What's new

The Elusive Nickel

m bryan

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
691
Reaction score
50
Golden Thread
0
Location
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is your ratio for nickels compared to other coins? I find lots of clad pennies and dimes but very seldom nickels. I dont disc. them out........I understand that pennies and dimes are smaller and are easier lost but nickels are a rarity. I have found far more quarters than nickels. ..........on a side note, I found my oldest wheatie today, 1919.....
 
It's rare I Find alot of Nickels,
But certain sites seem to produce them Regularly.

I Think mostly sites that the rest has been Cherry Picked out
 
I find nickels much less than other coins. On my F75, a solid reading of 29-30 VDI will usually result in a nickel find, but, it has been wrong, ;D. The best I have ever done on nickels was 17 in one hunt of about 5 1/2 hours. I like finding nickels....has to be something to do with it being a thicker coin or something (I haven't found a half or dollar yet, :().
 
Nickels for the most part I think are used less than of all other coins. I use a coin sorter for my everyday change that I take out of my pockets and nickels will be the last to fill up. Pennies fill up 2x faster than any of the coins.

Most of the nickels I dig up are 20-30 years old and older. I'll find a newer nickel after every 4 or 5 that I dig.
 
19Blockhead64 said:
Nickels for the most part I think are used less than of all other coins.

I Don't get alot of nickels in change Either.

For some reason Most items don't come out
to a price where a Nickle is needed in return.

Pennies & Dimes seem to be most popular change
 
Pennies also seem to blend with the ground making it easier to lose.....
 
Last trip to the beach at OC Md. produced mostly nickels, When I thought about it I believe other THs on the beach have descriminated them out. They sit in that very small area between pulltabs and brass cartridges.
I descriminate only the screen.
​
 
With my first detector I usually had them discriminated out. With the DFX, I find them, but I have to go by the sound. I don't think there was that many nickels lost from what I find, but I probably pass over a lot of them.
 
For some reason I have found more nickels with my ACE250 than any other detector I have used. And that includes a couple of the "higher end" detectors I have owned. I guess it may be because I don't discriminate as much when using the ACE? Monty
 
Monty said:
For some reason I have found more nickels with my ACE250 than any other detector I have used. And that includes a couple of the "higher end" detectors I have owned. I guess it may be because I don't discriminate as much when using the ACE? Monty

I know why you find more with the Ace 250. You've learned your machines language. :icon_thumleft:
 
I often wonder about nickels myself. I find far less than any other coins with my BH Pioneer 101. It's very limited I guess as far as discrimination goes, but for now thats all I have. I probably pass over a lot of them because they sound too much like pull tabs and small bits of aluminum.
Yard Digger
 
I don't think it's as much as about knowing my ACE 250 as it is the location where I find most of the nickels. I check around public events sites that have outside or detached ticket booths such as athletic fields. But I have always found a lot more nickels in those areas with the ACE 250 than any of my other detectors. I remember when I first got the ACE and started learning it, I made a post here that it was a nickel magnet. Monty
 
the ace 2fiddy discrimination is set up to knock out iron up to the nickel...and above a nickel to a penny is knocked out.... that setting drives you nuts up here ....lots of nickel in the ground......or at least my is uncle is driven their any ways...I don't know a bout that detector....
 
When I got my Tejon, my nickle finds double maybe even tripled :hello2:. I can tell when I go to a park that who ever was there before me. Discriminated out pull tabs and nickles. I know then my chances of finding a ring is real good. I also have talked to others who discriminate out the zinc's. I have found silver rings in the zinc range also.
I found that I relied on the VDI reading, rather than letting my mind & ears do the deciding. Still love to use my XL Pro, but I just don't look at the Vdi :laughing7: I have to say the XL Pro is a quarter magnet ;D
 
6-7 % of my finds have been nickels. I record my finds on a spreedsheet and this has been my average over the last five years. :icon_sunny:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom