The Queen’s Jewels from 1715 fleet

joska

Nov 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scubafinder,do you have what it takes to go after the queens jewels .If you can get permission on the area we could show you where to dive on them .

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scubafinder,do you have what it takes to go after the queens jewels .If you can get permission on the area we could show you where to dive on them .

Joska... I noticed you said "we".... are you part of a group ? crew ? Contractor ?

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW ScubaFinder... long time no chat... how goes it ?

Working on anything ?

Problem is... I would want to be there... it would be nuts to think finding what has alluded everyone wouldn't be something I would not want to help salvage.
And its not like the only spot... heh ... I actually have a list :)

But I would like to see something come to light regardless really now days... this has been more and more my mindset anyway.
Also regardless... I will continue the plight... With so many good spots... hung up by so little REAL abilities.

Perhaps one day I can see if I was right about at least a couple of them... Sheesh even one would be cool enough I guess.
But which one ?... is also a dilemma. :)

Bah... maybe it will only always just be... Back to research :)

View attachment 1847197

See... ever since kid days... I have been hooked on finding... or the idea of being a part of finding the elusive of the elusive.
And I have been hooked on "the hunt" ever since... BUT... its a little hard to go for it concerning possible wreck sites when you are not allowed to do so.

But you never shake it... that "quest"... that autopilot search for the elusive... and you know that the only way to stop it... is to find it... which may never come... which is really... REALLY... frustrating.

Decades haven't even produced a patina on memories of holding treasures from my youth... and that was someone else's work results... no less cool... but the satisfaction factor doesn't exist from that for me.

From that time period on... I knew there was "more out there"... and I wanted to do the same... A solve / find... especially if it were because I solved the "puzzle"... that would be that release for me.
And of course anything ground breaking AND OR Treasure would be the "other part" :P

Once you've been bitten by the bug... the itch never goes away... and it stems I think from some desire to get some form of "confirmation" that all of the thought and riddle solving amounted to something other than just theories... thoughts... and talk like this.

PS... and its not just all about me... I would love to have even the chance to share in anything close to a major find / solve even with partners / companions / crew.

interesting commentary��

joska

Nov 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC,yes part of a team that locate and image treasure in and out of water.Not kidding either.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Queen's jewels might be in an overlooked spot. Mag hits don't have to be there to find gold. In fact, it happened to someone this month, not a single mag hit in the area. I think all the gold was in the form of coins, but when you get enough of them, it all adds up.

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Red I think the Queen's jewels are on one of the 5 vessel's that have not been found like the Magdalena.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
know that king of Spain was royally pissed when his salvage crews found more gold than was officially recorded on the ships manifest --when a ship wrecks a 75 % recovery is considered great --but when one recovers more than 100% that means that massive smuggling is occurring --there was a lot of questioning when it became quite clear that there was rampant smuggling on the 1715 fleet ...many capts butt were in a sling

the English balandra vessel taken as a prize vessel by Echeverz ---called the MARI a GALARA CLASS VESSEL -- OFTEN LABELED THE "MARIGALRA" ---was sold to ubilla in cuba by echevez and was ubilla's patache

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
from the accounts I have read * there were 11 Spanish vessels in the combined 1715 fleet ---5 in Ubilla's fleet and 6 in Echeverz's fleet --plus the French vessel Griffon for a total of 12 vessels ---salmon letter to t6he king of spain of oct 20 1715 says -- of the fleet 9 are known to be lost and 2 of the terra firme fleet gallones are thought to be sank on the high seas because wreckage of a large vessel or vessels was found on the north coast of st Augustine (modern day Anastasia island area) -- since he did not have to account6 for the French vessel and also had no clue where it went to --he did not write about it --but as the 2nd in command under Ubilla --salmon would have known exactly how many vessels were in the fleet since he had to account for their whereabouts and condition

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
know that king of Spain was royally pissed when his salvage crews found more gold than was officially recorded on the ships manifest --when a ship wrecks a 75 % recovery is considered great --but when one recovers more than 100% that means that massive smuggling is occurring --there was a lot of questioning when it became quite clear that there was rampant smuggling on the 1715 fleet ...many capts butt were in a sling

Welllll none of any of the ships cargo's was even 100% found / "accounted for".

As far as "more than manifested"... Well there was a lot of that going on... So much so... that it was "commonplace"... and almost always expected.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from the accounts I have read * there were 11 Spanish vessels in the combined 1715 fleet ---5 in Ubilla's fleet and 6 in Echeverz's fleet --plus the French vessel Griffon for a total of 12 vessels ---salmon letter to t6he king of spain of oct 20 1715 says -- of the fleet 9 are known to be lost and 2 of the terra firme fleet gallones are thought to be sank on the high seas because wreckage of a large vessel or vessels was found on the north coast of st Augustine (modern day Anastasia island area) -- since he did not have to account6 for the French vessel and also had no clue where it went to --he did not write about it --but as the 2nd in command under Ubilla --salmon would have known exactly how many vessels were in the fleet since he had to account for their whereabouts and condition

It should be pointed out that there also was a Concepción in Ubilla’s fleet.

"the Santissima Trinidad y Nuestra Señora de la Concepción"... which tends to confuse historians.

:P

:)

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yes but in t6he account of the pilot major of the fleet (ubilla's pilot) it was noted that ubilla ordered the 2 treasure vessels of Echeverz to li9nk up with his fleet as the storm approached -- Echeverz did not like it but since Ubilla was senior in command had to comply Echeverz also brought the dutch prize vessel known as "olandisa" or san meguel so a total of 8 vessels which sank as a group --- 3 vessels of Echeverz fleet were ordered to break off ---the tobacco hauling nao San Miguel ---the French prize "el ciervo"---and the nao conception

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
oh aarc -- I meant in total overall value of what was recovered by the kings salvage crews exceeded the value of what was manifested … so yah there clearly was massive smuggling going on for that to occur=== much more off the books than on it

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes but in t6he account of the pilot major of the fleet (ubilla's pilot) it was noted that ubilla ordered the 2 treasure vessels of Echeverz to li9nk up with his fleet as the storm approached -- Echeverz did not like it but since Ubilla was senior in command had to comply Echeverz also brought the dutch prize vessel known as "olandisa" or san meguel so a total of 8 vessels which sank as a group --- 3 vessels of Echeverz fleet were ordered to break off ---the tobacco hauling nao San Miguel ---the French prize "el ciervo"---and the nao conception

There are a few things you state here that are contrary to my understandings... which... is in itself is not unusual...

because I hear things that go against my understandings and knowledge's all the time.

With that said...

We could debate... in some depth... some of the things you are referring to.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh aarc -- I meant in total overall value of what was recovered by the kings salvage crews exceeded the value of what was manifested … so yah there clearly was massive smuggling going on for that to occur=== much more off the books than on it

It was estimated... over the period of 4 years... (from 1715-1719)... 30 percent total of the entire fleet had been recovered.

So... "exceeded the value of what was manifested " could have never happened.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides... no captains were left to "punish". heh

And no "excess cargo" could have been attributed to any one or more persons... due to... no documentation anyway.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh... and did you know...

that Ubilla AND Echeverz were "equals" ? ? ?

And... in the most important anticipated possible "worst case scenario"... Echeverz was to be in FULL command of the Fleet.

Like.. if confronted to be pirated or engaged...

Echeverz was to be in total command.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
gold that was recovered * not silver ---gold was the commonly smuggled item due to it value --guess I wasn't totally clear

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread