The Peoples Mem

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
The People's Mem

So here we are swinging away in an FP this morning. My unknown co-looter and I when the lawn mower statist comes by. I wave, say hello and he turns off his machine and begins to tell me I am violating the law.

This is a FP set aside for people to enjoy the outdoors, not for looting the history or artifacts that belong to the people who the county sets this land aside for. He informs me I am breaking the law and must stop.

So point by point, I tried to tell him I am enjoying the outdoors. Metal detecting has a long history in these woods and all the nearby woods and there are many of us who ENJOY the outdoors this way. He repeated his claim that I was not there to enjoy the land the county set aside for "the people" but to despoil it in the effort to fill my pockets with loot.

So I informed him that I AM "the people" and he is using my tax dollars against me. This totally missed the mark. My tax dollars are NOT my tax dollars, it's the money the county uses to keep these places open for "the people" of which I was not one as evidenced by my activity.

"What if someone wanted to come in here and take walnuts from the trees?" he proclaimed.
"THEN LET 'EM!"

Make up your mind, Mao the Mower. Which came first, the people or the state? Well he accused me of taking the people's property and keeping it for myself. I asked him if he wanted to take the mem cent I had found and put it in "the people's coffer" and he declined.

He then insisted I was an outlaw because I was not doing the proper thing anyway. To him, the proper thing, if it was to be allowed, would be to discover an object, record it and return it to the ground. I informed him I would be glad to do that with the ton's of aluminum scrap and pulltabs, even though it sounded idiotic on it's face and would be even more idiotic in practice. Of course putting it back would constitute an act of littering.

I asked him if he had ever encountered in his young 20-some years of life, anyone else engaging in this activity and informed him I had been doing this 20+ years with no such opposition as he was offering. He told me "lots of people" are upset with what I'm doing. Yeah, I see those protest signs everywhere. It was a long argument and he was willing to spend all day telling me what a bad person I was. I wonder what he'd done if I was an armed poacher, or a bunch of thugs drinking and getting obnoxious, or even a couple bass-ackward mushroom hunters.

Never mind the fact that he was mowing an equestrian trail. Not knocking the horse riders, but it's a fair bet that there are more md'ers in the woods than horse riders and here he is on "the people's time" making that minority more comfortable.

This guy was young, totally statist because all his freedom descends from the government and worst of all, getting paid to waste my time. So me and the unknown partner left and as we were walking through the parking lot, the FP LEO drove by, nodded and waved.

BTW, I kept the mem cent. And the 1865 IH I have soaking, man is it a crusty thing. Still have the pulltabs, nails and scrap I picked up as well. If I'm a criminal and a looter just looking to fill my pouches, it sure as hell ain't costing the people a dime, unlike this guys future pension will. It's obviously not costing the county a thing either. Maybe Mother Nature wants that scrap back, I'll call someone who cares, if there's a number listed for that, and find out.

Hey A-hole lawn mower boy, it's PUBLIC SERVICE, not PUBLIC SERVES US. Get it right.

Next time I see you I might do a little role playing. I'll be the drunken Norwegian sailor, you be the baby fur seal.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Re: The People's Mem

Lowbatts said:
I wonder what he'd done if I was an armed poacher, or a bunch of thugs drinking and getting obnoxious, or even a couple bass-ackward mushroom hunters.
He'd a kept on a mowing, that's for sure. He just thought he had himself an easy target.

You picked up more garbage and dangerous junk today than he likely does from his high-horse (power) mower in a week or a month. A small-minded ego on a lawnmower. >:(

I had some other stuff typed, but had to delete it as self-edited and unsuitable for this forum. I'll have to stop here and take my boiling blood for a cool-down! :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :angry4: :angry4: :angry4: :angry4:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They're the ones who make the "can slaw" on their mowers. . . and we're the ones
who end up digging & picking it up >:( . . . There's something's wrong with this picture!

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can slaw was my thoughts also Mark. Guys like that only get off their seat to kill time while being paid
to do so. He's paid to mow and to CLEAN the park.

metman

Jul 28, 2010
Metamora, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It was a long argument and he was willing to spend all day telling me what a bad person I was.

Maybe if he stuck to his job instead of wasting tax payers dollars trying to explain things he knows nothing about, he could do his job and keep the park cleaner for MORE people to enjoy. It cost the tax payers more money for the time he spent jawing then what you pulled form the park. There's always that guy who thinks he knows more then anyone else no matter where you work or play.

I'm not sure how putting back your finds for others to enjoy is possible . . . unless other MDers could find them. Tell you what, put that silver back and mark it, then I'll come up and uncover it again so I can enjoy it. Maybe he is right!

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used

I dunno know, this guy was a total tool of the state, and the body of government HE represented.

If you are the kind of person that puts your jogging/running shoes on, plugs in your earbuds and takes off with the blinders that have programmed into you, staying on the designated trail, never wandering from the path that has been laid out for you. Then you fit into his world view.

If not, you need some serious re-education. Well call me happily uneducated.

But hey Metman, my unknown partner and I did bump into a fellow today in a city park here, where I've never had any sort of the trouble we had earlier in the day. This fellow was using this BH that looked like a Romulan Warbird. He was carefully pulling pulltabs, then tossing them back in the ground. I removed three junk targets he had re-buried. But I was just too happy to see him as a necessary counter to Maoist on the mower to engage in a lesson plan.

So I picked up after him and moved on....grinning.

To paraphrase Mel Gibson in Braveheart... Freeeeedumb!

metman

Jul 28, 2010
Metamora, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This fellow was using this BH that looked like a Romulan Warbird.

Was this the guy?

P12_12_RomulanWarbird.jpg

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

So the moral of the story is: Young men in their twenties are worthless. Ignorant, cocky bastards!!

Lowbatts for President!!

Joe (born 12/15/1981) ;D

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They only see what they want too.
I think we all need to carry 8x10 colored, glossy photographs with pictures and arrows and explaining each in detail of all the bad stuff we pull from the ground.

Better yet... slice the ********** with one of the razor blades or poke em with a needle. Better yet cut his #$%^&#@@
with some glass that we pick up....

I'm done....too heated of a subject.....

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used

twistidd said:
So the moral of the story is: Young men in their twenties are worthless. --deleted--, cocky --deleted--s!!

Lowbatts for President!!

Joe (born 12/15/1981) ;D

"If you are not a liberal when you are 19, you have no heart. If you are not a conservative when you are 30, you have no brain." Winston Churchill

Don't trust anyone under 30!

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Several things about this are interestingly unfair.
Like Lowbatts mentioned, this lawnmaower man was mowing an equestrian trail.
How many people can afford to keep and ride horses these days? Mower man gets paid to keep things neat and tidy for the elite few. Does anyone police these horse riders to make sure they clean up after their horse droppings? I see no attempt at keeping the trails clean of horse manure by either the horse riders or the park maintenance people. Certainly that could be considered littering - could it be considered hazardous waste? What about all the flies it attracts? It spoils my enjoyment of the forest preserves.

Mower man claimed everything in the FP belonged to THE PEOPLE and that you cannot even take a leaf. It's there for everyone to enjoy. OK so what about the grasses or weeds that the horses eat while on the trails? Is anyone issuing tickets for illegal consumption of plant life? Those precious grasses are no longer able to be enjoyed if a horse eats them. What about the acorns and walnuts the squirrels eat? How are the few little coins to be enjoyed by THE PEOPLE if they remain burried in the ground? Are people supposed to enjoy the possibility that there MIGHT be coins in the ground? I propose that more people enjoy the coins AFTER they are removed from the ground than before. By putting photos of my finds online, hundreds - if not thousands more people enjoy them than if they were left in the ground where NOBODY enjoys them.

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's why I've started to carry a little black notebook and pen with me when I detect.

..."Your name please, and the name of your Superintendent and number?"
"What For?"
"Because you apparently don't know who pays your salary"
"Sure I do"
"No you don't....We've never been introduced"
"huh/? :icon_scratch:"
"Get your HEAD out of your A$S BOZO!"

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used

Lookn4seated said:
That's why I've started to carry a little black notebook and pen with me when I detect.

..."Your name please, and the name of your Superintendent and number?"
"What For?"
"Because you apparently don't know who pays your salary"
"Sure I do"
"No you don't....We've never been introduced"
"huh/? :icon_scratch:"
"Get your HEAD out of your A$S BOZO!"

I love you man!

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac

It's just too bad people have to react that way. Most of the time the cops or park people are more interested in what I am finding then any issues with detecting.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Maybe the Lawn boy is trying to Get you out of his prime detecting area!!!!! I have talked to several in our parks and They keep their eyes open while mowing!!!!! Always looking in front of them for Shiny objects!!!!!!! wallets, coins spills, Green cash blowing around, etc etc a couple detect the parks also not often but Once or twice a month!!! HH Chug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread