What's new

Theory about why we still find a lot of silver halves

ringding

Hero Member
Joined
May 5, 2006
Messages
692
Reaction score
26
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
It is amazing how we are still finding silver loose halves and old halves in bank rolls. Seems like the percentage is much higher than what you see for quarters, dimes, etc.

Do you think it may be because casinos have been switching from coin operated slots to paper ticket machines and because of that they don't need their halves anymore. They may have had bags and boxes of halves in storage for years that were turned in to the Fed/armored car company when the machines were changed. I was at a casino in Feb and they were right in the middle of changing all of their half dollar slots to paper ticket machines.
 
Upvote 0
Casinos are only a very, very small part of it. The reason we find so many silver halves as compared to other denominations is because half dollars do not circulate like other denominations, and so the silver remains at the bank. Another reason is for years some people have socked away any halves they did receive, and are now turning them into the bank instead of looking to see if they have any silver and selling that silver.
 
I agree with both of you. And it is amazing. Enjoy it while it lasts. I just hope I'm not around this forum when things go sour and everyone starts complaining about not finding silver anymore. hahaha. To be honest, I'm surprised the Fed doesn't actively pull the old silver coins from circulation. Basically, if you play your cards right, which is to say you search lots of coins and watch your petrol, this hobby can be insanely profitable percentage-wise. With so many Americans pinching their pennies these days, it's no surprise that people are turning in coffee cans and piggie banks and any halves that have been lying around for years.
 
Keep in mind also you have folks who get their hands on their relative's coin collections and just spend them.

Also, thieves cash in any stolen collections they get.

So as long as there are coin collectors on this planet, we will find silver.
;D
 
Good point, Falcon. ---and a warning to be mindful of how and where you store your collection. And please, everyone, don't go around broadcasting that you're a coin collector, especially don't mention silver or gold. You never know who will hear or what they'll do.
 
MalteseFalcon said:
Also, thieves cash in any stolen collections they get.

;D

fiatboy said:
Good point, Falcon. ---and a warning to be mindful of how and where you store your collection. And please, everyone, don't go around broadcasting that you're a coin collector, especially don't mention silver or gold. You never know who will hear or what they'll do.

Very good points....a couple of weeks ago one morning my husband went out front to get the paper & the garbage truck was right in front of our house so he waited on them to dump our trash so he can bring the trash can back.

The trash guy commented that we must own a car wash or laundry mat because he always see the wrappers and coin boxes in our trash. That got our attention quick....never thought of that. So now I put my empty boxes and wrappers in a black trash bags and my husband brings them to a dumpster at his office. You just never know.

I keep most of my silver in safety deposit boxes when I get enough to bring....about every two weeks or so, but I still have coins lying around here during the interim.

Just thought I would share that little story.
 
Thanks for sharing, lj. That was a story that needed to be told.

And I don't know about you, but no matter how much I seem to clean, I always find some errant coin wrapper debris. haha.



As concerns why we still find silver halves, I also think that there are a lot of halves sitting around in people's homes, and every once in a while, someone decides to cash them in. I know people used to---and still do---think that the bicentennials are valuable. And when I spend my halves, some people get excited as if they're something special. (Well, to me, halves are something special. :) ) Those halves wind up in small accumulations that most likely never amount to much, and eventually, when some occasion arises, Mr. Saves-His-Halves is short on cash and cashes them in. Maybe a bill needs to be paid or father's day is coming up. Little does he know that Fiatboy is just waiting to snap up his hoard of Walkers the very next day. hehehe
 
lejeuene said:
Very good points....a couple of weeks ago one morning my husband went out front to get the paper & the garbage truck was right in front of our house so he waited on them to dump our trash so he can bring the trash can back.

The trash guy commented that we must own a car wash or laundry mat because he always see the wrappers and coin boxes in our trash. That got our attention quick....never thought of that. So now I put my empty boxes and wrappers in a black trash bags and my husband brings them to a dumpster at his office. You just never know.

I keep most of my silver in safety deposit boxes when I get enough to bring....about every two weeks or so, but I still have coins lying around here during the interim.

Just thought I would share that little story.

That's another reason why I like bags, very little trash to deal with.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom