What's new

The big cottonwood

tamrock

Platinum Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2013
Messages
16,407
Reaction score
34,874
Golden Thread
0
Location
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the field out to the east of me is an abandoned coal minesite of Mitchell. It's a place you can only walk to, as its gated in from an access road from a main road. There's this big old narley cottonwood tree out there and I've wondered how old could it be. I found online an aerial photo of the area taken in 1937. In that photo you can see the old tree I admire as I walk by it. It's like a giant living out there. Ive compared the 1937 aerail to the latest satellite photo and I can see that tree was there growing in that spot longer than 88 years.
 

Attachments

  • Coal-location-map (1).webp
    Coal-location-map (1).webp
    235.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot_20250621_164524_Gallery.webp
    Screenshot_20250621_164524_Gallery.webp
    73.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 20250624_131255.webp
    20250624_131255.webp
    761.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I love old trees like that. I wish they could tell the stories they’ve seen.
 
I love old trees like that. I wish they could tell the stories they’ve seen.
I know me too. The irritation ditch it grows next to is pretty old and dug in the later 19th century I believe. The tree is surly over a hundred years.
 
I know me too. The irritation ditch it grows next to is pretty old and dug in the later 19th century I believe. The tree is surly over a hundred years.
"
Eastern cottonwoods typically live 70–100 years, but they have the potential to live 200–400 years in ideal conditions.

The Balmville Tree (felled in 2015 at approximately 316 years old) was the oldest eastern cottonwood in the United States"

 
Sure glad they have stopped 'snowing'.I have one right in the back yard...what a mess.
 
As a coin shooter I always want to detect around ANY big old trees.
 
Sure glad they have stopped 'snowing'.I have one right in the back yard...what a mess.
They are messy. We had friends in Greeley Colorado and they had a huge Plains cottonwood in the yard that fuzzed up every year. The city ordered them to have it taken down at their cost. Cost me $2800. to have mine taken down. It was a seedless hybrid, but it got some kind of fungus and was dieing off. Sad for the squirrels who I used to wedge nuts in the bark for them to gather up for winter.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom