The Largest Treasure Hoard in History....

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If the sisters story is to be believed (which I personally find credible and a plausible explanation for the whole legend) then digging further is pointless. We know that they know about the alleged coins and gold nugget that descendants also have and is claimed from the original finders, in that the blockhouse blog article tells us the Laginas know this story. The article tells us they made the descendants sign a non disclosure agreement about these items previously (which must mean the Laginas paid them). Why have they never mentioned them or seek to show us them. That is dishonest on their part because it would make selling their TV show much more difficult.

Even if they believe these people are all lying (or have been deceived themselves) they should of investigated the story and shared it.

People should be careful who they call dishonest or liars on an open forum! Also not everything one reads is true!

Cheers, Loki

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are tons of stories out there apparently, and they all can't be true.
Yep... Agree with you there.. But they drove 100s of miles to visit FDR library to chase the lead of Mary Antoinette jewels.. They could of at least done the viewers the courtesy of investigating the descendants story. They are the ones that have brought it up....

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People should be careful who they call dishonest or liars on an open forum! Also not everything one reads is true!
I did not call anyone a liar.. But do believe not disclosing information to the viewers to spin there story is dishonest...

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
If you think about it, have the Lag bros done anything for research? I see them buying their way into this hunt and then just reviewing what others, like Dan B, have spent years researching, digging and speculating on. The show pays for "experts" to come on and do more research. If you saw the show when they went to the FDR library, Rick and Alex looked like they have never looked anything up at the library or on the internet.
I wonder if they tried to buy Nolan's research as well as it looked like he had a TON of info. Like the basement full of files Dan had.
They just hem and haw over what people present to them... I don't think they ever did anything more than read the Reader Digest story and maybe they didn't even do that. They probably were read it as a bed time story.

Apparently they haven't done any research because when they want to drill the "cans" into suspected money pit spots they all of the sudden "discovered" records in Dan's basement showing the approximate location of the money pit. How can you discover research that is already in a file owned by a treasure hunter that is on your own team? WTF?? Shouldn't that have been something they looked at several years ago before they started throwing money at the hole?? I'm just sayin'....

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that my have been for us, more so then them... It is a TV show.. They wanted to show us why they were digging where they dug to not come across as just picking a spot at random...

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Keep in mind that my have been for us, more so then them... It is a TV show.. They wanted to show us why they were digging where they dug to not come across as just picking a spot at random...

It could have been but they've been on the island for what, 9 years? and they are just getting around to looking in Dan's research? Or showing it 4 years after the show started? I understand the production company is going to do what they will but four years into the program and the show is making it look like they just now "discovered" this information in Dan's research. If I were the Lagina's I would be a little pissed about that if they had that information years ago. It makes them look stupid.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Apparently they haven't done any research because when they want to drill the "cans" into suspected money pit spots they all of the sudden "discovered" records in Dan's basement showing the approximate location of the money pit. How can you discover research that is already in a file owned by a treasure hunter that is on your own team? WTF?? Shouldn't that have been something they looked at several years ago before they started throwing money at the hole?? I'm just sayin'....

You get it! I am glad that we have others that see this as well. If it just the way they want to be portrayed, or really dumb production, let us know cause some of us here think you bros are bonkers!!!

Some posters cry when you make fun of the bros or the show... boo hoo. Well its real easy because you show dumb stuff, dumb leads, dumb theories and lie to us about data we are looking at on the show!!!

I guess in the long run it comes down to how do you stretch 5 seasons out of a show that could have been a 3 part mini series?

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no way of knowing just like ya'll don't either but I'd bet alittle money that Dan showed them everything or gave them access to everything he had either before they bought into his land rights or right after... Marty seems to be pretty smart for the most part and would have wanted to know what they were getting into before plopping down 7 million dollars... I'll give you that he does act like he is ready to pull out at times but then seems to be really interested at times...
Also in years past they have asked Dan where he thinks the money pit is when they have all been out there on the land, and he has pointed out an area. I'd imagine he used his maps to come to that conclusion for his spot.. Plus based off his 10x hole he was planning to use to tunnel over to the money pit. He had in his mind where he thought it was atleast..

Last edited:

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
I have no way of knowing just like ya'll don't either but I'd bet alittle money that Dan showed them everything or gave them access to everything he had either before they bought into his land rights or right after... Marty seems to be pretty smart for the most part and would have wanted to know what they were getting into before plopping down 7 million dollars... I'll give you that he does act like he is ready to pull out at times but then seems to be really interested at times...
Also in years past they have asked Dan where he thinks the money pit is when they have all been out there on the land, and he has pointed out an area. I'd imagine he used his maps to come to that conclusion for his spot.. Plus based off his 10x hole he was planning to use to tunnel over to the money pit. He had in his mind where he thought it was atleast..

I would agree with you, Marty didn't get the money he has by doing things ass backwards but, from a logical standpoint, the Laginas should have renegotiated their contract to have a little more say in how the show was produced if it is because of the production company. I would be curious how much they actually get done in a season. It could be that the History Channel didn't think the show would go this long so now they are just filling all kinds of crap to fill time and stretch it out even more.

The bad thing about that is how it makes the brothers look. They can't be that scatter brained to drain the swamp multiple times and move from here to there to there again and back. That costs a lot of time and money. Like you said, Marty seems to be pretty smart and so does Tester. I don't see them going back and forth getting permits 2-3 times and draining, digging, moving and drilling but..... That's on the production company and the Laginas for letting them do it.

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, how about this theory: They discovered the treasure 3 years ago and it was worth tens of millions of dollars so, they all decided to spend some of it by dragging out the show by drilling all over the place. So the show would be financed by the advertisers and the group sharing the treasure. This way, with the contracts in hand for a few more seasons, they could bring in millions more.

There are a lot of theories floating around and I just wanted to add mine to the mix.

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, how about this theory: They discovered the treasure 3 years ago and it was worth tens of millions of dollars so, they all decided to spend some of it by dragging out the show by drilling all over the place. So the show would be financed by the advertisers and the group sharing the treasure. This way, with the contracts in hand for a few more seasons, they could bring in millions more.

There are a lot of theories floating around and I just wanted to add mine to the mix.

It's a good one !

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
I would agree with you, Marty didn't get the money he has by doing things ass backwards but, from a logical standpoint, the Laginas should have renegotiated their contract to have a little more say in how the show was produced if it is because of the production company. I would be curious how much they actually get done in a season. It could be that the History Channel didn't think the show would go this long so now they are just filling all kinds of crap to fill time and stretch it out even more.

The bad thing about that is how it makes the brothers look. They can't be that scatter brained to drain the swamp multiple times and move from here to there to there again and back. That costs a lot of time and money. Like you said, Marty seems to be pretty smart and so does Tester. I don't see them going back and forth getting permits 2-3 times and draining, digging, moving and drilling but..... That's on the production company and the Laginas for letting them do it.

Don't forget it's Canada’s 150th anniversary and more money for financing the project this year ! And if the history change ...

Dbuck

Greenie
Jan 1, 2017
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I have said before.. It is subject to debate whether Dan and Fred have 'wasted their lives pursuing a treasure that does not exist' or have had 'full and meaning full lives pursuing their dream'... With the laginas I get the feeling this has always been Rick's dream and Little brother Marty has just been dragged along for the ride. Initally to finace his big brothers dream but also to bring th business sense to turn the whole thing into a reality tv show and make a profit on the endeavor or at least mitigate the losses...

The question though can be legitimately asked if they still believe that treasure is there? (or has ever been there?). They present the Descendants claim of the original finders of the pit taking the treasure but never investigate it. Does this mean they do not believe the sisters or that they do believe them and are just spinning on the show to make some more money. It cannot be both. No one can really believe that the treasure hiders hid a motherload of treasure at 170+ foot and then put three chests at 20 foot to make anyone digging the hole think hey this must be the treasure so I will give up.

If the sisters story is to be believed (which I personally find credible and a plausible explanation for the whole legend) then digging further is pointless. We know that they know about the alleged coins and gold nugget that descendants also have and is claimed from the original finders, in that the blockhouse blog article tells us the Laginas know this story. The article tells us they made the descendants sign a non disclosure agreement about these items previously (which must mean the Laginas paid them). Why have they never mentioned them or seek to show us them. That is dishonest on their part because it would make selling their TV show much more difficult.

The Blockhouse Blog - The Oak Island Compendium

Even if they believe these people are all lying (or have been deceived themselves) they should of investigated the story and shared it.

I am happy they are investigating a story that has fascinated me since childhood but am disappointed that they are not trying to really answer the mystery now they are simply seeking to make money selling the show and spinning it off for a 5th season... We also know that 5 seasons were approved (sasquash posted about this a long time ago) much earlier which also suggests they never wanted to find treasure before they had milked all 5 seasons.

I love the legend but do not like being lied too...

I personally believe they have researched the sisters story as much as possible and still believe a treasure exists. The brothers are much more intelligent than people are giving them credit for. The show only shows a small percentage of the research they have done. People seem to forget that the show is being edited by the history channel. I really doubt the Lagina brothers have the time to review what gets on the show. We should be happy the show exists. Otherwise the brothers would continue searching, and we would have no means of hearing about their progress. Also, I am sure they still believe there is treasure to be found and a mystery to be solved. These are successful businessmen that are taking time away from their real work to try to find some answers. There is no way they would sacrifice time and dollars on this if they didn't believe. I know the show is currently financing a lot of the search, but if the show ends they will still continue on if only on a smaller scale.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally believe they have researched the sisters story as much as possible and still believe a treasure exists. The brothers are much more intelligent than people are giving them credit for. The show only shows a small percentage of the research they have done. People seem to forget that the show is being edited by the history channel. I really doubt the Lagina brothers have the time to review what gets on the show. We should be happy the show exists. Otherwise the brothers would continue searching, and we would have no means of hearing about their progress. Also, I am sure they still believe there is treasure to be found and a mystery to be solved. These are successful businessmen that are taking time away from their real work to try to find some answers. There is no way they would sacrifice time and dollars on this if they didn't believe. I know the show is currently financing a lot of the search, but if the show ends they will still continue on if only on a smaller scale.
I don't know about that.. Firstly up until the end of this season I would of mostly agreed with you. But this spinning of the show into a 5th season rather than answering questions which they have answers for stinks in my view. They raised the cross. Why are they not willing to tell us what there 'research' shows. One reason only they are keeping it for the next season.

They have drained the swamp.. found nothing
They have done everything possible to 10X found nothing
They have dug 4 holes into 'the pit' and found only remnants of previous searchers efforts...

What else is there left to do?

As for the sacrifice. I get the impression that Marty only flies down occasionally and Rick is the one who spends his summer there. Marty has a business to run. It seems Rick is full time OI. He has seen his wealth increase over the course of the series. He is making money from the show (Marty is reportedly worth over $100 million). I do not think they are spending there own money any longer. The effort is being paid by sponsors, history channel and the Canadian Government. Rick is making his living now being employed by the show. This is why Rick wants a 5th season. He will get 'treasure' no matter what is found.

They should give the answers if they have them (re things they have found / raised). Just to spin it off for another season is poor.....

The only thing left for them to do is remove the metal pipes they have put in the ground and freeze the ground to dig the area properly....

Dbuck

Greenie
Jan 1, 2017
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O
I don't know about that.. Firstly up until the end of this season I would of mostly agreed with you. But this spinning of the show into a 5th season rather than answering questions which they have answers for stinks in my view. They raised the cross. Why are they not willing to tell us what there 'research' shows. One reason only they are keeping it for the next season.

They have drained the swamp.. found nothing
They have done everything possible to 10X found nothing
They have dug 4 holes into 'the pit' and found only remnants of previous searchers efforts...

What else is there left to do?

As for the sacrifice. I get the impression that Marty only flies down occasionally and Rick is the one who spends his summer there. Marty has a business to run. It seems Rick is full time OI. He has seen his wealth increase over the course of the series. He is making money from the show (Marty is reportedly worth over $100 million). I do not think they are spending there own money any longer. The effort is being paid by sponsors, history channel and the Canadian Government. Rick is making his living now being employed by the show. This is why Rick wants a 5th season. He will get 'treasure' no matter what is found.

They should give the answers if they have them (re things they have found / raised). Just to spin it off for another season is poor.....

The only thing left for them to do is remove the metal pipes they have put in the ground and freeze the ground to dig the area properly....
From what I have heard, there is no guarantee of a fifth season. We will have to see. I also heard the Laginas are not that interested in another season with the history channel. It takes up a lot of their time. I also don't believe they are making as much money as you think. Those holes they dug are not cheap. Also we can't forget how much money they spent buying the land to begin with. I think we need to wait for dating on the materials that came up from the last dig. That's a big assumption believing that they are all from other past searchers. I don't understand why you feel they owe us answers about what their research divulged. They may not choose to put all their results out there. I'm just happy that I get to see some of their progress. I'm on the Oak Island group on Facebook. People are extremely excited about the possibility of another season of the show. I'm guessing that it will happen if the History channel thinks the high viewer ratings will continue. Either way, I'm sure the brothers will be digging again this summer with or without the cameras. I do like the idea of the ground freezing method. Sounds expensive but effective!

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo

What is the motivation here? Producing a treasure, or looking for one? If a treasure is recovered, the game (and money) is over. This is a show based on the expectation of a product, but not the promise of one. Follow the money.

It's kind of a neat summation of the whole Money Pit story, now that I think about it.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also we can't forget how much money they spent buying the land to begin with.
The land is an asset.. They can sell it later and get the money back..

I think we need to wait for dating on the materials that came up from the last dig. That's a big assumption believing that they are all from other past searchers.
I think the big assumption would be that they are not from past searchers... The most likely explanation for the material is past searchers I would think...

I do like the idea of the ground freezing method. Sounds expensive but effective!
Yep... It is extremely effective. I live in Hong Kong it is what they do when they have a water problem when digging the underground rail systems. Basically you put down refrigeration pipes/liquid nitrogen (or something like that) the entire area around where you want to dig is frozen. Water problem is eliminated.

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the looks of that everybody that has been on the show has been listed as a producer at one time or another.. Haha!!! Even all the kids etc... I'd imigane that only means they had some input as to what is shown or how it's shown but not total control of the show/episode..Also a way for them all to get a bigger paycheck..

Last edited:

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For those who wonder what role the Laginas and the other residents of Oak island, this is your answer. The Laginas were executive producers for six episodes 2015-2016. They know exactly what is going on before it goes "into the can".

The Curse of Oak Island (TV Series 2014? ) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb

An executive producer is nothing more than just a title, given usually to people that have some financial interest in the show, or allowed them to film on their property, or etc. It means nothing at all really but it does sound important, which is the point. Sometimes a director will name his wife/girlfriend executive producer...but usually not both at the same time, ha ha.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions