What's new

the power of an atlatl

larson1951

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2009
Messages
4,974
Reaction score
3,894
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
here is doug basset throwing an atlatl dart at a target
if you turn your volume up and listen to the impact you can hear the power of these
just sayin' these sure must have been a very vital weapon for the early native americans

 
Upvote 0
I had fun throwing on that coarse quite a few times, it's at Gary Fogelmans property.
 
I had fun throwing on that coarse quite a few times, it's at Gary Fogelmans property.
wow are you serious?? that's quite a coincidence!
 
Last edited:
It's amazing how much kenetic energy there is when it hits the target. I believe George Frison (University of Wyoming) used an atlatl on a study hunt of an elephant in africa. He also used stone tools to cut it up.
 
Yep, compound leverage. Just get it to the target rather than worry about force. Kid and I used quarter inch round stock around six inches long for heads.
Dad has a point from where a pickle field was planted not far from a lake, thats the oldest artifact from the area we know of. The man who dated it for him liked it as well as ol dad it seemed.
 
They not only have great power, but some people throw them with great accuracy.
 
That is the one weapon I have not taken a animal with yet, but I would love to give it a try:thumbsup:I could only take a hog because it is illegal to use on deer.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom