Matt, sorry I fell off through email way back when. Anyways, I'm going to head back up Twilight Creek late-July/early-August, so I'm starting to plan things now, and I'm trying to think this through a little more.
I love what everyone's done in the Treasure Mtn thread. I'm certain it's a hoax, but the French/Spanish research is still great. With that in mind, what are some research angles to pursue with the Carson legend? What comes to my mind is: when the shepherd Juan Quintana found Carson's vein, exactly where were his sheep grazing? The story says he worked for a McCormick, so are there records of a McCormick rancher grazing along Twilight Creek?
Granted, there weren't National Forest grazing permits back then, but I wonder if modern-day permit ownership can be traced back to who grazed where at the turn of the century. This might show McCormick grazing Twilight Creek, "X" grazing the Cascade Creek drainage, "Y" grazing the Crater Creek drainage, etc. I'm almost certain that the ranchers of the day generally respected each other's grazing areas, and they would've gone back to the same place year after year. How would I go about finding out that info?
Also, I found Levi's 1880 census record (if it is indeed him), and it shows him having five or six kids. I have to wonder if any pertinent details to Levi's gold have passed down through the generations and are still told around the dinner table.