What's new

Test it all...i almost learned the hard way

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2014
Messages
1,221
Reaction score
1,336
Golden Thread
1
Location
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awhile back I posted a huge silver cross I found on a beach hunt. I didn't test the metal or stones since it looked like silver and I figured the stones would be fake. Well I invested a few bucks on a cheap diamond tester and started running through all of my junk pile as well as the keeper pile. While I guessed correctly on everything else, turns out the stones were real on this baby yet if failed the silver acid test and the 14 & 18k test. 10k not conclusive. Off to my local jewelry store where I learned that white 10k is difficult to to test due to the alloys used. He sent it off to be assayed and it comes back as 10k, lots of real bling. What I though was a $20 melt value, is actually 25g of 10k plus some nice stones. A $500+++ cross heading to eBay. Sal
 

Attachments

  • image-1639461008.webp
    image-1639461008.webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice...that thing is a beauty.
 
.

Not all diamond testers distinguishes diamonds from all moissanite, be sure you get tester that can tell the difference as many of cheaper ones can't.
 
Very nice cross once again !! Crosses seem to be hard to find on land even harder than rings. Think I have found two crosses both made from aluminum out here.

Ugh why are there so many copy cats on diamonds, probably a silly question ! I looked at the Mossianite testers and they are a bit expensive for my needs at the moment, I seldom have rings that would have good stones here.
 
Boy you're on a roll here lately !!!

WTG
 
I wonder why it has no markings?
 
I wonder why it has no markings?
Very good question. The jeweler was surprised too. Better question, where the heck is the huge chain lol!
 
Wonderful report on that cross, redcobra!:hello2:

That's a beautiful find!

Lorraine
 
Great find and thank goodness you had it tested :)
good info for everyone!
 
Awesome! Invested in a tester long ago. Money well spent!
 
HUGE recovery and a pretty piece as well. good find!
 
Years ago I found a 18k medical tag on a beach in Spain, it had a phone # so we called and returned it... To learn how it was lost without a chain.. We were told by the young girl who lost it, that they were swimming and the chain broke, she felt the chain break, reached up and grabbed it, but the medal slipped off the chain into the water.. We found after it had been lost 2 years prior.. On the same beach she had been on, after some heavy weather pushed stuff up from off shore.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom