Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit two Baltimore City parks today, one for 5 h and the other for 1.5 h; was actually more productive at the second site for early coins, but as you'll see there was one excellent old coin out of the first site.

Site #1 - hadn't been to this park since spring of this year, so I went to most of the places where I had success before. Lots of wheats and clad, one religious medal. Early into this hunt I dug a deep target and the first piece I fished out of the hole is what appears to be a leather button; this is pictured with the anchor button. The real target turned out to be an extremely well-preserved 1858 Flying Eagle cent; this is my first from this park and third overall, but it is in the best shape. So no IHCs but the eagle trumps the indians. Off to site #2.

Site #2 - I pretty much just stuck with searching the side of the walkway, an area that I'd been over numerous times before. I managed to dig three IHCs, all pretty rough (1881, 1883 and 1904). Last target dug was a V-nickel; it looked a lot better just out of the ground; last digit in the date is a "7".

All totaled, there were 12 wheats that ranged from 1918 to 1951. There were numerous holes or surface spills with two coins. Clad came to $2.95.
Finds.jpg

Upvote 35

williedigit

Oct 24, 2015
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and WHITES SILVER EAGLE also MINELAB 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit two Baltimore City parks today, one for 5 h and the other for 1.5 h; was actually more productive at the second site for early coins, but as you'll see there was one excellent old coin out of the first site.

Site #1 - hadn't been to this park since spring of this year, so I went to most of the places where I had success before. Lots of wheats and clad, one religious medal. Early into this hunt I dug a deep target and the first piece I fished out of the hole is what appears to be a leather button; this is pictured with the anchor button. The real target turned out to be an extremely well-preserved 1858 Flying Eagle cent; this is my first from this park and third overall, but it is in the best shape. So no IHCs but the eagle trumps the indians. Off to site #2.

Site #2 - I pretty much just stuck with searching the side of the walkway, an area that I'd been over numerous times before. I managed to dig three IHCs, all pretty rough (1881, 1883 and 1904). Last target dug was a V-nickel; it looked a lot better just out of the ground; last digit in the date is a "7".

All totaled, there were 12 wheats that ranged from 1918 to 1951. There were numerous holes or surface spills with two coins. Clad came to $2.95.
View attachment 1377228

Nice eagle one that I have not been able to catch yet

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on that Flying Eagle McCdig. Thats always a tough one to come across.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of finds. I found an anchor button exactly like that one about a month ago.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx L-D! Looked over the posts of 2016 and the Indian Head total is 86. I think that is about where I will end up.
It's been a good year for those and rings. Founds lots of wheats along the way. Hope to get out on Thursday this week and will probably end up in Bel Air.
Didn't post it but I got a 1920 S merc in the woods in Baltimore Co., this among the big iron I dug in the form of horse shoe pieces, a chain, large hinge, etc.
Last Friday I was back in the woods near where the dime turned up and found an arrow with a fixed broadhead point; ran into the hunter and returned it to him.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job my friend you deserve it Nice display case coin I will post my finds from my new site. Keep up the good work!!!!!!@

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx SC Shooter! Pretty amazing about that anchor button. I hope to find a button or two tomorrow when I head back to the woods.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your comment, Trezurehunter! It is the best 1800s coin I found that day. Just shows the good old stuff is that much harder to come by.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Bass! Had found some Indians in the past near this spot that produced the flying eagle. Really gridded the immediate area but no more eagles....no more nothin', but maybe after we get some rain things will sound different.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread