What's new

the great white north

existentiallettuce

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2009
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Random question here folks. Is there any way I could come by canadian or other foreign rolls in the states at or near cost? I have this pipe dream of searching canadian stuff for a thrill. My passport is out of date and its at least a three day drive from here unfortunately. Would a major metro area have currency exchange in bulk?
 
Upvote 0
I live in Michigan and find canadian coins all the time. Your not missing anything that ggreat, occasionally I'll find a silver one
 
I can imagine its not that great. I did however find an old george vi penny in a roll the other day. Kind of what id like to work on building, a full set of older canadian stuff.
 
What I wonder is if Canadian coinage, particularly dimes and quarters, will yield more silver than US, as their coins lack the copper strip on the side, which is the easiest way to differentiate between silver and everything else.
 
Ltrain said:
What I wonder is if Canadian coinage, particularly dimes and quarters, will yield more silver than US, as their coins lack the copper strip on the side, which is the easiest way to differentiate between silver and everything else.

Excellent point - I mean question!!! :icon_thumleft:
 
ill usually get anywhere from (usually 0) 0-3 canadians per box of dimes, and in the few thousand dollars ive done in dimes, some how ive gotten 2 silver canadians ('57 and '60-80% silver) dimes...so i would imagine its pretty plentiful, cuz ive probably gotten about a roll or 2 worth of canadian dimes in circ, 2 were the silver ones...although, a reasonable explanation fo that might be because normal canadians r magnetic and get pulled by counting machines, but silvers arent, so they get rolled w/ our copper coins...just a theory. keep it up and hh!
PS it too has always been a dream of mine to search canadian dimes and quarters.
 
CHAINCHOMP said:
ill usually get anywhere from (usually 0) 0-3 canadians per box of dimes, and in the few thousand dollars ive done in dimes, some how ive gotten 2 silver canadians ('57 and '60-80% silver) dimes...so i would imagine its pretty plentiful, cuz ive probably gotten about a roll or 2 worth of canadian dimes in circ, 2 were the silver ones...although, a reasonable explanation fo that might be because normal canadians r magnetic and get pulled by counting machines, but silvers arent, so they get rolled w/ our copper coins...just a theory. keep it up and hh!
PS it too has always been a dream of mine to search canadian dimes and quarters.

My experiences are similar. I've done north of like, $25k in dimes, and I've found about 8 silver Canadian dimes. I agree with your theory... the steel ones get pulled by magnets, the silvers make it in... that's why you'll rarely find a non-silver Canadian coin besides the cents and nickels in a machine roll.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom