What's new

The non- quarter - A tale to be told

Fourman110

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2013
Messages
441
Reaction score
790
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been adicted to this hobby for a little over four years. I started off pretty big with an AT Pro and enjoyed it so much I ended up getting an E-trac just about two years ago. Like everyone, my first stop was my yard which had pretty limited finds (1985 house). I think 've hit every park and ball field in town, done a bit of door knocking, visited a pile of schools, and haunted friends/relatives older homes. Lately I've been traveling out of town to start hitting other cities that may not be hit quite as hard (though truthfully I need to do more door knocking closer to home). I've been driving by myself nearly an hour away some times, just to find new territory.

Today I had the itch to get out, but not the drive to go anywhere so I ended up heading down the street to a mowed field. I live close to the edge of town and there's a big city owned lot out on the edge that from time to time has kids practicing soccer (and the city's nice enough to keep it mowed short). I've been going down there every once in a great while, mostly looking for modern coins and practicing with the detector (and dream of that big fat ring someone left behind). The field is across the street from an old farm house that is now surrounded by 1970's and 1980's homes. In looking at 1930s aerial photos of the area, this grass field looks like it was a farm field back then (what a suprise).

Last year I found a Kerosene lamp part out there. While I thought it was nice, I never really even thought too much about it, again always looking for modern coins/jewelry. To be honest, I don't think I've pulled $1.00 in change out of the whole field. The place is also littered with iron. My Etrac nulls a lot towards the center of the thing. Like I said, I've been there probably a dozen times with both detectors and never really found much more than the change and the lamp part.

Lately I've been getting better at the E-trac. I've been finding coins in spots I've hit hard before. Maybe I'm just learning how to slow down around iron, but it's really nice to get the confidence up in the my use of the machine.

Then today happened. It rained then cleared out today with the promise of more rain to come. I didn't think I had time to run anywhere far away and really had the drive to get out so I went to the field to see if I could finally find some change out there. After a couple minutes I start hitting a lot of iron, when I hear a little blip and decided to dig. I ended up pulling out some decorative metal with copper patina and a bit of gold gilt. That's when I remembered the kerosene lamp. After a little further I get another blip tone in the iron (I'm really going slow now) with some 10/12/13-41 numbers. Dug it up and it's a copper piece with a lot of patina. I think it's part of an old horse comb, almost looking like two rows of saw-like teeth. That's a good sign. They haven't made quality copper products in mass for a very long time, my interest is really going up.

About five minutes later I get a really solid tone with a 16-47 popping up on the VDI with iron all around it. I pulled an extra big plug as it was really hard to pinpoint. When I get to about six inches down I'm really starting to believe I finally found the silver quarter I've been dreaming about. Who knows, maybe a barber. At about seven inches I double checked the hole and it was out, but as I didn't see silver in the pile, I was thinking I pulled another nice rusty nail. Turns out it wasn't a quarter or a nail, it's a trade token. Briner's Pool Hall, Springville, IA, Good for 25C in Trade. I'd take that over a common quarter (even silver) any day!! Then the rain hit andd I had to punch. I can hardly wait to hit it again tomorrow.

Moral of the story: The grass may be greener somewhere else, but there may be some incredible finds close to home.

(note: pictures to come shortly once I figure out how to get them off the phone)
 
Last edited:
Upvote 16
View attachment 1212477

image.webp

20150917_190307.webp

20150917_190322.webp

20150917_190328.webp
 
Last edited:
I know the feeling, last season I mainly hit public property, parks and schools. Hunted in a 50 mile radius of home, Spent much time driving around a 3 county area. Pulled over $500 face value in coins. This year I am staying right in town, not having as good a year Dollar wise, but I am finding some very good keepers (coins) and other goodies,
 
good luck getting those pics up.... but your story is a good one.. as I mentioned in another thread, those old trade tokens are always a nice surprise.
 
Thanks everybody. Finally got the pictures attached. It would be interesting to find the time period of the token. While it's 25 cents, seems like it could have some age to it.
 
Four--nice find! It is not listed in either Henderson's IA Trade Tokens book or the supplement. Nor is it on tokencatalog.com - how about posting both sides there? I did a bit of searching and the only possibility is a Floyd Briner who lived in Springbille in 1930. At that time he was a carpenter, but there is a fair chance that he had a pool hall before or after that date. I'll do some more looking.
John in the Gret 208
 
Thanks for the reply Idaho... I've posted both sides but for some reason the one picture keeps coming up as a link instead of an image. Tried reworking it several times but it just won't take.

I'm wondering if it's not tied to Briner's General Store (or a relative). Here's a link to the Springfield Historical site with a photo.
http://www.springvillehistory.org/i...ide,_Mrs_Briner_and_daughter_Nylene_at_rt.jpg
 
Ah, I see the pic now fine. That photo you find from the Springfieldhistory site is really neat! With a name as uncommon as Briner, you are apt to be right.
John
 
Not a darn thing wrong with that. A big silver is surely waiting to be found in that area!!! If you have the small coil, I would bet money you'll find those pesky silver disk!!!
 
Great token!!! I love tokens! Congratz!!!
 
Old tokens are one of my favorite things to dig
 
Love the excitement you have in your story. It makes me know that you really enjoy the hunt as well as the finds. Congrats on the token! Keep Digging
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom