The past mantle relics #6

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Unbroken slate axes and celts are scarcer than their hardstone counterparts.

Slate, is defined in Wikipedia as "a fine-grained, foliated, homogeneous, metamorphic rock derived from an original shale-type sedimentary rock composed of clay or volcanic ash through low-grade, regional metamorphism." Foliation in geology refers to repetitive layering in metamorphic rocks. Each layer can be as thin as a sheet of paper, or over a meter in thickness.

The layering or banding increases the attractiveness of slate to many collectors, and it's possible this was a positive trait as well to native Americans.

This layering also increases the potential for breaking along the bands.

This celt from Union County Indiana is 5 1/2 inches in length. It's polished over the complete body, removing all evidence of pecking of the celt. Some area of the flaking process used to shape the relic prior to pecking is still evident on the body. The bit and poll are relatively undamaged, which is not often seen.
20231220_190203.jpg

20231220_190206.jpg

Upvote 13

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve worked slate by grinding and polishing but have never tried pecking it. Is that even possible? I figured the grain size was too small and it was overall too fragile to peck so I never tried.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread