The White Sands Footprints: 21,000+ Years.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
https://www.nbcnews.com/science/sci...humans-north-america-21000-years-ago-rcna2169

attachment.php

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting comment in this BBC News coverage. Did these earlier arrivals go extinct??

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58638854

Gary Haynes, an emeritus professor at the University of Nevada, Reno, said: "I cannot find fault with the work that was done or with the interpretations - the paper is important and provocative.

"The trackways are so far south of the Bering land connection that we now have to wonder (1) if the people or their ancestors (or other people) had made the crossing from Asia to the Americas much earlier, (2) if people moved quickly through the continents after each crossing, and (3) if they left any descendants."

Dr Andrea Manica, a geneticist from the University of Cambridge, said the finding had important implications for the population history of the Americas.

"I can't comment on how reliable the dating is (it is outside my expertise), but firm evidence of humans in North America 23,000 years ago is at odds with the genetics, which clearly shows a split of Native Americans from Asians approximately 15-16,000 years ago," he told BBC News.

"This would suggest that the initial colonists of the Americas were replaced when the ice corridor formed and another wave of colonists came in. We have no idea how that happened."

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Interesting comment in this BBC News coverage. Did these earlier arrivals go extinct??

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58638854

Gary Haynes, an emeritus professor at the University of Nevada, Reno, said: "I cannot find fault with the work that was done or with the interpretations - the paper is important and provocative.

"The trackways are so far south of the Bering land connection that we now have to wonder (1) if the people or their ancestors (or other people) had made the crossing from Asia to the Americas much earlier, (2) if people moved quickly through the continents after each crossing, and (3) if they left any descendants."

Dr Andrea Manica, a geneticist from the University of Cambridge, said the finding had important implications for the population history of the Americas.

"I can't comment on how reliable the dating is (it is outside my expertise), but firm evidence of humans in North America 23,000 years ago is at odds with the genetics, which clearly shows a split of Native Americans from Asians approximately 15-16,000 years ago," he told BBC News.

"This would suggest that the initial colonists of the Americas were replaced when the ice corridor formed and another wave of colonists came in. We have no idea how that happened."

In my opinion, genetics is at odds with the firm evidence of humans in North America 23,000 years ago. I believe it to be quite the stretch for Dr Manica to suggest that the first peoples were replaced. There's always that "one".

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
A lot of these experts cannot wrap their intelligent minds around any other scenario than the "ice corridor". As long as they continue to ignore the intelligence of early man, they'll be stuck under that land bridge.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of these experts cannot wrap their intelligent minds around any other scenario than the "ice corridor". As long as they continue to ignore the intelligence of early man, they'll be stuck under that land bridge.

I wonder what a scientist would conclude if they started fresh with all of the evidence world-wide of ancient civilized man. They would have to discard the theories developed in the 19th century and I don't think that they would resurrect them anew based on modern evidence. In my uneducated opinion.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Boats! People got here by boats on both coasts. Boats were used by every culture with an ocean or lake environment. Used for thousands of years. They leave no trail, move relatively fast and because they are usually made of wood or skins so do not last long in nature. When Louis & Clark finally made it to the Pacific the natives were not impressed because they had been trading with the Russians. How? Boats, the Ruskies had boats, the Pacific Northwest NA's had giant canoes ocean worthy. Why stomp across a cold artic wasteland when you've been hunting hunting game out of boats for centuries? Just my 2 cents worth.

DaveSmith

May 26, 2020
western nc.....foothills
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haven't thought about it till now but seems like it would have been very doable by sailing during the day and camping overnight following a coast line.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread