The Robert and Sarah Morriss Story

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
CHARLIE BUTTON, Editor & OWNER of the L'burg newspaper at that time, said that his SUB-EDITOR (John William Sherman), wrote the BEALE PAPERS PAMPHLET...
...and with that mention in the BEDFORD SENTINEL, it appears that the Beale "story was "solved in the first half of 1886.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Note on page 15 in the BEDFORD SENTINEL notice the court clerk was R D Buford, son of Pascal and Francis Buford of Buford's Inn, who, after being contacted by Vincent Witcher talked to Ward about removing the Beale Papers from sale...
It is obvious that Rowland Dabney Buford was well aware of the BEALE PAPERS that mentioned the alleged stay of Thomas J Beale at his parents Inn, but he NEVER mentioned this in his "SKETCHES OF BEDFORD COUNTY".
If the Beale visit actually occurred while constructing the treasure vault, one would think that would be a major event in Bedford county for that time and worth the pages in his book.
Add that to Charles W Button's statement that John William Sherman was the author, it becomes apparent the Beale perilous adventure was considered as a work of fiction during its short time of being for sale.
*NOTE* To Rebel-KGC
As I mentioned to Franklin many times, my notes are all handwritten and haphazardly cataloged in a cardboard box and I have either lost that note or just haven't been able to locate it.
I just happed to find the above post while reading old threads.
The Bedford Sentinel was a weekly newspaper, and that article, from my memory, was from sometime during the first four months of 1886.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is obvious that Rowland Dabney Buford was well aware of the BEALE PAPERS that mentioned the alleged stay of Thomas J Beale at his parents Inn, but he NEVER mentioned this in his "SKETCHES OF BEDFORD COUNTY".
If the Beale visit actually occurred while constructing the treasure vault, one would think that would be a major event in Bedford county for that time and worth the pages in his book.
Add that to Charles W Button's statement that John William Sherman was the author, it becomes apparent the Beale perilous adventure was considered as a work of fiction during its short time of being for sale.
*NOTE* To Rebel-KGC
As I mentioned to Franklin many times, my notes are all handwritten and haphazardly cataloged in a cardboard box and I have either lost that note or just haven't been able to locate it.
I just happed to find the above post while reading old threads.
The Bedford Sentinel was a weekly newspaper, and that article, from my memory, was from sometime during the first four months of 1886.

Chronicling America and all of it's newspapers has no 1886 copy of the Bedford Sentinel.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Roland Buford was confronted AFTER the Beale Papers were published and placed on sale that Vincent Witcher and others inquired of him whether he or his sisters had any knowledge of Beale's alleged stay at there parents inn.
The conclusion was that the story was a dime novel fiction, and Ward was asked to remove the pamphlet from sale because of the mention of those names.
Ward complied. He could have reprinted that page with the names removed, or printed an edited 2nd edition, but he did not.
The confirmation of this has been posted on two threads, one that has since been removed...
You once posted a link to "One Letter, One Enclosure" on Angelfire that contained some of this same information.
*NOTE* The thread that was removed contained a link to the site that had the BEDFORD SENTINEL issues.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You once posted a link to "One Letter, One Enclosure" on Angelfire that contained some of this same information.
*NOTE* The thread that was removed contained a link to the site that had the BEDFORD SENTINEL issues.

Who started that thread? It had to be removed by whomever started the thread. I do not believe the Mods remove any threads? I did see where there was one copy of the Bedford Sentinel for 1886 but you had to go to that library to read it. I do not know how to find a link to those newspapers. It is kind of strange all of the years that are needed for research there is no newspapers for that year. Same with the old Lynchburg Newspapers, everything but what you need. And what they have they have holes cut out clips of articles that could have reference to the treasure. Some kind of a conspiracy going on and I don't like it one bit.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Who started that thread? It had to be removed by whomever started the thread. I do not believe the Mods remove any threads? I did see where there was one copy of the Bedford Sentinel for 1886 but you had to go to that library to read it. I do not know how to find a link to those newspapers. It is kind of strange all of the years that are needed for research there is no newspapers for that year. Same with the old Lynchburg Newspapers, everything but what you need. And what they have they have holes cut out clips of articles that could have reference to the treasure. Some kind of a conspiracy going on and I don't like it one bit.
JEEPERS! :BangHead:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Add that to Charles W Button's statement that John William Sherman was the author, it becomes apparent the Beale perilous adventure was considered as a work of fiction during its short time of being for sale...
In addition there are the "disclaimers" in the narrative text warning one NOT to devote all their time in solving the ciphers and John William Sherman's facetious "review" in the LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN about getting a shovel and heading to Bedford county to dig for treasure.
Keep in mind that the Beale Papers was written solely for the 1885 Lynchburg market, and there ae nuances that would have been understood then that the Beale perilous adventure treasure tale was fiction, but are not understood and are lost to modern readers of the Job Print Pamphlet.

OP
OP
G

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
CW,

Very interesting information. Your work is excellent. You dug up the evidence to verify the Robert Morris ancestry which confirmed his nieces’ identity and now you have added some other sourced fodder for consideration in the unknown author’s Beale story origin. Keep up the good work!

The WPA documents provide some excellent shortcuts for research. The sources they used are particularly interesting. Many of these same sources are available and we can see how they came up with the narratives in many cases. They were human just like us and surely made some mistakes.

One of the main sources that I haven’t found online are the Lynchburg newspapers from 1823 to 1828. I believe they may be available at the Jones Library in Lynchburg. Most of the other papers can be found at various place online. (GenealogyBank has several Lynchburg papers – Paid Subscription) For me at least it, leaves a void in the Robert and Sarah Morriss timeline.

I didn’t go back and review my research but I believe I was leaning strongly to the belief that the location of the Washington Inn was the same as the Washington Hotel and Washington House. This seems important when we try to fit Franklin’s research (Morriss’ 8 year lease and wooden structure) into a timeline.

I’m being lazy here but could you post the WPA information on the Bell Tavern (s)? which I believe was located in the same block as the Washington Hotel.

Thanks, Garry

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Robert & Sarah Morriss home

Morriss home img,copyright, has a permission form link
Virginia Historical Inventory Photographs, Works Progress Administration Collection

i forgot to mark it, between 5th & 6th @ main #53
Screenshot 2019-12-06 at 1.04.43 PM.png
Lynchburg
Map Location No. 53
http://digitool1.lva.lib.va.us:8881...TI++=(Dwellings))&ADJACENT=N&pds_handle=GUEST
metadata
http://digitool1.lva.lib.va.us:1801/webclient/MetadataManager?pid=129553&descriptive_only=true

moriss title pg.png morriss pg 2.png morriss pg 3.png morriss pg 4.png morriss pg 5.png

Home site of Robert Morris : survey report, 1937 Oct. 25
Creator
Beardsworth, Susan R.
Creation Date
1937 - 1025
Format
5 leaves.
Note(s)
Map location number on survey report incorrectly given as: CAM53. Actual map number: LYN53.
Class: Home
Building date: 1809
Primary owners: Robert Morris, Maurice H. Garland, Seth Halsey
Includes genealogical and biographical information on owners, and on some prominent renters of the home. These individuals include Dr. James Murray Brown and Thomas Eston Randolph.
Includes abstracts of title.
This write-up is a part of the Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project sponsored by the Virginia Conservation Commission under the direction of its Division of History.
https://lva.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/01LVA_INST/18mtacj/alma990006929740205756

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this the house that Max Guggenheimer ESQ resided in 1885?

He lived there in 1877 according to the Gray's Map of Lynchburg. I will have to check for 1885.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
When was his house in 1902 Grace Street in Diamond Hill constructed and when did he take up residence?
Was it before or after 1885?
Max Guggenheimer and the agent for copyright (Ward) were the only persons mentioned in the Beale Papers that were living when the pamphlet was placed on sale. There was a reason he was mentioned in the story narrative that would have be apparent to the 1885 Lynchburg reader.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to get into the Deeds and Records for that information. I tried today but there just isn't much information on the internet. I contacted the Deed office yesterday and they told me you have to come in to see the deeds or hire someone to do it for you.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Max Guggenheimer lived on Grace Street in 1891 according to this 1891 Baist Map. Also the 1890 Census had him in Ward 3, that is also this area. It does not say Jr. though? I do not know if Sr. had passed away by then? Screenshot_2019-12-07 Screenshot.png

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Max Guggenheimer, Jr. 1856-1912; he was 70 years old.

Yes but when did Sr. die? Max Guggenheimer, Jr..jpg Never mind there was no Max Guggenheimer Sr. in Lynchburg only Jr. who later became Sr. when he named his son Max.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread