pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We are gifted on the property to have thousands of our Provincial flower growing.
The Trillium flower.
20210510_102505.jpg
20210510_104414.jpg

Last edited:

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So pretty!!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are so beautiful..I’ll have to check if any growers have them over here also and do the deer bother them

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These are so beautiful..I’ll have to check if any growers have them over here also and do the deer bother them

It seems that others are bothered by the deer eating them, then again I'm not sure if the just eat the flower or the whole stem as well.
Come to think about it I did see many in one area that had no flowers-I thought it was too early for them on the hill-but now you got me thinking about that one.
We have so many I guess I don't miss the ones the deer eat probably.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can they be used to make Rum ? ? ?

:P

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just yesterday i came across a whole hillside of the white ones. such cool flowers

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

we have these locally in western ny. deer seem to leave em alone

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have the Trillium here in the Redwood and Douglas fir forests of the northwest corner
of California as well. They are pretty much done blooming for this spring.

Mike

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We have the Trillium here in the Redwood and Douglas fir forests of the northwest corner
of California as well. They are pretty much done blooming for this spring.

Mike

Just noticed yesterday that some are turning pinkish in colour. They're on their way out as well it seems, as the weather has turn summer like quickly this week.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The adoption of an official flower for Ontario grew out of a movement during the First World War to choose a national floral emblem appropriate for planting on the graves of Canadian servicemen overseas.

The white trillium (Trillium grandiflorum), also known as the wake-robin and the white lily, was officially adopted as Ontario’s floral emblem in 1937. It was recommended by a special committee of botanists to the Ontario Horticultural Association. In a British botanical work published in 1760 there is a reference to the trilliums as “the herb True Love of Canada.”

The floral emblem of Ontario, the white trillium
Found in the forests and woodlands of Ontario, the white trillium blooms in late April and May. The blooms are very sensitive to light, and the white flowers usually bend toward the sun as it moves across the sky. Contrary to popular belief, it is not illegal to pick a white trillium in Ontario. However, picking the flower can seriously injure the plant and it can take years to recover.

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-h...al-territorial-symbols-canada/ontario.html#a6

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The adoption of an official flower for Ontario grew out of a movement during the First World War to choose a national floral emblem appropriate for planting on the graves of Canadian servicemen overseas.

The white trillium (Trillium grandiflorum), also known as the wake-robin and the white lily, was officially adopted as Ontario’s floral emblem in 1937. It was recommended by a special committee of botanists to the Ontario Horticultural Association. In a British botanical work published in 1760 there is a reference to the trilliums as “the herb True Love of Canada.”

The floral emblem of Ontario, the white trillium
Found in the forests and woodlands of Ontario, the white trillium blooms in late April and May. The blooms are very sensitive to light, and the white flowers usually bend toward the sun as it moves across the sky. Contrary to popular belief, it is not illegal to pick a white trillium in Ontario. However, picking the flower can seriously injure the plant and it can take years to recover.

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-h...al-territorial-symbols-canada/ontario.html#a6

Thanks for proving that important information RC, especially the fact that it could take years for the plant to recover.

It can take a single Trillium 7 to 8 years to produce a flower.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for proving that important information RC, especially the fact that it could take years for the plant to recover.

It can take a single Trillium 7 to 8 years to produce a flower.

Hard to see a trillium around my area.
Thee is a roadside park they thrive on some edges of.
For what ever reason , deer like them here.
Possibly deer numbers , though not high by any means in that area. Don't recall a track spotted there let alone a deer.

But a flower that does not tolerate browsing or being molested, takes little to curtail the success of.

Lady slippers are scarce here too.
Used to find /see them as a child among the many miles of walking outdoors.
And a friend used to transplant them successfully.

Law or not , as a youth it was made clear they were to be admired , but left alone.
Fair enough. For thier sakes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread