the non "mickey mouse" look. non nerdy headphone solution

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
the non "mickey mouse" look. non nerdy headphone solution

living in a big city (read as CRIME), i never used headphones with my detectors. its unsafe and in my opinion makes you look like an even bigger nerd. having read all about the benefits of using headphones i decided to come up with a compromise that i figured i'd share with you guys.

i'm a ham radio operator. sometimes we want to hear the audio on our portable radios without bothering the rest of the world and without compromising our safety by completely shutting out the outside world.

my solution was something like this..
http://www.icomuk.co.uk/categoryRender.asp?categoryID=3509&cCID=5135&tID=461

and a 1/4" radioshack headphone adapter.

now i can hear even the slightest little bip, i dont look like a fat mickey mouse with a metal detector and dont have to worry about someone sneaking up on me because i can hear squat.

dont want to spend the bucks on a commercially made earpeice? use a cheapo stereo earbud headphone set, find which of the two earbuds works when its plugged into your detector, and hack off the non working one.

all really think this is the way to go. even you guys that hunt in "safe" places. running around with both your ears covered is not a great idea.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Re: the non "mickey mouse" look. non nerdy headphone solution

I know what you mean. I don't know if you can find them any more, but I purchased a vintage hand radio from e-bay and it had one of those single ear piece with it worked great because it fits snug in your ear and you can still head around you..

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Worried about looking nerdy? I already have a metal detector! The headphones can't be any worse... LMAO

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT

Good idea I will probably be sending off for one of those. What I really would like is an affordable and reliable wireless.

I hunt the beach and targets are pretty spread out and a tad of boredom can come into play at times. I have been trying to figure out how to work a radio into my earphones. I am a big fan of talk radio. For those of use with lower end machines that silent search only I see no harm in doing this. I have no fear at all that the mega decibel tones from my ace 250 will still be unmissable even while listening to just audible radio in the earphones also.

Minnie

Dec 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250

Hey, Quit picking on Micky Mouse. ;D

~~ Minnie

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

In 100 degrees weather and not knowing what might be sneaking up on you..., Is a thought that runs through my head when detecting in the wilderness.So I don't use head phones there.I would think the single piece would really save on battery life as well.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I use the bud and neck band headphones. Inconspicuous enough.

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE

Also, Killer B's makes the Stinger headset with just one ear cup.

I believe TonyinCT sells them for around $67

Attachments

• kb-stinger.jpg
    kb-stinger.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 207

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000

The nerdier the better :P Keeps the young beautiful ones out of the hobby and leaves more for us ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread