The Hunt for Pedros Camp

Likely Guy

The Hunt for Pedro's Camp

A year ago I found an online map of the local area from 1885 by Amos Bowman (members from Skagit County, WA may be familiar with that name) that showed a mining camp called 'Pedro Camp'. Further research revealed that the camp was large enough to still be located on pre-emption maps from 1917 and that Pedro was a South American miner who mined here before lighting it out for the Klondike in the 1890's.

'X' marks the spot right? (See map below, good detail, good scale.)

Two weeks ago I went out with three friends (including another member, Drache) and our three dogs to try and find some sign of the camp (especially a bottle dump). Well, immediately after our 3 1/2 hour hike we realized that we missed the right spot by about a mile. (Dumb me :icon_scratch:)

My dog Chance wasn't too impressed. (2nd photo)

Undeterred, we set off last weekend with another friend and his dog (now making nine of us in total). This time we found the right general location but after two hours of bushwacking and being eaten alive by mosquitoes we decided to call it a day.

The only real thing we found was a ditch line that we followed for a while (last photo, the blonde smudge in the middle is Chance's butt) and a tin can that must of washed down from the camp.

We're going back next weekend so wish us luck. This time we're bringing bug dope. :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• mirage4a299a7b43558.jpg
    mirage4a299a7b43558.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 569
  • dscf3228s.jpg
    dscf3228s.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 569
  • dscf3226j.jpg
    dscf3226j.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 553
Re: The Hunt for Pedro's Camp

I'm eagerly awaiting news of your search! Have you tried again? I'd love to go for a dig with you if I make it to the Cariboo.

Re: The Hunt for Pedro's Camp

Hey Slocan, nice to hear from a 'local'...

Further research revealed that in 1887 there was a 'Pedro' Barre that listed himself as a packer on a petition for a constable at 150 Mile House. My theory is now that Pedro had a packer's camp at that location on the trail, when he was hired by Amos Bowman.

Unfortunately, packer's camps (unlike mining camps) never left much of a footprint, and we don't think that we could find the same locale 110 years later.

If you can come up, we're digging at Quesnel Forks all summer and fall, our local ghost town. Digging and sifting, digging and sifting, etc. (This is restoration work, and everything found goes to the museum.) Volunteers are encouraged. :icon_thumright:

In ten days, so far we found; 2 glass stoppers (1 Lea & Perrins), 1 Chinese coin (date to be determined), 1 Chinese medicine vial (not opium as so many say), various pieces of brass opium packs, 1 1920 Canadian Dime, large fragments of a cobalt blue nutmeg jar (mostly whole), 2 ebony dominoes, 1 bullet lighter, numerous fragments of Chinese bowls and Sam Suey jugs, as well as the ubiquitous piles of broken bottle glass, wires, bone and square 'cut' nails.

The best we found: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,256042.0.html

Give me a personal message if you're coming up this way.

-Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back