What's new

The Silver keeps flowing and now a pocket dump

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2013
Messages
1,544
Reaction score
2,779
Golden Thread
2
Location
New York
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been on a silver roll for the last few weeks with 21 pieces last week and 12 this week. Went out yesterday to one of the same parks that's been hunted for years. Tried a new spot and started finding lots of wheaties so I figured there was silver around. Well, there was. Ended up with 6 Mercs and a war nickel. 4 of the Mercs were in a pocket dump. Can't believe I didn't find one Indian although I did find 24 wheaties.

This is an interesting large old park. The spot everyone used to hunt 30-35 years ago was a big field and now is completely overgrown with brush. You can't even swing a loop. The spot I was at yesterday used to be park like with giant old oaks. The oaks are still there, but the grass area is now filled with small saplings. Basically it's hunting the woods, which I like a lot. I guess I'm going to have to keep going back until the ground freezes.

20151218_162508finds.webp

20151219_075352 dimes.webp

20151219_075450 dimes reverse.webp

The pocket dump is below.
20151218_150912.webp
 
Upvote 64
Very nice! [emoji106]
 
I would go back until the ground was frozen solid and then use a pick axe at that heavily hunted park.
 
Nice finds! You're really cleaning up on those silvers!
 
I get goosebumps just thinking of all that silver jingling around in your pocket! Great saves!
 
No doubt with those type of finds! Nice!
 
Wow what a great outing. You New York guys & your parks are really killin the silver.
 
Nice going on the silver bounty, congrats on the latest hunt.
It seems that the parks have changed over the years as it seems that the maintenance programs get cut back so the urban park themes were adopted, so what the public used a century before is now grown over and it provides a great area for detecting I've found.
 
I presume you're using the stock coil on the CTX. I know that swinging mine in a stubble field is really annoying - and limiting.

So with that heavy sapling growth, and such a promising place, personally I'd be thinking of a small coil for the CTX. The serious problem is, CTX coils are too danged expensive! At least with my E-Trac, I picked up a 6" for $150. It went with the E-Trac to another honorable member here.
 
Great day and I see some masked targets are now coming out? And that's a beautiful OD Nickel you found too, Don.
 
I presume you're using the stock coil on the CTX. I know that swinging mine in a stubble field is really annoying - and limiting.

So with that heavy sapling growth, and such a promising place, personally I'd be thinking of a small coil for the CTX. The serious problem is, CTX coils are too danged expensive! At least with my E-Trac, I picked up a 6" for $150. It went with the E-Trac to another honorable member here.

I'm still using the stock coil. Fortunately the saplings aren't too close together to make it tough to swing. Those CTX coils are expensive.

Great day and I see some masked targets are now coming out? And that's a beautiful OD Nickel you found too, Don.

Yes, some of the masked targets are coming out if you have the patience. I think the OD nickel would make him proud. Always nice to add to a pile of silver.
 
I presume you're using the stock coil on the CTX. I know that swinging mine in a stubble field is really annoying - and limiting.

So with that heavy sapling growth, and such a promising place, personally I'd be thinking of a small coil for the CTX. The serious problem is, CTX coils are too danged expensive! At least with my E-Trac, I picked up a 6" for $150. It went with the E-Trac to another honorable member here.

I'm still using the stock coil. Fortunately the saplings aren't too close together to make it tough to swing. Those CTX coils are expensive.

You just have to follow the guys that change their equipment like underware soon enough the like new coils are sold off. Picked up a 6" for the CTX for $150 all in and it didn't have a scratch. The open web concept is a pain in the stubble, E-Trac stock coil is a pain in the mud as it collects in the web spokes.
 
Sweet digs, 7 silvers in one hunt and 4 in one hole. I have pulled 3 from one hole, but never 7 in one hunt. That's 3 weeks of silver for me.
 
Don,

Good silver haul for your efforts.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
I like your silver nickel, but I like mine better:laughing7:
Very nice hunt and site!
 
Two replies beat me to it--------------------use a sharp shooter coil even if you have to use your backup machine. I love my 4.5" in tight places.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom