The mysterious death of Adolph Ruth

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
UTV and 4 wheelers with high ground clearances are still able to get all the way to the trailhead. Saw a jeep last time I was out there. I did see a big rock stained with transmission oil though, so I guess it's not guaranteed.

it has been about 30 years since i drove in there and it was rough going then....but passable with 4wd...sure cuts alot of time off your hike if you can drive to the trailhead

i am the horse

Apr 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lots of interesting stuff being thrown out here. thanks for sharing. apologies for my other post. i just get upset that you all have your clicks and i couldnt get one person on here to go to an area with me. i hike fine, i just dont like going by myself incase something happens is all.anyways, its probably for the better. ive pretty much come to the conclusion that it takes too much effort to figure it all out. but i have learned alot that i wish i could forget,if that makes sense.anyways thanks for sharin alot of the stuff on this thread. the letters were pretty cool to read.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Here is a topic post by Dr. Glover:

TEGlover
user-offline.png
junior.gif

Jan 2013

145 times

All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Jim Bark on Adolph Ruth

Gentlemen,

As there has been some discussion as to just where Adolph Ruth stayed I thought the below might be of intrest.

I've been doing some filing waiting for a delivery and I came across the six page document that Jim Bark wrote in 1931 about what he had discovered about Adolph Ruth from a trip(s) to Arizona. Jim was living in Southern California at the time. The start of the letter is below. I have posted it as it has new tid-bit or two, and it sheds light on just where Ruth was headed, and where it seems he stayed.

"Oct. 1931

This is the story of Ruth as far as I have dug the facts to date.

Ruth came to the Half Circle-U ranch situated on the south side of the Superstition Mts. in Pinal County, Arizona. On may 10th 1931. A man by the name of Mc Knight had driven the car with he and Ruth in it from Washington D. C. to the Cal Morris filling station at the junction of the Florence and Superior highways, about twenty miles south of the U Ranch. McKnight said that he could not go any further, as he did not know where the Superstition Mountains were. Much less where there was any camping place, or any roads leading from the main highway . Morris said he knew where the U ranch house was, and he thought Ruth could camp there. As all trails leading over into the Superstitions Mts. started from the Ranch. Ruth asked Morris if he would drive him to the house. Morris said he would and McKnight continued on his way to the state of Washington wither he was bound. It appeared that while Ruth owned the car, he could not drive it. ...."

TE Glover​

You, deducer, Oroblanco and 2 others like this.

That makes two, I believe, opposing stories. In this case, Dr. Glover has provided the contents of a letter said to have been written by Jim Bark. I have found Dr. Glover's research to be one of the best in the (LDM) business. It's hard to dismiss a written account from someone who was there. At this point, it would seem that someone is not telling the true story......something we have suspected for many years now.

I'm not sure that Jim Bark was ever known as a liar and Tom Kollenborn has mentioned his belief in the man many times to me. He has also written that publically a number of times. It always helps to consider the reputation of the man telling the story and I have no problem with the reputations of Dr. Glover and Tom Kollenborn, nor the reputation of Matthew Roberts.

On the other hand, I have no doubts that Matthew has verifiable documents for his story. We will all need to decide for ourselves. I will stick with my friends opinions for now.

Adolph Ruth remains a tangled web.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
deducer,

How else can you speak, other than in general terms when there is so little hard factual evidence? I have said, more than once, that I happen to believe Matthew's story. One newspaper article stating that Ruth stayed at the Morse Ranch once in 1931, is hardly overwhelming evidence for the rest of the story. Wouldn't you agree?

Circumstantially, the fact that the true story was covered up, makes one wonder if someone was being protected. You have Ruth coming to the Morse Ranch, being taken into the mountains by Morse employees, and Morse being an avid Dutch Hunter. That should, at the least, make for quite an investigation into those connected dots.

Good luck,

Joe

As cw0909 has noted above, there are further documentations within Garry's excellent website that verify additional claims in Matthew's story and strengthen the tie between Ruth and Cal Morse.

On the other hand, there is no documentation that I'm aware of that Ruth stayed at the Barkley ranch. Only that the Barkley ranch was his starting point.

And also no proof that Willow Spring was where Ruth kept camp. He may have camped there at one point, but I don't believe it was where "he last camped."

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
lots of interesting stuff being thrown out here. thanks for sharing. apologies for my other post. i just get upset that you all have your clicks and i couldnt get one person on here to go to an area with me. i hike fine, i just dont like going by myself incase something happens is all.anyways, its probably for the better. ive pretty much come to the conclusion that it takes too much effort to figure it all out. but i have learned alot that i wish i could forget,if that makes sense.anyways thanks for sharin alot of the stuff on this thread. the letters were pretty cool to read.

show up at the rendezvous in october...you might find someone to go hiking with there

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

TEGlover
user-offline.png
junior.gif

Jan 2013

145 times

Jim Bark on Adolph Ruth

Gentlemen,

As there has been some discussion as to just where Adolph Ruth stayed I thought the below might be of intrest.

I've been doing some filing waiting for a delivery and I came across the six page document that Jim Bark wrote in 1931 about what he had discovered about Adolph Ruth from a trip(s) to Arizona. Jim was living in Southern California at the time. The start of the letter is below. I have posted it as it has new tid-bit or two, and it sheds light on just where Ruth was headed, and where it seems he stayed.

"Oct. 1931

Ruth came to the Half Circle-U ranch situated on the south side of the Superstition Mts. in Pinal County, Arizona. On may 10th 1931. A man by the name of Mc Knight had driven the car with he and Ruth in it from Washington D. C. to the Cal Morris filling station at the junction of the Florence and Superior highways, about twenty miles south of the U Ranch. McKnight said that he could not go any further, as he did not know where the Superstition Mountains were. Much less where there was any camping place, or any roads leading from the main highway . Morris said he knew where the U ranch house was, and he thought Ruth could camp there. As all trails leading over into the Superstitions Mts. started from the Ranch. Ruth asked Morris if he would drive him to the house. Morris said he would and McKnight continued on his way to the state of Washington wither he was bound. It appeared that while Ruth owned the car, he could not drive it. ...."

TE Glover​

That makes two, I believe, opposing stories. In this case, Dr. Glover has provided the contents of a letter said to have been written by Jim Bark. I have found Dr. Glover's research to be one of the best in the (LDM) business. It's hard to dismiss a written account from someone who was there. At this point, it would seem that someone is not telling the true story......something we have suspected for many years now.

I'm not sure that Jim Bark was ever known as a liar and Tom Kollenborn has mentioned his belief in the man many times to me. He has also written that publically a number of times. It always helps to consider the reputation of the man telling the story and I have no problem with the reputations of Dr. Glover and Tom Kollenborn, nor the reputation of Matthew Roberts.

On the other hand, I have no doubts that Matthew has verifiable documents for his story. We will all need to decide for ourselves. I will stick with my friends opinions for now.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

I have no reason to believe that Bark is lying or misleading.

But perhaps he was mistaken or did not remember correctly?

Also within what he wrote, it does not explicitly state that Ruth was going to stay at the Barkley ranch, only that he wanted to check it out and possibly camp there. Two very different things.

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008

TEGlover
user-offline.png
junior.gif

Jan 2013

145 times

Jim Bark on Adolph Ruth
Gentlemen,

"Oct. 1931

TE Glover​

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

according to this the morris filling station was located at florence junction...has anyone done research to find out where his filling station really was?,,,he might have had more than one station?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
show up at the rendezvous in october...you might find someone to go hiking with there

I am the horse,

Dave's suggestion it a really good one. It's what the Rendezvous was conceived for, and it's worked to perfection for many years now. Old friendships have been renewed, old enemies have become close friends and any number of new friendships and partnerships have been born in the Rendezvous.

It's difficult for many Dutch Hunters to agree to hiking into the mountains with people they have never met. Nothing creates solid friendships, or distrust, faster than sitting across the campfire and exchanging ideas with someone.

You will be welcomed into the Rendezvous and should find willing, like minded, new friends.

Hope to see you there.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Dave,

You, as well as many others have been a friend and supporter of myself and the Rendezvous for many years now. I hope none of you have thought that it has gone unnoticed or unappreciated. You folks have been the lifeblood of the event and created many treasured memories. Greg Davis has been there since day one, along with a number of others. Greg's help with the Don's has been invaluable.

Take care,

Joe

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Dave,

You, as well as many others have been a friend and supporter of myself and the Rendezvous for many years now. I hope none of you have thought that it has gone unnoticed or unappreciated. You folks have been the lifeblood of the event and created many treasured memories. Greg Davis has been there since day one, along with a number of others. Greg's help with the Don's has been invaluable.

Take care,

Joe

joe...i'd say we are all grateful to you for getting the rendezvous organized and making a success of it...i think it is something that will be here for years to come

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008

deducer...i have seen that pic before but i could not make out what it said on the sign....maybe someone has a good photoshop program and can use it to make out what it says...i'm pretty sure there has always been a gas station at florence junction....i just never knew the history of ownership...matter of fact there was still a gas station there up until they changed the course of the highway and bypassed the station a few years back

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deducer...i have seen that pic before but i could not make out what it said on the sign....maybe someone has a good photoshop program and can use it to make out what it says...i'm pretty sure there has always been a gas station at florence junction....i just never knew the history of ownership...matter of fact there was still a gas station there up until they changed the course of the highway and bypassed the station a few years back

The round sign to the right of the service station says "Red Crown Gasoline" The main sign on the front of the building says "Sunkist Service Station" - there is also something above where the car is parked to the right but I can't make out what that says :(

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
The round sign to the right of the service station says "Red Crown Gasoline" The main sign on the front of the building says "Sunkist Service Station" - there is also something above where the car is parked to the right but I can't make out what that says :(

Paul,

Good job. At first I thought it said SUNWEST, but I think Sunkist is more likely.

Hope all is well.

Take care,

Joe

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Paul,

Good job. At first I thought it said SUNWEST, but I think Sunkist is more likely.

Hope all is well.

Take care,

Joe

this is writing on the building and all i can read is service station,,,,the name of the station is there but i cant read it

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
That one is probably the best shot, and someone should be able to take a run out there for a new photo from the same spot, with the same background/skyline.
Any takers ?
Otherwise, I'll do it next time I'm in the neighborhood.

Regards:SH.

that shot was taken from the west as your coming into florence junction..you can see mineral mountain just to the left of the texaco sign

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread