The beautiful intangibles of metal detecting...

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today went out into the quiet woods to detect. I'm quietly swinging, poking around in the leaf litter and pine needles, crouching down now and then to dig a plug when I look up and notice a deer not 50 feet away, watching me intently. I watched her for a minute or two before I notice her fawn, also watching me, off to the left a bit.

Finally decided to just go about my business and keep on with my detecting. This mother deer and her fawn were not afraid at all, and stayed nearby me for about 20 minutes or so, the mother grazing here and there, and the fawn (an older fawn without spots) even went up and nursed on her mother twice, right in front of me. I couldn't believe it, what a beautiful sight.

She was definitely intrigued by my scraping and digging, and approached me several times...

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Animals know.Animals can sense when you mean to harm them and when you dont.Sometimes they cant,can over come the natural flight tendencies,curiosity sometimes over rides it.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She was curious if you were digging food for the deer picnic. :laughing7: Wish I was there to experience that, so cool. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe you haven't had a shower in a while and she thought you were one large possum. :laughing7:

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so cool! It's nice when you get to experience little gifts like that.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's worth going out right there even if you never got a keeper from the hunt. It's memories like this that stay with us for many years.
I remember hunting in the bush and for some reason I looked up and there was this 8 point buck looking at me, tilting it's head like a dog would do, I'm thinking I hope this big guy doesn't think I'm trying to cut some of the gals from his herd. I stood there for a good 5 minutes frozen watching him watching me, and I'm thinking if he decides to charge what am I going to do? I slowly back off and he went on eating and walked in the other direction with his gals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread