The Iceberg story- updated 2/23/07

Re: Iceberg gives up my first silver of 2007

Nice finds guys . Where at in ohio are you ? I'm just under toledo .

Re: 117 wheats at Iceberg - new personal best

That's right, romeo, thanks.

coinman66 said:
With all the wheat pennies you guys have found, have any of you found any key or semi-key dates. I found a 1915-s and a 1910-s at a park long time ago. Just wondering? As alaways you guys have one hot spot there. keep swingin there! Thanks for your time. Coinman66

As far as I'm aware, none of the wheats have been exceptional, that is, listed over a buck or so in G-4 in the Redbook. Perhaps somewhat surprising. It would be nice though.

mlw67 said:
That deserves a new word: swheatness
;D ;D

Thanks guys!

Nice job!

HH
-GC

That's what I call a great day. CONGRATS

Wow what a day. Was it a penny arcade or something?

Nice haul~

HH

That's awesome Nate and congrats on the Wheatie count! I'm surprised there are not more IHs coming out of the site as you all have found some nice early 1900 coins. HH, Mike

cheese said:
Hey Dan, I went through the abcess thing a few months ago, then had a root canal. I had to bear with the abcess for a few days until the antibiotics kicked in. The dentist told me to take 2 ibuprofens and 2 tylenols at the same time, to get basically the same effect as (I think it was coedine?). Anyway, I was skeptical and she wrote me a prescription for pain meds in case I needed them. I tried the ibuprofen/tylenol and it worked! I never had to take the prescription. It seemed to work a good while, but if I waited for the tooth to show signs of hurting before taking the next dose, it would hurt a while before the dose kicked in. I learned to take it every 4 hours whether I felt the tooth or not. That darn abcess was miserable pain like I've never felt before. Maybe this will help? I'm no doctor, but I know I'd have tried nearly anything to relieve the pain. I nearly messed up my gums with cotton balls soaked with Crown Royal before I got to the dentist (sounds funny, but it worked waaaaay better than oragel). After the pain from the tooth was gone, I had sore peeling gums to deal with.

Thanks for the meds advice Cheese. I tried the mixed ibuprofen/Tylenol thing and it worked pretty well. I'm waiting for the dentist to call me back now to get me in there and get it fixed.

Ohio_Jason said:
Nice finds guys . Where at in ohio are you ? I'm just under toledo .

We're all from the Cleveland area Jason.

Nice finds Dan and congrats on the first silver of the year, that Iceberg is a great place to hunt! Hope you got that tooth fixed and HH, Mike

Bavaria Mike said:
Nice finds Dan and congrats on the first silver of the year, that Iceberg is a great place to hunt! Hope you got that tooth fixed and HH, Mike

Sorry I didn't see this and respond earlier Mike...yeah, the tooth's fine now (something lodged deep under the gumline and the gums became infected).

We were thinking about hitting the Berg again tomorrow (1/20) but something new is on the horizon. I just secured permission to hunt a camp area that is private and has been used since 1818 and is still active!! Look our for future posts on this spot. Mirage and I are driving there to scout it out tomorrow (2 hr drive each way)

Re: The Iceberg story- modified 1/11/07

Wow, I just got caught up from all the finds since my first post and slobbered all over myself....
Hope I didn't miss the answer to this already, but did the frozen ground finally shut down the berg until spring?
Congrats, you guys. You rock!
HH,
Bob

HobBob said:
Wow, I just got caught up from all the finds since my first post and slobbered all over myself....
Hope I didn't miss the answer to this already, but did the frozen ground finally shut down the berg until spring?
Congrats, you guys. You rock!
HH,
Bob

Nah..the Wheatfields area is REAL deep soft loamy soil and would be easy digging, especially after scraping off the snow insullting it. We just have to go and meet the groundskeeper to this new spot and make aquaintences. That way when the weather breaks we'll already be buds with him and pretty much have unlimited access (my plan!)
This new spot HAS to have Seated/Largies in the ground due to it's age and useage. If we don't pull at least an IH from there tomorrow I'd be surprised.
The Berg is going nowhere. It'll be there waiting (translate: it'll be there Sunday because if this new spot doesn't satisfy the jones, I'll be back out Sunday ;D)

Yesterday, Nate and I headed out to the ‘Berg. It had been in the twenties the few days prior to Saturday so some spots were frozen up to about an inch. Places that had adequate leaf cover required no chiseling but the other spots required a little force to break through. Overall we had a decent day. Lots of wheat pennies and a few silver. It was funny because I told Nate that it reminded me of fishing – coming home with 129 wheat pennies after being out in the cold and wind for 6 hours, I really didn’t feel like cleaning the coins. So I waited until today. Upon cleaning I was happy to find a 1909 VDB. Not really a key date but still a fun find.

Bob

Attachments

• Iceberg Jan27 2007 800.jpg
    Iceberg Jan27 2007 800.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 1,239

Heres' my haul from Saturday...78 wheats (oldest 1910) with the 2 silver Rosies (53, 59). I found everything with the White's Classic 3 yesterday; it did okay...hopefully I'll have my DFX back in a few days.

Jan28B.jpg

Jan28A.jpg

I like Nate's photo arrangement...almost looks like an "infinity" sign...denoting the seemingless endless quantity of wheat pennies at this site!

Re: The Iceberg story- updated 1/29/07

Marbles, the crushed lords prayer, the abundance of coins, and also the star token, i have a bunch of them, and your in ohio. Sounds like an old amusement park to me. I had a butt load of that stuff at the old amusement park i used to hunt at. I think there is an old amusement park in your area, isn't there? I can't seem to remember the name though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back