The Abyss, from the Memorial crowd

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I was at sea with the skipper for Memorial Day, so was not able to detect.

...and Thank You for your service, those who have died, or even served in our defense.

Today I got out for a bit in the local park to see what may have been left behind.

It was Slim Pickens, again....

I was sure some beeper had passed before me until I dug a little bit of shiny clad from the vollyball sand.

Then I found the Titanium wedding band! ;D

52108lambt 055cz.JPG
Here's the story...
Research shows they run from $100 to $350, with another $60 to set a small stone.
So I did OK for an hour or so...
But here's the fun part!

In 1989 a film was released called "The Abyss," in which an actor, Ed Harris, was saved from peril by his titanium wedding band. A replica of the ring in the script is still sold today. Mine is a tad different...

I recall seeing the movie, but was probably watching Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio! ;D

HH
rmptr

Upvote 0
That's a nice 16 cylinder car you got there. You don't see those every day. I guess the ring is good too. :icon_jokercolor:

Hello Hart...

Yah, it's a Hotwheels Sweet 16.

I think they're poaching designs... It's kinda got a big differential type thing in between the front wheels...
maybe front wheel drive, OR, a crank mounted supercharger like the old Cord.

Didn't Cadillac have a V-12? What was V-16? Packard? or Allison?

And it's got the boat tail speedster thing going, too. Like one of the Cord's and the Deusenberg speedsters.

...Many, many moons ago I lived in a HUGE apartment complex for a short time. I was out in the alleyway getting a 45 servicar running and a couple, a ways down, goes to open up a garage, same as a hundred others, and out comes an Auburn boat tailed speedster! Boy was I surprised! ;D
It was beautiful.

In the city, you never know what's gonna happen next!

HH
rmptr

Sry, I use a Tesoro SS uMax... Dig 'em all!

The ring was a definite strong signal!
Nobody would have passed it up.

HH
rmptr

Loved the movie. Saw it probably 5 times. I don't remember anything about the ring tho., I must have been looking at her pretty eyes. Congrats on a great find.

christ-first said:
cool finds. evidentally, parks always end up re-plenishing themselves.

Yes, First,

That's been my experience.
And I've admitted to being a shallow turf hunter. ;D

It's pretty much all I do.
Parks, schools, and playgrounds. No relics, no old timey sites, no CW battlegrounds.
I'd like to get to the beach more often, but that's not reality.

Everything in the world can end up at a park, school, or playground.
Kids get into EVERYTHING!!!!!!

HH
rmptr

Nice finds guy, really like the Ring!

HH, Ringfinder

Titanium ring in the Abyss. One of the early scenes, Harris is po'ed with ex, so he tosses his ring in the chemical toilet; thinks a moment and fished it out. Plays the next 3rd of the film with a blue hand from the chemicals. Then later when habitat is filling up with water, and the WT Doors are closing, he jams his hand between the pneumatic water tight door and the door jamb. The Ti ring stops the door so he can cut the pneumatic line. Yeah, yeah, I know I am a detail geek!

Pax Christi
Rev. Joel+

WoW, Rev!

You're good!

I'll bet you can pick out those fun flaws in films really good, too.

We always get a kick out of that...

Like in Captain Ron, when the kid spills the milk on the plans in the kitchen?

Best,
rmptr

Nice finds. The Duesenbergs were using sixteen cylinder engines before anyone else was. Back when all the other cars were struggling to go 55 MPH the Dusenberg had a 16 cyl car that would muster 130 MPH. The only current car that I'm aware of that has a 16 cyl engine off the showroom floor is the Bugatti Veyron, a 1001 horsepower monster that smacks around Ferraris and Lamborghinis for fun. The car actually has two keys. If you turn on only one key, about 500 HP is on tap. If you turn on both keys, you enable all 1001 whiplash inducing horsepower. There is your car lesson for the day. Carry on. ;D :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back