The Rarest Confederate Relic I've Ever Found... And I Didn't Have To Dig It!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I've always been just as much of an urban treasure hunter for most of my life. My particular area of interest is military stuff, mostly Civil War weapons and relics. Well, I came across what is hands down the rarest Confederate relic I've ever held in my hands. It's a bullet mold for a very rare Confederate Sharps variant called a "Rocker Base Sharps". The bullets are mainly found in Confederate camps in Texas and Arkansas. The dug bullets go for upwards of $100 each! I can't even begin to guess what this bullet mold is worth, but I know it's a lot! I haven't been able to find another example of this particular mold. Knowing how rare the bullets are, it's not out of the realm of possibility that this could be the only one that's still in existence. Amazingly, it's still in excellent condition and still casts nearly a perfect bullet! This is exactly the reason why I love thrift stores, antique shops and flea markets. You never know treasure you'll find for a super cheap price! It just amazes me to think that of what this awesome piece of history has seen in 150+ years and how it ended up in someone's junk box at a flea market. Thanks for looking and HH!

PF

Attachments

• sharps1.jpg
    sharps1.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 191
  • sharps2.jpg
    sharps2.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 180
  • sharps3.jpg
    sharps3.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 168
  • sharps4.jpg
    sharps4.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 191
  • sharps5.jpg
    sharps5.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Upvote 57

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow congratulations! It is in such beautiful shape too. I am happy to see it found a proper home rather than just residing in a junk box, enjoy!

Steve

P.S. Now you just need a Sharps so you can fire those bullets if you haven't already got one.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
That is awesome!!! SO, how much for a bullet from that mold?...hmmmm?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That is awesome!!! SO, how much for a bullet from that mold?...hmmmm?

I hope that having the ability to produce that rare Sharps Variant and making dozens or more of them, does not adversely affect the price of the ones dug from Battle/Skirmish sites!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure there is someone out there with a nice stack of cash for that puppy... nice catch.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find. I would have to purchase one of the actual Civil War era bullets to display with it. I always think of finding Civil War stuff in places like that. Years ago, at one outdoor auction at a period home a few miles from a Civil War battlefield, I purchased a McClellan saddle and a bayonet.
From the same sale my brother purchased Confederate saddlebags. Could have been battlefield pickups. Altogether, I think we paid maybe 25 dollars. My other brother bought a jar of buttons for five dollars once and found a non-dug rare Confederate button. He ended up selling that one for $1200.00. Been to hundreds and hundreds of sales of all types over the years but rarely ever find any Civil War items.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner find fir sure Im glad it meant so much to you awesome. Tommy

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, that is amazing, I wonder how many passed over it not realizing what it was or its worth. Congratulations on the save

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score. It pays to be in the right place, at the right time, with cash in hand.

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find! I like it!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, what a great score! From the condition, it probably meant a lot to some old fellow. When he passed, it was probably sold off with his tools and things that would mean a lot to him and us, but not to today's crowds. Just junk to most folks. Glad you came along when you did.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer find!
Are there any stampings or marks on the
bullet mold?