The deal of my life on EBAY, Excalibur II brand new!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has nothing to do with Powerhobby. Simply look at the ebay Listing:

BRAND: "4D CITY SCAPE"

It is a Chinese Knock-Off. Here is the listing from Alibaba.com:

EXCALIBUR II KNOCK-OFF

Sorry to be the one to break it to you. I would try and buy your next detector from an Authorized Minelab Dealer.

To everybody else, one thing that is giving many reputable detector manufacturers a bad name are the good looking but junky knock-offs. People think they are authentic, and when they don't perform, or fall apart, they blame Minelab (or whomever).

...........also, I have serious doubts as to the waterproof integrity of a cheap Chinese Knock-Off.

Austin,

...and what happens when he takes his new Excalibur to the beach, and it leaks and burns out. Now, we have someone that thinks Minelab is junk. Better to know the truth than live with a lie.

Mike

Last edited:

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should contact them and tell them it's not a true excal II, send it back. Add some more $$, and get a real one, you'll love the machine!

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It can still be real. I would let him wait and see once he gets it. He has 30 days. To be fair if they list tons of items on ebay they could of messed up the brand. Its not difficult to do because fields can get prefilled and such. On a negative note I checked out their ebay store and they are not a minelab dealer. They also don't have great reviews online or on facebook. A lot of complaints about people never getting items or they arrived broken. Also complaints about them not answering phone. Definitely getting more shady as time goes on....now watch him get the detector and its real and perfect lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lespaul337

Jan 17, 2014
Lake Charles
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Waterproof Pro Pointer, MineLab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They have sold several hundred Garrett detectors with not one negative feedback that I could find.I asked about the 4d City scape thing and I was told it was an accident on the listing. 4D City Scape is a brand name of puzzle that the company sells. Also, they have sold several hundred Garrett detectors with not one negative feedback that I could find. As an ebay seller, I have also done this, listing multiple items and forget to change a brand name or size or anything else. Thanks for all of the advice guys. I will definitely be checking it out with minelab to verify.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they're not an authorized Minelab dealer, then why.....??
Mine Lab 3303-0106 Excalibur II Underwater Metal Detector - Powerhobby.com

Wouldn't they be digging their own grave by trying to sell Chinese knock-offs??

When it comes, dunk it in the bath tub. If it works, take it out for a real test. If it STILL works, keep smiling. :icon_thumright:

If it don, .... :crybaby2:

Minelab has a listing you can search of ALL authorized sellers. Go to their website and search it. As for the "mis-labled" Ebay ad.... why does their website say the exact same thing for the manufacturer?

OP
OP
L

lespaul337

Jan 17, 2014
Lake Charles
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got off of the phone with Minelab.. They put my mind at ease.. They said Power Hobby was an authorized dealer that is selling off their remaining merchandise. She said she is certain the machine will be authentic but to call with the serial number to verify and for warranty purposes.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got off of the phone with Minelab.. They put my mind at ease.. They said Power Hobby was an authorized dealer that is selling off their remaining merchandise. She said she is certain the machine will be authentic but to call with the serial number to verify and for warranty purposes.

If you get the s# pm me with it, I have contacts in Minelab and I can verify s# in 30 seconds...

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to back you up, I also just got off the phone with Minelab. Debbie (the same lady you spoke with) told me that PowerHobby USED to be an authorized dealer. You may not know this, but Minelab (and every other detector company) price fixes their merchandise. I shouldn't say "price fix" (because that is illegal HAHAHA). They have a minimum price they allow their dealers to sell their equipment for. Technically its not price fixing, but it does seem that way. If you get caught cheap-selling their product, they will yank your "AUTHORIZED" status. I sent her a screenshot of the ebay listing the sold price at $760 plus $124.99 shipping. She said that was waaaaaaaaaay below the amount they are authorized to sell it for. She said you never told her what the selling price was, or she would have maybe had a different thought on the matter. She said that she didn't know why they quit being an authorized dealer, but they are no longer an authorized Minelab Dealer. Debbie also said that you should definitely call her back with the serial number for verification.

Now, the skeptical (and jaded) side of me thinks they WERE an authorized dealer, and maybe got caught selling knock-offs, and got launched by Minelab.

But, the logical side of me says maybe they quit selling Minelab, and just wanted to unload what was left of their inventory, and you got the deal of the century. Your deal was way below what they were allowed to sell it for, and Debbie called them to find out after your call. If you look now, they have the same thing listed for $1948.99:

EXCAL II

I also checked their website, and YES, they do sell 4D Cityscape Puzzles.

This is what more than likely happened: For whatever reason, they decided not to sell Minelab any more. They were unloading the last of their Minelab Stuff, when you (or I) contacted Minelab. Debbie called them to find out why they sold an Excal so cheap. They got scared and changed the current pricing of their Excals to what they SHOULD BE.

All supposition is worthless. Just call PowerHobby, get the serial number, call Debbie, and see if its real. End of story. HAHAHA For your sake, I sincerely hope I was wrong, and you got a SMOKIN' DEAL on your new Excal.

Best of Luck - Mike

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This whole situation is exactly why I bought my CZ21 from Kellyco. If I am trying to buy new an authorized dealer who specializes in MDs is the way to go. This whole having to check up on things isn't worth a few hundred dollars to me.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...I had to "work in" buying a used Silver uMax for $160. It'd be worth the effort to me. However, I bought mine from a dealer, so I know it's real, I know it's used, and at that price for that model, I know it's not fake. :laughing7:

I think lespaul did the right thing. He checked it out - they're a longtime eBay member with great feedback, they have physical stores that you can shop in, and they still sell the same unit on their website. Would it be "cautious" to check up on it? Yes. But this whole ordeal has gotten way out of hand here. Again, all we can do is wait for him to get the machine and get verification on it.

At that, I bid all adieu. :wave:

...One final note - all of this is for a $1,500-2,000 (new; retail) detector. How many times in the past have there been car dealerships that have sold closeout models that they no longer carried for less than sticker price? A car is worth a whole lot more than a detector. Would you be so suspicious of a car dealer? (yeah, I know China isn't copying cars.....YET!)

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This whole situation is exactly why I bought my CZ21 from Kellyco. If I am trying to buy new an authorized dealer who specializes in MDs is the way to go. This whole having to check up on things isn't worth a few hundred dollars to me.

More than a few hundred! If you Ebay Search "Excalibur II" you will see what their "authorized minimum" is: $1499! Even if you kick in the $125 shipping charge, $885 is $644 BELOW what they can sell it for. I don't know about you, but $644 is enough for me to at least check it out! HAHAHA

I am no dealer, but I bet $885 is pretty close to what he paid Minelab for them.

Mike

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That $1499 is lowest advertise price allowed, not lowest sell price...

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That $1499 is lowest advertise price allowed, not lowest sell price...

Thanks for the correction. In the car business, if we try and do that, we get fined by the DMV, and they call it price fixing (happened to two Acura Dealers in San Diego). HAHAHA

A buddy of mine was an authorized dealer for MANY years, but when he retired, he and his wife hit the road. I should have gotten a job with the city, and I could be retiring in a few years at six figures plus!

Mike

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
just wondering, could the excal2 lespaul337 bought, be the older model
if mem servs me i thought, that detector was introduced around 2009/10
and had some seal issues, or i could be not remembering it right

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just wondering, could the excal2 lespaul337 bought, be the older model
if mem servs me i thought, that detector was introduced around 2009/10
and had some seal issues, or i could be not remembering it right

It is either a Chinese Knock-Off or leftover stock from a "No Longer Authorized Minelab Dealer".

Mike

OP
OP
L

lespaul337

Jan 17, 2014
Lake Charles
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Their price on ebay and there website was always the 1900 dollar price, I won this on an auction that didn't have a reserve. After talking to the company and Minelab, taking into account that their feedback is amazing and how confident they were and the stories matching exactly what minelab said, I am 95% positive I am going to get a legit product. If I don't, no problem, I will get all of my money back.. If I do, awesome I will have a great machine for a great price.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Only 95%? I would've probably figured 97% to 98%. I don't think there's any business out there that has been around for a while AND been successful that is going to make such a foolish mistake. Caution is good, especially when dealing with eBay. But logic hits home as well.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their price on ebay and there website was always the 1900 dollar price, I won this on an auction that didn't have a reserve. After talking to the company and Minelab, taking into account that their feedback is amazing and how confident they were and the stories matching exactly what minelab said, I am 95% positive I am going to get a legit product. If I don't, no problem, I will get all of my money back.. If I do, awesome I will have a great machine for a great price.
PM me your s#, I will call my contacts when they open in morning..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread