tested a clean sweep coil on my sand shark today at the beach......

S

SHALLOW HAL

i heard alot about the clean sweep so i bought one and used it for the first time this morning in the dry sand, wet sand and in the low water. to tell you the truth i was a little dissapointed. here are my pros and cons in my opinion.

pros - covers alot of ground very quickly
- easy to pinpoint once you get used to it.
cons - heavier than my 8 inch coil
- gets even heavier in the surf. i had to switch hands every so often.
- depth seems alot less than the 8 inch. most of what i found today was at around 2-3 inches. with the 8 inch coil i was at around 6-7 inches.
- and finaly when i was hunting in the wet sand and a wave would come in and cover the clean sweep it sounded like a goose in its death throws. then when the wave would recede it would go back to a normal signal. it did this every time the water hit the coil.
i guess i was expecting too much from this coil after everything i had heard. looks like i will be using the 8 inch from now on.

john

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SHALLOW HAL

cappy Z and captain A

to be honest i havent found any gold with the sand shark yet. i have only had it about a month but i have found pennies at about 6-7 inches in the wet sand with the 8 inch coil. i can only judge the depth by what i have found so far. it might detect deeper than 7 inches but so far i havent found anything deeper yet. as far as the clean sweep goes everything i found today in the dry sand was at about 3 inches . in the wet sand i only found a very tiny rusty nail at about 3-4 inches. but then i was getting erratic sounds when the waves would come in and cover the coil. maybe its me and not the coil. maybe i need to adjust all my settings with pulse width, threshold and frequency. i was just expecting it to work alot better than it did.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the Clean Sweep coil on the Tiger Shark with much success. Granted I have not found a gold ring deeper than 6 inches yet, but I mainly wanted it for the dry sand of the recent drops. For the wet sand or in the water I like the depth of the Excal 1000.

The Clean Sweep is not advertised as a deep coil. What it lacks in depth, it makes up for in area covered and this equals more finds in some areas. Not all the stuff is deep and then there is the wasted recovery time spent on trash with a PI. Used on a Tesoro land detector on the dry sand collects lots of extra targets in the minimum amount of time.

HH,
Sandman

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Sandman,
How high do you set your discrimination on your Tiger Shark with clean sweep coil to weed out the trash? I found a 14K white gold class ring a couple weeks ago by site because my Radio Shack detector was not working right. After the Radio Shack detector came back on and i scanned the ring, it showed up as iron 95% of the time. Unfortunately, I returned the ring to its owner while my Tiger Shark was in for repairs and did not get a chance to test it to see where it discriminated out. Any thoughts? Ralph

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since most detectors behave differently even side by side and at different parts of the world, my settings might not be the same as your settings. The best way to find this is to lay a bunch of various targets down on a clean piece of ground and see where they drop out. I can tell you that I use no discrimination at a beach or in the water. Sure I dig a lot, and I recover a lot of Gold & Silver too. Usually I set it to give a funny sound on a hair pin. All else is good.

You'll be happy with the Tesoro Clean Sweep coil, especially in the dry sand for it's extra coverage. The more ground covered per sweep Equals more finds per hour. Of course this assumes your not digging to china on each target.

Hope this helps Ralph,
Sandman

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Thanks Sandman,
I can't wait to try the Clean Sweep coil on a beach where glass bottles are not allowed. On the beaches around here, I actually find 5 times as many beer bottle caps as I do pennies. Last time out I found $1.82 and about 50 beer bottle caps. I know that the less discrimination you use, the deeper it will detect. Since the Tesoro doesn't give a tone difference for difference targets, I guess I just dig it all or play with the discrimination on a target by target basis to see where it discriminates out if I don't want to dig the high tones. I think until I get use to it, I will have to keep digging it all. I haven't found a bobby pin yet, so i will have to see if that becomes a problem.

I appreciate the insight.

HH Ralph

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Sandman does the clean sweep sink or float? I hunt a area that is all fresh drops the extra coverage would be great. But I do not want a coil I have to hold down all the time.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Clean Sweep coil does not float, however I haven't found it to be heavier than the average coil on land either. I don't care for it in the surf because of it's 18" X 3" size it gets moved around by wave action more than a spider coil type.

Sandman

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Sandman, Have you ever had to use the salt mode on the Tiger Shark, even though you were in the dry sand. Last night I was out at the beach ($0.56 in clad). The tide was out and I worked the wet sand and water's edge in the salt mode. Found a dime and penny at about 6". Then went to the dry sand and switched to normal mode. I tried without success to re-ground balance the TS. I settled for a slight positive tone in the re-balance. First time I have not been able to get it to balance with an even tone. Then I couldn't keep it stable. Every movement of the Clean Sweep coil made it chatter. After about an hour of driving myself nuts I and as it was getting dark, I was walking out to the car and though I would try switching to the salt mode and re-ground balanced it and the unit seemed to stabilize for the last 5 minutes. My wife told me it had rained at the beach and the sand was damp a couple of inches down. Have you ever had to use your TS in the salt mode on dry sand or do I just have the sensitivity turned up too high? Thanks, Ralph

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Ralph, Sorry it took so long to answer this question. I've been chasing the beaches and didn't have time to read all the posts.

Yes, I have had to turn on the salt mode in "dry sand" because once it gets damp, the salt in it changes the GB. Turning down the Sens. would have helped too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread