fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I hope Y'all have a strong stomach! The first picture was taken in early 1973. I just got out of the Navy and bought the 1940 Ford to drive from California back to Georgia. With the help of a hitch hiker we made it! The second picture was taken about a month ago. In it I am holding the fireman's badge that I returned to the Methuen, Ma. fire department.
I can't believe that I haven't changed much in 50 years!:laughing7:

Attachments

• 20170120_221333.jpg
    20170120_221333.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 20210210_174845.jpg
    20210210_174845.jpg
    817.7 KB · Views: 167

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you brush up against a mail box on the way? Looks like some bondo was left at the scene..... than you got married and traded that car for a station wagon with a 4 barrel? I like to hear those stories too.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
The good old days, when you could pick up a hitch-hiker without any fear...

I try to give a ride to hitchers when ever I see, Mainly to just hurry them past and for that “goes around comes a round spirit”. I think it’s funny when I pull over and they skip on to passenger door open it up and flench little bit and say...” yea...ahhh...no thanks....” and shut the door....
It happens......

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't ya wish you had that Ford now...

Maybe, maybe not. I was young and didn't know a whole lot about old cars. I later found out that the X-frame was butchered to install a small block Chevy motor and Muncie 4-speed transmission. I found that out when I got in a drag race and the frame twisted!

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you brush up against a mail box on the way? Looks like some bondo was left at the scene..... than you got married and traded that car for a station wagon with a 4 barrel? I like to hear those stories too.

If you are referring to the whitish spot on the front fender, that is just a reflection. There probably was bondo somewhere but I never found any in the year I owned the car.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Actually, after I blew the motor and transmission up street racing I traded it for a 1950 Ford panel truck. I put shag carpet all over the interior and had a good time until I got married. Then I got into Pontiacs and I still have three.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 70s were just the purest of times on so many levels. If I recall it seems many of Americans were indifferent, but at least most were reading from the same pages. These days you never know what book their getting their information out of.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I hope Y'all have a strong stomach! The first picture was taken in early 1973. I just got out of the Navy and bought the 1940 Ford to drive from California back to Georgia. With the help of a hitch hiker we made it! The second picture was taken about a month ago. In it I am holding the fireman's badge that I returned to the Methuen, Ma. fire department.
I can't believe that I haven't changed much in 50 years!:laughing7:
Nice pictures Bet you wish you still had that car :) Thanks for serving also !1

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a brand new 1964 Ford Galaxy with a 4 speed and a 427 motor . I should have been arrested for CAR ABUSE . I beat the heck out of that car

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a brand new 1964 Ford Galaxy with a 4 speed and a 427 motor . I should have been arrested for CAR ABUSE . I beat the heck out of that car
They were made to be abused! I have beat several. But, there was always the next one!

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
The good old days, when you could pick up a hitch-hiker without any fear; and when cars came in all different colors and designs.
Don........
Late to the party here. But where I am in country Aus I still pick them up and if I really had to Id hitch hike. In central Victoria its like 20 yrs back. We still say "g,day mate" if we walk past someone and make eye contact, even the kids say g,day mate. Anyone broken down on the road only waits max 10 cars go past till someone stops to help, I stop for everyone. The old days still exists here where I am. But travel say 100 ks towards Melbourne from our town and its like apocalypse! Nobody stops, if they do they'll probably rob you. You see rubbish on the sides of the road, mattresses, bottles, Macca's junk, its like going from the 1990s nice to Mad Max in just 100ks.
Went there just a few days ago. Misses said "please, please, lets never go to Melbourne again!"
I agreed.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can still remember the canary yellow /67, well until the 390 crankshaft snapped at 90mph in passing gear.
That was one bouncy ride till she died in the gravel.
I grew up with a use/abuse/throw away vehicle lifestyle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread