyone has (won't say it, but it is locate midway up on the backside) . It is just of matter of reading through them and sorting the good from the bad. That is on all the forums, not just Tesoro. There are some real good users on all the forums that are a wealth of information and help everybody become better.

I guess the bottom line is use what works best for you. We all have different things we want and need in a detector and that's good. That's why we have more than one manufacturer and more than one model to choose from. I like it that way.

I have to agree on whites machines,you can tweak them for years on end and never get as good of results as you'll get with a tesoro,fisher in particular,teknetics,bounty hunter,or dowsing rods.Or any other detector ever made...but i'm keep'in an open mind..But that is just my opinion and don't beleive anyone should really care about my opinion,because other people apparently connect with white's machines and it does'nt anger me or make me want to change there mind like some one on here does.. and not you brother,,peace out

2oldbones

Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to agree on whites machines,you can tweak them for years on end and never get as good of results as you'll get with a tesoro,fisher in particular,teknetics,bounty hunter,or dowsing rods.Or any other detector ever made...but i'm keep'in an open mind..But that is just my opinion and don't beleive anyone should really care about my opinion,because other people apparently connect with white's machines and it does'nt anger me or make me want to change there mind like some one on here does.. and not you brother,,peace out
Being an old Whites user I have a problem, I have a dfx that needs repair. Do I fix it or set it aside and buy a Tesoro? Now I have followed this thread from the beginning and I feel that the Tesoro would probably work well for me. My only question is, which one? I have no desire to plop down a bunch of money if I don`t have too. I did that with the dfx and wasn`t very pleased with the way it has preformed over the last 12 years. I have been in this hobby for over 42 years and was always of the belief that the more one spent on a machine the better off he was. Sadly, White`s dfx proved that idea as being totally wrong. So, here we go Tesoro experts, Which one should I purchase? (I only hunt relics)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being an old Whites user I have a problem, I have a dfx that needs repair. Do I fix it or set it aside and buy a Tesoro? Now I have followed this thread from the beginning and I feel that the Tesoro would probably work well for me. My only question is, which one? I have no desire to plop down a bunch of money if I don`t have too. I did that with the dfx and wasn`t very pleased with the way it has preformed over the last 12 years. I have been in this hobby for over 42 years and was always of the belief that the more one spent on a machine the better off he was. Sadly, White`s dfx proved that idea as being totally wrong. So, here we go Tesoro experts, Which one should I purchase? (I only hunt relics)

The Tejon or the Vaquero.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depth and sensitivity for the type of crap you're trying to find.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^I think he means diarrhea/solids

one machine won't do it all.

He's not trying to "do it all".....he said he only hunts relics. And the tejon and vaquero are their relic machines. And both have very good reviews......from most people who have really given them a try. I dont understand why people hate these machines so much??? lol I am not a Tesoro expert by any means but i have used several and looked at just about all of them. High-tech they are not, but great depth, awesome disc. and very good quality......all at a great price with a lifetime warrranty. Oh, i do see why yall hate them....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me "relics" are just crap iron and junk - not worth the time to dig.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol.....well here in VA relics are also: Breast plates, cartride plates, minnie balls, etc....

Great - have fun! I'll stick with silver and gold.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For depth on relics the Tejon is just flat out deep in my mild soil. Sometimes to deep. The dual disc would work really well for what you are planning on doing.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoros excel at relic hunting,amazing depth and very good target seperation.And the lifetime warranty and feather lite..

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think multi tones would be considdered "bells, and whistles".

Because Tesoro claims the smallest percentage (by a big margin) of the metal detector market of the big three, there's obviously a lot more people that share my "bologna" opinion.

These "discussions" always seem to ruffle someone's feathers, even though I mentioned all their (tesoros') good points.

Can you give us any reasons why your vaquero is better than the 20 other units, just the fact that you like it is not a reason. you can narrow down all the ones you have used to just the ones that are similarly priced.

Have to agree with Rick on this,muti tones are not bells & whistles and allows you to run zero disc and hunt in the junk and seperate and find coins that would be missed by disc up to eliminate iron with a single tone..If tesoro add at least 2 tones to all machines that would a benefit,even a $49.00 bounty hunter toy i had for kids years ago had that..I prefer 3-4 tones myself,but as my handle says i do like tesoro..But my fav is fisher period..

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to agree with Rick on this,muti tones are not bells & whistles and aloows you to run zero disc and hunt in the junk and seperate and find coins that would be missed by disc up to eliminate iron with a single tone..If tesoro add at least 2 tones to all machines that would a benefit,even a $49.00 bounty hunter toy i had for kids years ago had that..I prefer 3-4 tones myself,but as my handle says i do like tesoro..But my fav is fisher period..
True. I like to run zero disc and use tones to decide what to dig. The less disc, the less likely to mask good targets.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People also miss targets because when they are running no disc/multi tone, they encounter a target(coin) with a nail or two keeping it company....just enough to make it sound rough and screw up the VDI readout. So you think junk....and pass it up......
and im sure you disagree Scott....lol

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no doubt multi tones with real low disc or all metal is an advantage. The problem is most of the areas I have been hunting are sooooooo trashy it would hard to make heads or tails out of all the music. Not saying it cant be done and isn't done, but I imagine you would have to really slow it down to try and get a good sounding high tone hit. There is a lot of junk out there that would have the right conductivity to give a high tone hit. In some situations where trash is extreme, notching or high disc is the only reasonable option. Do you miss some coins? No doubt, I am sure I have.

If multi tones are what has given you great success, it would be hard to justify switching to a single tone. I understand that. Conversely though, I have had great success with the Tesoro single tone and can tell most trash from a coin. Some exceptions are bottlecaps with the sides bent in. For me I will stick with what has bought me success, and that is Tesoro.

There are guys that do well and have had success with all makes. It can be hard to mess with what is successful for you, and really why would you. Some people will go through several detectors to find the one that suits them well. When they find it, it's a keeper. For me that has been Tesoro, for others it's something different. So be it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread