The dreaded foil.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Foil generally breaks up in signal/TDI if you raise the coil while sweeping. Foil also tends to give inconsistent readings when sweeping over it in an "X" pattern.

Just like gold jewelry and gold chains.

Sucks. ;-)

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sad fact of detecting is that no matter how many advances there have been in modern equipment there are still no machines that can discriminate between gold and aluminum. If it were different all the gold would have been found by now. Patience is the gold seekers best pal. Lots of patience.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luckily, there's more Gold in the ground than foil so dig it all and you will be rewarded!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My old Minelab Musketeer (old analog VHF) will give a "click" or put a hard consonant sound in an otherwise smooth "ooOOoo" sound with foil. Not always, but one more clue in what you are detecting.

But then again so will gold chain.

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. (TANSTAAFL)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luckily, there's more Gold in the ground than foil so dig it all and you will be rewarded!

If that's the case, there is someone out there with a whole lot of my gold share, because I have most of his aluminum share!

OP
OP
R

R.Duck

Apr 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I found this guys video with one setting change that could be a game changer tell me what you think of the setting and what downside you might see?

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I found this guys video with one setting change that could be a game changer tell me what you think of the setting and what downside you might see?

(The really good stuff starts about 1:45 of the video.)
He did a good job of comparing signals under different conditions and metal types to "alanuminum".
I wish the video was in English. :laughing7: I couldn't quite make out which setting he was adjusting.

Which setting did he adjust to 9?
(I don't have an E800 but an ATMax.)

Last edited:

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(The really good stuff starts about 1:45 of the video.)
He did a good job of comparing signals under different conditions and metal types to "alanuminum".
I wish the video was in English. :laughing7: I couldn't quite make out which setting he was adjusting.

Which setting did he adjust to 9?
(I don't have an E800 but an ATMax.)

Minelab introduced a new iron bias setting last year called "F2". That's the setting he was adjusting.
I believe it's purpose was to do a better job of knocking out bottle caps on beaches, but it could have broader benefits.
I also think that setting all the way up to 9 (out of 9) like the gentleman did in the video would have some downsides, like maybe some missed silver coins.

When the setting came out I did some testing using my Eq800 but I was testing coins mixed in with old iron nails, since that's what I'm seeing most often where I detect. I found that the original FE settings and the new F2 settings made some minor differences but weren't "game changers" for me in my tests.
Instead I found that I just needed to learn my detector's behavior better by....digging more targets and learning from experience. I concluded that there wasn't a magical setting that would solve my iron nail problem for me.

(If anyone's interested: in my New Jersey soil I find that some old iron nails will give signals up in the 20's but they won't be a consistent signal like a coin as I detect them from different angles. Instead nail signals will usually mix more negatives into the signal from one angle than another, while a coin tends to be consistent from multiple directions.
And I use the pinpoint function to try to tell if it's a small round target or an elongated target, which I'm getting better at distinguishing.
And then finally when I come out of pinpoint mode the first signal that the detector gives tells me something; if I get a signal in the 20's as I turn off pinpoint then I'm more confident it's a coin, while a negative right away has me doubt the target. It's a little game I play, and I'm batting about 0.500 over the last 20 coins I've found.)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been recommending F2 @9 ever since the new iron bias settings were available. To be fair, there is always a trade off when adjusting settings. In this case, I can see a chance of additional target masking and a slight loss of depth using F2 @9, but, in actual use, I'm frankly not noticing any, so, it must be minor. I run my machine at that setting most of the time.

o2findit

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys
Can you knock out pulltabs with this setting and still get the gold. Most pulltabs are a lttle higher in vdi than small gold rings. Regards.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been able to do that. Anything above iron (and sometimes with iron tones mixed in) can be gold. Any amount of discriminating out non-ferrous numbers will result in lost gold. Granted, some of that small gold might not worth the trouble, especially in urban parks, but, that would be a decision that you would have to make.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread