oldlock.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 617
  • Restored lock.JPG
    Restored lock.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 613
M

mattjd

Re: The Dremel & Crisco Method

Nice Jake! If you get the soft brush attachment for the dremel, it will get in the cremises better than the stiff ones..

HH MattJD

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

I have just about every attachment there is! I tried using that one, but it was too soft and didnt take off all the rust and stuff but i do use it for shining up things.

M

mattjd

Here's what I do for your kind of relic. First I just use the Dremel to get it the best I can. Anything I miss I use 110 sand paper that I fold into a point to get in the tight spots. Then put a THIN layer of oil on the relic periodically to keep it from rusting.

HH Matt

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

yea, as you can see i didnt get around to those tight spaces with the sandpaper yet :P another thing to do today after school if i go. What kind of oil do you use? car oil?

M

mattjd

Any kind of oil will work. I use 3-in-1 oil. WD-40 will be fine to use too.

Matt

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

any before and after pics of the oil? im thinking it might be better than crisco ::) crisco works great to bring out details but the artifacts need a new coat every year :-\

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium

Careful with the sandpaper and other tough stuff, guys!

Clean and shiny isn't alway best :)

That WD-40 will hit those crevasses nicely without doing damage too.

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

Very right jonstar!! i have seen stuff at flea markets that people have shined the crap out of and its so ugly looking >:( As you can see in my second pic, i dont make any part of it shiney, just get the surface rust off and apply crisco, which i dont think is considered applying a chemical because its like a food right? The first pic by the way is a partial cleaning and second one is almost final, just gotta get the nooks and crannies ;) yea i use WD-40 inside the lock to make sure it doesnt rust on the inside. I used to cringe when people said things like wire wheels and sandpaper and steel wool :o But then i found out they are not as harsh as you think :) I mean wouldnt you rather have the second one than the first? the trick is to just go over it real quik so you dont make an uneven finish. O yea, i just rigged up a central vacume system to my vise so that way when i have something in the vise and im dremeling it all the rust just gets sucked up the vac, works pretty well and now im not afraid to clean even the rustiest stuff in basement ;) Another crucail thing is to wrap the artifact with paper towels or rags before putting it in the vise so you ont leave marks in it, or if its too unstable for the vise i use a glove or pliers to hold it.

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

By the Way, Wheres conservator!?!? havent seen him in a while, hopes hes doin alright :-\

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee

I too use a dremel wire wheel on my unmentionables, and of course, it is much better thanwhat most consider a "wire wheel" in their heads when you mention it. But animal fat will get rancid over time and make your finds stink forever. I use lemon oil that I use on my furniture, the only drawback might be it's possibly acidic nature. But I would still never want to use an animal based product for the rancidity reasons.

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

Surprisingly it hasnt gone bad yet! I have some relics that are almost 2 years old and they still don't smell! And i just put enough on the relic to make it look darker and nicer :)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Crisco is vegetable based, you're thinking of lard. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread