What's new

The Topic "What Is It"

AU24K

Platinum Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2006
Messages
15,505
Reaction score
14,105
Golden Thread
0
Location
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Topic "What Is It"

As I post this, there are 27 new responses to topics for me to read and hope to be able to help out on.
When I first log on to Tnet, I immediately come to this topic. THIS is the fellowship of metal detectorists!
When I first stumbled on Tnet, it was this topic that hooked me. I even beat PBK to an ID once. WOW!
Soon after, I became a charter member. Since then I have made very good friends with other members.
I see on this topic a lot of first posters. I try to be available to welcome them to the greatest Treasure related website on the internet.
So.....how did you come to be a regular of this great site?

Scott

Oh, and being an old man, I finally learned how to mark my queries as solved! :thumbsup:
 
Re: The Topic "What Is It"

Looks like an open ended question...

So I'll tell you what brought me to the "What Is It" section and to Treasurenet.

I simply had a whatsit I needed help with, and after finding T-Net while doing research, I was sucked in almost immediately. This topic area is the best part of the site in my opinion and where I've done at least half my total posting since joining. I've learned a ton here and taught a little too... there is a great group of folks who are regulars and I'm glad to have helped research on a bunch of these items.

PBK is the "What Is It" swammy and a class act. He has always set the tone for this topic area and I credit him with giving us a great example.

Many "first posters" post right here first...
 
Upvote 0
Re: The Topic "What Is It"

Agreed Jim. When we first arrived to tnet I'm quite sure between myself and 5 other kids that attend our day camp must have drove everyone nuts! We had accumulated all kinds of cool little items that we just didn't know what they were. We posted one after another after another trying to catch up.It was quite addicting. Since then, folks like MJ, JG, Bigcy, Cru, etc...Have been patient and are always willing to help with our ID's which have actually taught many folks including the children of 4-h about the history and significance of the Items that might have normally went unidentified and voided from the children's question..."What is thaaaat?" For me, This is my "home page" at t-net and I rarely visit elsewhere. We get anywhere from 25-100 people coming through our lodge every day and a whole bunch of them end up huddled around our computers in our office at 4-h amazed at Treasurenet's "what is it" To see what people have found and the history of the artifact. We have sent many folks from all over to see the site and some have actually became charter members because of "what is it" forum. We have met good people and have detected with some of them creating lasting friendships. Kudos to whomever started....."What is it"
Sincerely, Staff and Children of 4-h Worldwide! www.swan4h.com
 
Upvote 0
Re: The Topic "What Is It"

When I got my first detector I began going ot the local MDing clubs and looking at their displays and would always have a hundred "What is that's". Naturally it was my curiosity that got me to reading the What Is It forum first every time. I wanted to learn something so I wouldn't be throwing away finds that were worth something monetary and historically. And believe me I've learned a lot and even can now recognize some of the things when I see them. Having been a shooter, and reloader and small time collector of firearms most of my life I occasionally can pitch in and ID some rifle and pistol cartridges, cases and bullets. No expert but well versed and I enjoy it. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Re: The Topic "What Is It"

If I can add some psycho-babble to an interesting post, my wife just finished reading a book on the pleasure centers of the brain. It was mostly about animals; cats for instance, and why they are always "searching". Scientists have managed to prove that when "searching", chemicals are introduced to the brain's pleasure centers which are addictive. We detectorists all suffer from this addiction in spades. It's just one more logical step from searching out material things to that of searching for answers. All of us on "what is it" are helpless addicts who are pumping chemicals into out pleasure centers! :headbang:
 
Upvote 0
Re: The Topic "What Is It"

Monty, good point about being a shooter and it helping to ID some items. Everyone on this topic is an "expert" on one or more subjects either through their job, hobby or interests.
You are good at shells, ammo and such, Buckleboy is good at buckles and I.....well, even a blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut. I get lucky sometimes.
Actually, I used to auction, buy, sell and refinish antiques. I've also been MD'ing for about 40 years.
Scott
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom