Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4_12_2015 the detecting pyramid.jpg

The detecting pyramid of staples is comprised of Quarters, Dimes, and Nickels. With Cents no longer comprising or yielding any major impact in the takes quotas at this site. Also as you can see the majority of finds are not fresh drops either, pointing towards the decline of the change economics the penny is of little use under these circumstances due to its lack of value. Sites are less likely to provide appreciable returns for time spent detecting versus in the past when you could find heaps of clad coinage freshly dropped. Maybe it is time to seek new sites for detecting based on these findings in conclusion. Hope you enjoyed my tongue in cheek approach to evaluating todays lackluster hunting event. :laughing7:

Upvote 9

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the penny is pre 82' you have managed to avoid the zincs! SCORE!!! ....either that or they are deteriorating faster than we thought!

Congrats on getting out and digging! Now go get your gold!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I must live in a recessed area. I still detect many copper pennies and zincs. How long of a hunt was it? Were you a business analyst in your past life?

Just some of my tongue and cheek...:laughing7:

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the penny is pre 82' you have managed to avoid the zincs! SCORE!!! ....either that or they are deteriorating faster than we thought!

Congrats on getting out and digging! Now go get your gold!

Hi Msbeep :hello2: Yes that one is an actual copper cent from the 70s, I did have one zinc cent but it didn't get to the photo shoot.
Took me a bit to understand that zinger on "they are deteriorating faster than we thought!" :laughing7: Maybe the moles are eating them now? Also another possibility is they just round up or down five cents now at the cafeteria, and no longer bother with those troublesome cents.

I must live in a recessed area. I still detect many copper pennies and zincs. How long of a hunt was it? Were you a business analyst in your past life?

Just some of my tongue and cheek...:laughing7:

Hi Loco-Digger :headbang: At other sites I find lots more cents units of coinage, but lots less nickels, thus leading to my idea of the rounding to nickels on change. I really like finding nickels since they are five x the value of cents (infinitely more valuable than deteriorated zincs?). One would hope for a gold ring that reads out in the nickel region. But I can confirm having dug at least 300-400 nickels in the last two years, with a large portion of them coming from this site,with no gold rings ever found reading as a nickel for me out here, mysterious isn't it ??? On the topic of nickels I have found that their readings vary a bit from site to site depending on the soil type. Once I know what a nickel reads out at, It is easy to watch out for readings in that area and thus find many more nickels.
Another useless fact if you get your nickels really well packed inside a quart container it should hold approximately Five-hundred, that is what my last quart container netted on turn in. I am not sure which of my past lives would have been related to business and the analysis of numbers :laughing7:

P.S. On the hunt length it wasn't much longer than two hours, had to cut short due to battery died and had left backup battery pack at home :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would search out a new spot but never give up on that one...

One thing about treasure hunting...you just never know..Good Luck!

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Research research research...there silver all over... Don't think about it just have fun. But u are right about the coinage!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread