• PA240556.JPG
    PA240556.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 852
  • PA240555.JPG
    PA240555.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 779
Upvote 0
Re: the oldest & best lookin indian head penny ,i have ever dug

Why is it that the 1864 (bronze) to 1875 Indians survived better in the ground than the later dates? I have beautitful examples of 1864, 1867, 1869, and 1873 that came out of the dirt with little to no corrosion, like your 1865. However, most of the early 1900s dates I have dug were green and bumpy. I do not know of any significant difference in the quality of bronze used for minting coins in those years, so it makes no sense to me. Don't get me wrong- many of the better dates fall in the 1864-1875 range, so I'm more than happy to dig them in nice shape!

Nice one! It sure beats the crappy '65 I dug earlier this year. I could barely read the date.

Wow! That thing is in TASTY shape! Congrats on a great IH find! :icon_thumright:

~Indiana Digger~

rhedden said:
Why is it that the 1864 (bronze) to 1875 Indians survived better in the ground than the later dates? I have beautitful examples of 1864, 1867, 1869, and 1873 that came out of the dirt with little to no corrosion, like your 1865. However, most of the early 1900s dates I have dug were green and bumpy. I do not know of any significant difference in the quality of bronze used for minting coins in those years, so it makes no sense to me. Don't get me wrong- many of the better dates fall in the 1864-1875 range, so I'm more than happy to dig them in nice shape!
I would venture to say it is just coincidence, because I have dug beautiful ones from 1860's all thru the 1900s............and I have also dug green crusty ones in all yrs too, it all depends on the soil they were lost in!

that is one super nice 65, congrats......

rhedden said:

I know what you mean rhedden, the early one's seem to hold up better here too

Great looking penny, and wow look at the condition. Conratulations

Looks great , I love finding them like that!

The soils were kind with that one, very nice. :icon_thumright:

The clarity of that coin is awesome!!! :thumbsup:

rhedden said:

I've noticed a similar phenomenon with wheaties. The ones that come out with the most corrosion for me are the ones from the 1950's.

That is a fantastic looking IH, :thumbsup:,Congrats Soup

That's a nice one, gotta love those Civil War dates :icon_thumleft: :wink:

That's a beauty for sure! I dug a nice 1865 two weeks ago, but yours is nicer.

sharp IH congrats!!! MR TUFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back