What's new

The ticks are out in full force!! Strongest repellent?

CrazySlasher

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2010
Messages
735
Reaction score
96
Golden Thread
1
Location
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't walk two feet in the woods without getting covered in ticks right now. Having long hair doesn't help either. I'm going to have to start braiding it or something. What is the most potent tick repellent on the market?
 
I should also mention, if you have a Tractor Supply nearby, you can go get a gallon of permethrin pretty cheap and then just dilute it and spray it on. cheaper by far in the long run, but you have to play a little bit with the dilution to keep it lethal
 
Permethrin is a synthetic of a natural insecticide in flowers. Its applications include a clothing treatment to repel and kill ticks, mosquitoes and more.

http://www.doktordoom.com/permwhat.htm
 
Yup, Permethrin kills the little buggers before they can latch on to you.

Never did figure out how DEET keeps them from biting, but I don't believe it. DEET works for skeeters, though.

Permethrin on clothing does work for clothes (and I use it on my hair as well). Never been bit by horse flies, deer flies, or stable flies (look like house flies but hurt like heck).

They land, they die. Think of it as doing your part for biology. ;D

Don't forget about chiggers; these nasty little cruds are miserable to get rid of, actually burrowing under your skin to torment you for weeks. Permethrin gets them before they dig in.
 
Thanks. Just ordered that bottle of Sawyer's off Amazon.
 
This use to work for me,buy B-1 tablets,put 'em in a pill crusher and pour the crush tablets in a bowl and add some water,just enough to make a paste,afterwards put paste on your boots,socks,etc.
This also works against chiggers. :icon_thumleft:
 
Ok fellow MD'ers, please be careful of this product. Its fairly safe but dont go overboard with it. It will kill your pet cat just about as fast as it will kill ticks! But will not harm dogs( commonly used in tick and flea control for dogs). For many years I used permethrin based products to control bugs in my nursery and sprayed for one of the largest nursery in the states. Now if i get even close to the stuff I get very ill and end up sick in bed for a week. Again read the instructions and warnings carefully and HH :icon_thumright: Oh!!! make sure to wash it all off before feeding your fish tank, it will kill all aquatic life and and all other cold blooded animals!
 
All have good advice. I deer hunt early Sept. when the bugs are out full force. Am in the woods a 1/4 mile
from bay so very marshy with zillions of mosqitoes and ticks. Here in DE we like to call them the state bird:)
Anyway, after learning the hard way about using some kind of repellant I tried permethrin because when dry it is
odorless and have actually seen the ticks climbing my shirt sleeve and just dropping off. Walmart sells spray
made by Repel called permanon that really works good.Can find it in the camping section. Just hang clothes on a hanger and saturate everthing.
Pants, shirt , hat, gloves. I even spray my socks. Just let everthing dry for 24hrs. before putting on and the stuff
last about 6 weeks even after several washings. For face protection I use a $2.00 mesh bug mask. Hope tips help you. BTW chiggers only bite you, not burrow under the skin. The itching you get is a reaction to the saliva they use when boring a hole with their mouth pieces. (Google it)
Jay
 
RPSwede said:
Ok fellow MD'ers, please be careful of this product. Its fairly safe but dont go overboard with it. It will kill your pet cat just about as fast as it will kill ticks! But will not harm dogs( commonly used in tick and flea control for dogs). For many years I used permethrin based products to control bugs in my nursery and sprayed for one of the largest nursery in the states. Now if i get even close to the stuff I get very ill and end up sick in bed for a week. Again read the instructions and warnings carefully and HH :icon_thumright: Oh!!! make sure to wash it all off before feeding your fish tank, it will kill all aquatic life and and all other cold blooded animals!

I've used permethrin for maybe 20 years, and I'm still OK with it, and I spray it on my hair. Occasionally it gets on my skin, maybe more than occasionally.

I've used DEET longer than that, and I still use it when I can't avoid it on my skin, but it makes my skin 'crawl', which I take to be a nerve reaction to it. It does melt plastic - pencils, paint, etc.

I use 50-60% DEET, and there are times the bugs are so ravenous that I have to reapply it every 10 minutes. I don't like those times.

from Wikipedia:
Recently, DEET has been found to inhibit the activity of a central nervous system enzyme, acetylcholinesterase, in both insects and mammals.

Maybe that's why I get the reaction to it.

I feel that you are safer using Permenone on your clothes, and covering as much of your body in light colored, loose fitting garments.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom