The Fake Producers Out to Get Your Beale Information

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are the man we have been looking for. How you been? Lay some Beale Expert info on us. Oops you may be a woman? What gender are you treasure1822 at least the date 1822 is right.

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
You are the man we have been looking for. How you been? Lay some Beale Expert info on us. Oops you may be a woman? What gender are you treasure1822 at least the date 1822 is right.

LOL! I am...
Specie: Human
SEX: Male
Proficiencies: undetermined

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! I am...
Specie: Human
SEX: Male
Proficiencies: undetermined

You being an expert on the Beale Treasure lay something on us.

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
Now, we wait...

Now I have to figure what to give without giving it away...let me ask you 3 questions if I could Reb and Franklin about John Sherman, how old was he in 1895 and did he buy the Daily Virginian from Charles W. Button and when? The only reason I ask you or Franklin is because you two have it as reflex knowledge. There is a reason for my questions...

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
John William Sherman was born in 1859 in Lynchburg, and was the Grandnephew of Pascal Buford of "BUFORD's", and cousin of Harriet Emmaline Otey, who was born and raised "4 miles from Buford's". Harriet married James Beverly Ward, copyright owner and publisher of the Beale Papers. He was a member of the LYNCHBURG THESPIAN's, along with Giles Ward, J B's father, and acted and wrote plays for that theatre group.
Sherman bought the LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN newspaper from Charles W Button (mostly on credit) in 1885 along with the VIRGINIA PRINT SHOP where he printed the Beale Papers dime novel pamphlet. In 1887, suspended the newspaper's publication and declared bankruptcy, and was sued by Button for money still owed from the purchase.
He then worked as a reporter for THE LYNCHBURG DAILY NEWS until 1912, and, due to mental illness, was committed to WESTERN STATE HOSPITAL in Staunton, Virginia by his wife, Anna Marie Helbig Sherman, in 1915, where he remained until his death, December 29, 1938.
Anna Sherman was the society contact for several Virginia newspapers, including the ROANOKE TIMES, which ran an "human interest story" on the Beale Papers by "J B Wade" 10 years after its publication in Lynchburg. She preceded John William in death, January 1, 1938.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
John William Sherman was born in 1859 in Lynchburg, and was the Grandnephew of Pascal Buford of "BUFORD's", and cousin of Harriet Emmaline Otey, who was born and raised "4 miles from Buford's". Harriet married James Beverly Ward, copyright owner and publisher of the Beale Papers. He was a member of the LYNCHBURG THESPIAN's, along with Giles Ward, J B's father, and acted and wrote plays for that theatre group.
Sherman bought the LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN newspaper from Charles W Button (mostly on credit) in 1885 along with the VIRGINIA PRINT SHOP where he printed the Beale Papers dime novel pamphlet. In 1887, suspended the newspaper's publication and declared bankruptcy, and was sued by Button for money still owed from the purchase.
He then worked as a reporter for THE LYNCHBURG DAILY NEWS until 1912, and, due to mental illness, was committed to WESTERN STATE HOSPITAL in Staunton, Virginia by his wife, Anna Marie Helbig Sherman, in 1915, where he remained until his death, December 29, 1938.
Anna Sherman was the society contact for several Virginia newspapers, including the ROANOKE TIMES, which ran an "human interest story" on the Beale Papers by "J B Wade" 10 years after its publication in Lynchburg. She preceded John William in death, January 1, 1938.
Correct! It was JWS & his brother... Button eventually bought it BACK! JWS was at WSH for BI-POLAR Disorder, and was buried in Roanoke, Virginia.

Last edited:

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
Thank you ECS and Rebel for the information, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Charles W. Buttons was the recipient of the Beale Papers from Morriss but for one purpose only...Circulation...Think about it, if someone was concerned about miss deeds in their past, soon to face ones maker, would you not try to redeem your soul? A true act of kindness must be done anonymously. The person who finds this treasure must do good work with it.

MATTHEW 6:1, 6:2, 6:3
1Be careful not to perform your righteous acts before men to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. 2So when you give to the needy, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be praised by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their reward. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,…

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
With all the references to the extended Risqué/Ward/Hutter/Buford extended family bloodlines found throughout the 1885 Beale Papers that was copyrighted and published by James Beverly Ward, I am very curious on how you reached this Charles W Button as the "unknown author" conclusion?

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
With all the references to the extended Risqué/Ward/Hutter/Buford extended family bloodlines found throughout the 1885 Beale Papers that was copyrighted and published by James Beverly Ward, I am very curious on how you reached this Charles W Button as the "unknown author" conclusion?

I never said that Charles W. Button was the author, I said he was the recipient of the papers from Morriss.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never said that Charles W. Button was the author, I said he was the recipient of the papers from Morriss.

There are a few problems with this "recipient" First, Robert Morris was not in Lynchburg, Va in 1862, when the papers were passed to the recipient. Charles W. Button would have had to go and see Robert Morris several times from Lynchburg to his bedside. The most likely candidate for the recipient of the papers from Morris would have been someone of the household of Anzoletta Saunders either her sons or a visiting Doctor or neighbor. Charles W. Button was none of these. It most likely had to be someone that was immediately between the Saunders and Ward homes? Charles W. Button would not have gotten out to Robert Morris' sick bedside so I believe the "recipient" was a Doctor. And I only know of one Doctor that lived in the area and he had two trips made to St. Louis, Mo. One by himself just a couple years before he passed away in 1873 and another in 1861 or 1862 by his elder brother.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

Whomever was the "unknown author" who received the "papers" from Robert Morriss was most likely another story device, as there exists any evidence outside of the Beale Papers that this actually occurred.
Anzoletta Saunders is NOT mentioned by name, only as "niece", as well as the "chosen agent", Ward, is alluded to, BUT NOT mentioned by name.

As with almost everything in the Beale story narrative, many events are alluded, even this "unknown author" giving Ward a finished manuscript to copyright and publish, but, as with much of the Beale Papers, there exists nothing outside of the dime novel pamphlet that can collaborate even this- that is why so much fill in speculation surrounds the discussion of the Beale Papers.

Reference: WAS THERE EVER AN "UNKNOWN AUTHOR" OF THE BEALE PAPERS ? thread.

Last edited:

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
Whomever was the "unknown author" who received the "papers" from Robert Morriss was most likely another story device, as there exists any evidence outside of the Beale Papers that this actually occurred.
Anzoletta Saunders is NOT mentioned by name, only as "niece", as well as the "chosen agent", Ward, is alluded to, BUT NOT mentioned by name.

As with almost everything in the Beale story narrative, many events are alluded, even this "unknown author" giving Ward a finished manuscript to copyright and publish, but, as with much of the Beale Papers, there exists nothing outside of the dime novel pamphlet that can collaborate even this that is why so much fill in speculation surrounds the discussion of the Beale Papers.

Reference: WAS THERE EVER AN "UNKNOWN AUTHOR" OF THE BEALE PAPERS ? thread.

It's like the old question, "Which came first the chicken or the egg"? Did Sherman first get the Beale Papers then start writing the "Dime store Novels" or "Vice versa"? So I pose this question, how many copy writes did J.B.Ward submit for the author and how many copy writes did Sherman have. Was the Beale Papers the only one with a copy write? This would tell me if someone else other the Sherman or Ward wrote it.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Actually the newspaper says "At the home of his niece, Mrs. David Saunders. The only niece, Mrs. David Saunders had to be Anzoletta. So it is not alluded to as you claim.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions